Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas to Tombstone

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:40 PM
jory434
Road Warrior
Received 474 Likes on 253 Posts
Default Texas to Tombstone

San Angelo to Van Horn…

We had planned this trip in about 2 weeks while we were off for spring break. Head west to Arizona to check out the sites in and around Tombstone and Bisbee, then back to Ruidoso for a couple nights before heading home.. All in all its 5 nights and 6 days and we are ready to get the heck outta town!

First morning is aways the fun part of the trip... We are trying to figure out how much we can stuff in a touring saddlebag. The luggage rack gets used for the first time since last spring break to Louisiana. Got the Kuryakyn bag strapped to the bike and we are neeearly ready. My gf is asks if she can pack her hair dryer. My answer is “absolutely”, and immediately after I say that I go stuff my foot into “her” saddlebag to compact her clothes a little tighter. The last time I told her we didn’t have room, the hotel didn’t have a hair dryer and I REMEMBER THAT!! Smart spouses remember this stuff right?? We get finalized in the packing process, I back the bike out to warm it up, we put our chaps on and we are on time to meet my parents at 9 a.m.

The weather is marginal, but good considering it could be icy. We put off our trip to Arkansas because of the constant threat of Blizzards. Leaving San Angelo, it was misting. Just enough to make it hard to see through my glasses, but it cleared up by Iraan. We stop for fuel in Iraan and learn there isn’t a place to eat there open on Saturday morning. AWESOME. I love traveling on an empty stomach then learning that the town that is next on the road doesn’t feed people. Stick of beef jerky and a cup of coffee for breakfast and we hit I-10. I know Im gonna get flamed for making this statement, but I love the interstate in this part of Texas. The views are better than side roads a lot of times, the road surface is usually great, and the constant threat of an oilfield truck pulling out in front of you greatly diminishes. Maybe not a popular opinion, but I’m sticking to my guns on this one. I ride much more relaxed running 80 mph and watching the mile markers go by. This is a destination day after all.. we are ready to be in Arizona.

We run hard to Fort Stockton for fuel and lunch. K-bobs was our stop. That’s all im gonna say about that.

After Fort Stockton I am appreciating the scenery more and more. Some people hate looking at dirt and rocks (as they say), but this part of Texas is beautiful to me. You can see forever, no towns to slow you down, traffic was light, and the weather was pretty. Cool, no sun in my eyes, the bike is loving it, my mom and dad are in my mirror. We are nearly to Van Horn and stop and pull over for a breather. We are 60 or so miles from a beer, a meal at Chuy’s and our Hotel.

Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-1.jpgTexas to Tombstone-tombstone-2.jpg

We slide into Van Horn, check in at the Whitten Inn, and head down the street for a meal that I had been looking forward to all day!! I recommend the hotel and the meal at Chuy’s. Its nothing special but the service was great and the beer was cold.

At the hotel after a good day of riding..

Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-3.jpg

Tomorrow..… Shootout at the O.k. Corral

Last edited by jory434; 04-08-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Was in AZ a few years back, I loved that state. Wouldn't mind moving there if I ever retire.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I would agree with you on the Interstate in that part of Texas. Been on it many times. Bikes look nice Too!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been to Tombstone three time. Tombstone is a cool place. Have fun there.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 AM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Lovin' the vicarious trip so far. I agree - once you are west of San Antonio, I - 10 is good riding, despite being interstate. Good scenery for sure.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:30 AM
srt8
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cant wait to get home and put some miles on mine enjoy the trip

Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 AM
jory434
Road Warrior

Westward to the Border…

We got up pretty early Sunday morning ready for a long day of riding. The Whitten Inn had a big coffee pot in the lobby, and I was making full use of it when daylight hit. I was already thinking how good that coffee was gonna taste in my cupholder while I was riding. The temps were in the mid 40’s that morning, so every bit of warmth helps. The sun was supposed to shine, and we had about 400 miles ahead of us. Yesterday had been a “short” day by our standards. Its funny, I can remember when 30 miles on my first bike ( a heritage softail) felt like a good long ride. Now anything less than a couple hundred miles isn’t a big deal at all.

