Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Arkansas bucket list

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Erbie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taranwanderer
PARoadking1 and I just got back from our AR trip, 7 days, 3260 miles and 11 states from PA to AR and back. Thanks to everyone in this thread for the suggestions. The Talimena Scenic Drive was the high point of the trip for me, cool road and awesome scenery. Don't miss The Branding Iron for lunch in Mena when you're done, the chicken fried chicken was awesome. The Pig Trail was cool, too, "steep and curvy" as the signs said (just like I like my women!). Awesome trip, nice riding down there. Next time, it'll be for the BB&BBQ event.
If you are ever in the area again, go up highway 71 just a few miles to hwy 23 towards Eureka Springs beautiful highway and Eureka Springs was great the time I was there, there is a big cat zoo there and anything else you might want to see. I just loved the openess of hwy 23 and the thousand acre pastures with three or four cows in them, yeah, that's right, looks like ants the cows in some of the pastures and at times miles between the houses. First time I was on OK #1, the Talimena trail I was in a car and it snowed or started snowing and I turned around, forgot the number of the hwy I turned on to get back to US 270, not a sign of snow but I do the Talimena at least twice a year just to get away from it all. Just north of Little Rock, again forgot the name of the town is the elephant farm, where retired circus elephants are sent, I haven't been there yet one of those things I will do tomorrow, and am still waiting on tomorrow after about ten years or so. But if rain goes away I'm gone there tomorrow.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:26 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Elephants... Guy, AR.... http://www.elephantsanctuary.org
Riddle's elephant sanctuary

Old 09-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Erbie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by road king Q
Elephants... Guy, AR.... http://www.elephantsanctuary.org
Riddle's elephant sanctuary
You are right, just could not remember the name when I wrote that answer.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:38 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Two of us are off this morning for Arkansas, booked a cabin for three nights at Little Switzerland. Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas here on this thread it's been very helpful!

Old 09-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

HI've lived in Arkansas my whole life but have never been to Oark, Arkansas, until this week. Made a special trip over there to check out the general store and cafe . . . well worth the trip. I highly recommend you making it a lunch time stop, great food.

Last edited by Faulkner; 03-15-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

I’ll second stopping at the Cafe Faulkner.

We just returned and had a nice ride down there on some wonderful roads. Rather than my Harley I was on a brand x bike for this ride but it allowed us to take some roads off the beaten path so to speak. We took the advice on this thread and rented a cabin just a couple miles north of Jasper on Rt 7 ($75 per night). It worked out well for two of us as there was two bedrooms (one upstairs) and it was close to town. In the evenings we’d sit on the front porch and watch vehicles negotiate a Rt 7 “S turn” while enjoying a beverage. :-) Here are a few pics from the ride.

Front view from our cabin.

After stopping at the Cafe referenced by Faulkner we explored some near by gravel roads which is always fun.

Another “Ozark Cafe”, this one was in Jasper and we ate there a few times.

On the return through Kentucky we toured the Makers Mark Distillery. Perfect timing as staying in a dry county in Arkansas I’d depleted my bottle. So I picked up another one at the Makers Mark gift shop. :-)

This turned out to be a nice trip because in addition to Arkansas we enjoyed pleasant roads in Missouri, Kentucky, south east Ohio, and WV on the ride there and back.

Last edited by Ridewva; 09-21-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:43 PM
brandonwbeck
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend from work and I are planning a trip to the Ozarks and I have read a lot of great info here. I think we are going to stay at the Hub. Is there anything I need to know that has changed since this thread was last updated?
We are still planning the trip but looks like a 4 day weekend Mid May.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:25 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bkgabby
This June a buddy and our wives are riding to Arkansas from South Texas for a week long trip. Any must do's up there? We haven't decided on routes to take yet or a destination other than the fact that Arkansas is as far as we are going. Suggestions?
I have several routes posted, including ride from Houston to Mena - which includes Talimena Byway. Several other rides around Arkansas too if you go to www.hog.com and search my publicly posted rides - "Tod P." From Texas. You can download to your GPS as well.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:53 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

just bumping....
always the same old "what to in AR" questions

Pig trail 23 is out of business for a while. Plenty of great alternatives.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:09 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Travler
Around Mountain Home, AR you have Hwy 341 aka Push Mountain Road. You also have 123 from Mt. Judea to Hwy 7. Hwy 14 from Yellville to Allison, is a pretty road to ride. Hwy 9 from Allison to Melborne, sometimes a good road, sometimes a little rough around the edges. Scooter's Resturant at the Hub, south of Harrison (use to be Dogpatch) on Fri. & Sat. have some real good prime rib & steak...

PS: Watch for deer & reitred yankees...
This here,

Pig trail is currently closed just north of the Oark road turn off the road slid off the hillside due to rains just a week after they repaired it from the last slide, which is too bad because the trail south from Hwy 16 down to Oark road is the best part. If you do get down it run over to Oark and eat at the general store, the pie is pure heaven. Check idrivearkansas.com for closure updates they have had a lot of flooding, 7 was closed down by Camden earlier this month. My personal favorites are 123, 341, and 16 from Crosses all the way over to 123.

Quick Reply: Arkansas bucket list