Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Gaspe Peninsula..an Alternative to Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:20 AM
SunPilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gaspe Peninsula..an Alternative to Nova Scotia

I posted about my ride to Nova Scotia and I wanted to post another ride we took two years ago. This ride went along the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec. We love riding along water, so this was a natural trip for my group. Similar to the Nova Scotia ride, but closer, and a little less mountains, but still some awesome scenery.

The ride we took left NY and headed through Vermont to Montreal. From there we followed the north shore of the St Lawrence River to the beautiful city of Quebec. The downtown area is awesome, plenty of shops, restaurants, bars and night-life. The old part of town is a must see.

The route we took left Quebec and hugged the north shore of the St.L. River, as I mentioned. There are some beautiful spots along the way with some very nice roads. We made our way east to the town of Baie-Comeau, which sits at the end of the river where it empties into the Gulf of St. Lawrence. We took the ferry (free) across to the town of Matane. Matane sits on the northern shore of the Gaspe Peninsula. We rode west to east along the shore on Rt 132. It was lazy riding with endless water views. Little traffic, and quaint little seaside towns and villages.

I highly recommend this area for a relaxing ride. We went the whole way around to the border of New Brunswick, rode down to the end where N.B meets Maine at St. Leonard. From there, we made our way back through Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, and back to NY.

We did the entire trip in 8 days. A leisurely pace of 250-300 miles per day. The roads were in great condition and plenty of gas and motels along the way. If you don't have time to do Nova Scotia, I suggest this as an alternative, but it is also a worthy ride on it's own merit.

I've included some pics from along the way...Happy riding...

Attached Thumbnails Gaspe Peninsula..an Alternative to Nova Scotia-100_1196.jpg   Gaspe Peninsula..an Alternative to Nova Scotia-100_1260.jpg   Gaspe Peninsula..an Alternative to Nova Scotia-dscf0098.jpg   Gaspe Peninsula..an Alternative to Nova Scotia-dscf0101.jpg   Gaspe Peninsula..an Alternative to Nova Scotia-img_5218.jpg  

Old 02-28-2014, 11:22 AM
SunPilot
Tourer
Default A few more photos

There is so much to see, hope you all enjoy the photos

Attached Thumbnails Gaspe Peninsula..an Alternative to Nova Scotia-img_5267.jpg   Gaspe Peninsula..an Alternative to Nova Scotia-img_5278.jpg   Gaspe Peninsula..an Alternative to Nova Scotia-img_5309.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 12:03 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks for the great write up and pics. Brings back memories of a July ride from a few years back...from Montana around the Gaspe and on to Nova Scotia. Left Missoula thinking this ought to be interesting but the ride ended up being one of the best ever. We encountered very few tourists from the States and much of the time French was the dominant language....definitely made for a unique experience. Good times and great folks along the way.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the pics, makes it all real!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

I have some friends from Gaspe and they are party animals, the best that Quebec has to offer.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:50 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did this ride in 2011. This should be a destination on everyone's bucket list. Coastal scenery was spectacular, but watch out for Moose when coming back through New Brunswick.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

I truly enjoy reading about trips like this. I will never get to ride some of this country myself, but it's nice going along with you on your adventures this way. I don't even have to get saddle sore

LiiT

Old 03-01-2014, 08:12 AM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I did Gaspe in June 2004. My only suggestion is do it later in the summer months. We had cold rain for most of the trip. Nice folks at Rimouski Harley dealer.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:39 AM
SunPilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by skidder
I have some friends from Gaspe and they are party animals, the best that Quebec has to offer.
We partied in Quebec City...what an awesome place

Old 03-01-2014, 09:41 AM
SunPilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by howitzer88
I did Gaspe in June 2004. My only suggestion is do it later in the summer months. We had cold rain for most of the trip. Nice folks at Rimouski Harley dealer.
Good advice. We went in mid-summer...I'm thinking late July. The weather was very nice, warm and pleasant. We only had some rain on the last day when we were coming through Vermont and NY.