We figure a breakfast in El Paso will hit at about the right time, and we will have a few more choices than Van Horn offers. Google tells us about a place called "CRAVE". My first thoughts were "man, than sounds kinda trendy", and I was right... We thundered up to the front door, park the bikes, and stroll in the joint. Our presence isnt quite as upsetting as I thought it would be (thank goodness). The crowd is mostly people in flip flops and fanny packs, maybe a backpack sitting in the booth next to them. Reminded me of being in Austin ... BUT, the food was awesome!! Good coffee too.

We had plans to stop a couple blocks from CRAVE at Barnett's HD and walk around and check it out too. The girls havent seen that dealer and if you have never seen it, its worth checking out. Its BIG. Real BIG. I have to admit, I'm kinda over the whole Harley dealer thing, but I dont mind looking at patron's bikes in the parking lot. Thats the fun part for me. A t-shirt has to be pretty freaking cool these days to make me spend 45 bucks on it

Pic outside of Barnetts
Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-4.jpg

After Barnetts, we make the dangerous trek through El Paso on the interstate, and basically scream across New Mexico. The interstate was actually in pretty good condition.

Somewhere in New Mexico. I think we are in Deming here..

Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-5.jpg

We fuel up a couple times on the interstate, and start looking for the hwy 80 turnoff to head south to Douglas on the border, then up through Bisbee to Tombstone. There are parts of Arizona that I thought were very pretty, and the run on hwy 80 is AWESOME.

Highway 80 "artsy" shot

Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-8.jpg

As soon as we turned south off the interstate, we can see snow capped mountains. In west Texas, this doesnt happen, so we are pumped. We run 80 down to Douglas taking in all the scenery.

Pic by the Arizona sign

Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-6.jpg

Douglas is about as close to Mexico as you can be without crossing the border. Border Patrol make their presence known on every street. We fueled up in Douglas again, and head northwest towards Bisbee, and Tombstone. We plan on checking out Bisbee on Monday, but today we are headed straight to Tombstone.

The ride to Tombstone through Bisbee was the end of a long day of riding, but it is without a doubt one of the prettiest rides Ive ever done. Long distance views, good road, good turns, a TUNNEL!!! Ive never been through a Tunnel in my whole life. If you think a Harley sounds good running down an open road, ride that B**** through a tunnel!!! LOL.

We roll into Tombstone, and it looks just like any other town you have ever been to. A few boutiques, a 7-11, and some hotels. I see a small sign that points towards the "old tombstone". We make out way to the Landmark Lookout Lodge and get checked in. There are a few bikes in the parking lot so I figure we arent the only ones that figured Arizona is a good Spring Break trip. The hotel service was great.

We get unloaded, and fire up the bikes to ease downtown to find something to eat. We hit the street to find an adult beverage and find Big Nose Kates. The place has "Tombstone" playing on a big screen. I found this funny. To me, it kind of took away from the history of the joint. Lots of movie stuff in there. We hear the Longhorn Saloon is a good place to eat so we find it and eat a meal. We had eaten light all day since we were on the road, so it didnt matter what the meal tasted like, as long as it has food involved. Come to find out all the "popular" old bars are now owned by one company. Some of this is starting to make sense. LOL. We talk about the day over dinner and all the pretty scenery. I think thats what I enjoy about traveling on motorcycle. Its not like a car, you see and experience so many elements on the road. How often do you actually get to smell road kill in a car??

My write up about Monday will tell a little more about the town and the sites we saw, but for tonight we just made it to these two joints..

Big Nose Kates
Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-7.jpg

We call it a pretty early night, and know we will see the rest the next day.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:27 PM
jory434
Road Warrior

The Breakfast Club and beyond...

Monday morning I get up early and head down the maze of stairs at the hotel. Its a 3 story building thats shaped like a lightning bolt so the trek to the lobby for a cup of coffee takes some logistics..

Coffee in Tombstone
Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-9.jpg

When we all get up and going we dress warm, but dont have to pack and haul luggage today. This is a rare convenience on a long trip, but we are staying here again tonight, so we can actually ride without looking like Clark Griswold after he picked out his christmas tree in the forest. The Bisbee Breakfast Club came highly recommended, so we aim to find it and eat. The ride down to Bisbee was about 20 miles, and the scenery looks different this morning. We had been up this same road yesterday, but it looks different headed the opposite direction.

