Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Coeur d'Alene to Astoria, Or via Columbia River Gorge

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:19 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coeur d'Alene to Astoria, Or via Columbia River Gorge

I've been planning a trip out west the last few weeks. Plan to leave NC in June with 4-5 weeks time table. I was originally planning to head to Jackson Hole, Yellowstone and Glacier after spending time in Tx, Colorado, NM and Ut. Now I'm thinking, hell I've just been thru the coldest winter I can remember, why go there in June. I've been to all those places a couple of times before but never on my bike. I was really looking forward to camping, hiking and riding Yellowstone but maybe I should save that for another trip.

So I'm thinking go somewhere different. I'd like to see more of Idaho and Oregon and then follow the coast south to Big Sur or some point south before heading back east to NC.

I've read a number of posts here but I'm still seeking info on a good scenic route from Coeur d'Alene to Astoria. I'll be pulling a camper so I don't want too technical but scenic and non slab. A good daily distance on a two lane is 250 - 300. I know I want to follow the Columbia River Gorge; other than that I'd like to hear from those with first hand experience. I've been in the area only once; from Glacier NP to Portland. I was towing a big fifth wheel and I don't remember a lot but I do remember the Gorge and I remember being in Washington State, near Walla Walla I believe, and thinking the topography was unusual.

So any suggestions on routes, campgrounds and/or sites would be welcome. Thanks All!

Attached Thumbnails Coeur d'Alene to Astoria, Or via Columbia River Gorge-rgu-and-bunk.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 10:23 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,101 Likes on 1,914 Posts

If you want to enjoy the Gorge stay on the Washington side of the river. The Oregon side is all Freeway.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

mhud...I ride out of Coeur d'Alene (CdA) most of the time so I'll offer my $.02. If you're starting in CdA and want to stay 2-lane US95 looks pretty logical on the map but I've found it to be pretty dull & with too many chip trucks between CdA and Lewiston. Instead, take a look at ID97 (CdA Scenic Byway) that takes you to St. Maries, ID and from there find ID6, ID9 and ID3 to Julietta as you make your way to Lewiston. ID97 has lots of curves as it follows the lake's shoreline but I wouldn't call it technical unless you're in a big hurry. Very scenic with nice views of Lake Coeur d'Alene.

Certainly agree with my neighbor in Sandpoint above.....Washington side is a great ride through The Gorge and west of Lewiston you can cross over at the bridge in Umatilla. With that RG and camper you're in for some high times along the Oregon and Cali coast, especially OR where it's one state park after another.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:34 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
mhud...I ride out of Coeur d'Alene (CdA) most of the time so I'll offer my $.02. If you're starting in CdA and want to stay 2-lane US95 looks pretty logical on the map but I've found it to be pretty dull & with too many chip trucks between CdA and Lewiston. Instead, take a look at ID97 (CdA Scenic Byway) that takes you to St. Maries, ID and from there find ID6, ID9 and ID3 to Julietta as you make your way to Lewiston. ID97 has lots of curves as it follows the lake's shoreline but I wouldn't call it technical unless you're in a big hurry. Very scenic with nice views of Lake Coeur d'Alene.

Certainly agree with my neighbor in Sandpoint above.....Washington side is a great ride through The Gorge and west of Lewiston you can cross over at the bridge in Umatilla. With that RG and camper you're in for some high times along the Oregon and Cali coast, especially OR where it's one state park after another.
Really a pretty ride on the east aide of the lake! Exit Idaho via Potlach into Colfax ,WA down HWY 26,HWY 127to 12 South Stop at the great little coffee shop in Waitsburg. Through Walla Walla West on 12 until 703 and The River(Columbia). Crossover at Umatillia make sure the tank is full because when it's blowing your straight into the wind.See the Stone Hendge Memorial at Maryhill cross The River for gas.Keep heading West on 14 Washington side to Vancouver. Decision time either cross into Portland and take Hwy 30 to Astoria or Hwy 26 to Cannon Beach.The Oregon Coast is spectacular on a bike. Florence ,Oregon is cool ,Newport, Gold Beach. You are in for a RIDE.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:37 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 AM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys, what is the Oregon weather like in late June?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

The rainy season officially ends on the 4th of July...seriously. So, end of June you can still get some rain so be prepared.

BTW...my $.02...I agree the Oregon side of the gorge is more like a freeway. But, consider switching to the Oregon side at the Bridge of the Gods , then take the Historic Columbia River Highway west of there. This is a winding two lane...and sometimes congested road the passes all of the waterfalls that are a must see. Then cross over to the Washington side on the 205 bridge.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:04 AM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

if you cab put the trip off till the middle of july then the weather will be more favorable

Old 03-31-2014, 12:01 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by deano360
if you cab put the trip off till the middle of july then the weather will be more favorable
I agree .

Old 03-31-2014, 11:33 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Think about turning your trip over. Hit the Cali coast in July and get to Portland early August. Oregon Coast is Wonderful in August. Swing through Black Hills S. Dakota on the way home, good through September.

Quick Reply: Coeur d'Alene to Astoria, Or via Columbia River Gorge