On our way to Bisbee
Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-11.jpg

One thing I had heard about Bisbee but kind of forgot was the copper mine. MAN that thing is a big hole in the ground. We read the history at the roadside park on the road coming into Bisbee, and gazed into the copper colored cave that the mining process has made. The Bisbee Breakfast Club was just around the corner. We ate and that place is terrific, we would definitely go back in a heartbeat.

A nice man sitting next to us in the restaraunt informed me that they were very bike friendly around these parts, and that the buildings down the street were owned by the man that owns The Broken Spoke in Sturgis. We have been to The Broken Spoke Saloon so we walked down and checked it out. I cant remember the gentleman's name that owns it, but he has quite a few bikes on display in old storefronts in Bisbee. Lots of old memorabilia and cars packed in the buildings.

My dad and I in Bisbee (no Polaris products sold here)

Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-13.jpg

We planned on letting the girls shop in Bisbee, but the historic district was all but shut down. We checked out some of the old homes that are basically built on the side of cliffs on our way out. Very cool town. It seemed to be frozen in time somewhat..

First thing we do when we get back is go to Boot Hill Cemetery. The pictures explain themselves lol

Attached Thumbnails Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-10.jpg   Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-12.jpg  

Last edited by jory434; 04-09-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:32 PM
jory434
Road Warrior

Next we run over to the court house. Lots of neat history and reading in the courthouse. It told real "non-movie" stories about what happened here in the 1800's, and how the government went about getting it all under control. Everything in the courthouse is authentic, and the floors feel old under your feet.. Really neat place for a history lesson.

We jump on the bikes to check out Allen Street, and all the old dwellings and saloons. I enjoyed seeing all the different buildings, and they look a lot like what i thought they would look like, but its obvious that they are very "touristy". We were tourists (minus the fanny packs) too, but buying a Tombstone keychain or collector spoon wasn't what I was looking for. It almost reminded me of Wall Drug in South Dakota. Kinda funny, but still enjoyable.

Now, that being said...the Birdcage Theater is AWESOME. The Bar is the same, the stairs are the same, the poker table under the stage is the same, the wood floor is the same. Its very authentic and its obvious. Lots of memorabilia is at the back of the stage, including the wagon that carried all the murdered folks to Boot Hill Cemetery. The host tells us that the Bar and Piano that is in the theater came from Pennsylvania and around the Southern Peninsula of South America before being put on a wagon in San Francisco and coming to Tombstone. That's a trip!

Poker Room (authentic mannequins)

Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-14.jpg

Balconies (I think I see Val Kilmer)

Texas to Tombstone-tombstone-16.jpg

Of course before the end of the tour you get to make a pass through the Souvenir Store in case you are collecting Tombstone Trucker Hats or need another copy of a "Tombstone" DVD...

Next stop was the Tombstone Harley Davidson T shirt store. Its lime green and it was on the clearance rack. I'm weak what can I say. That evening we planned on running out to Sonoita for a meal at The Steak Out Restaurant. We get to the restaurant after a great ride west, and enjoy a great meal. Lots of bikes on the road when we get to Sonoita, and thats a good feeling. We get done eating tooooo much, and load ourselves back on the bikes. By the time we get on the road the sun is going down, the wind is non-existant, and the scenery is great! All of the riding in Arizona was great and I know that tomorrow we start heading back towards home, so I am enjoying it while I can..

Back in Tombstone I stop and the store for a 12 pack, and get in line at the register. In from of me is a older guy with a duster, spurs, boots, and scarf....and a name tag... He tries to make small talk with my girlfriend until he realized she is walking in to stand with me in line. He obviously knows the cashier, and then proceeds to buy his nightly bottle of cheap whiskey. I guess he just got done with his shootout, and needed a drink. I know I would. He motored away in his Chevy Luv, and we got on the bike and headed back to the hotel for a drink on the porch.

The sky was clear, the air was clean, and the beer was cold. What a great day!! Tomorrow we would be running hard to Ruidoso for a couple of nights at the Inn of the Mountain Gods.

Tomorrow....East Bound and Down

Last edited by jory434; 04-09-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:04 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Man, next trip out, head up to the grand canyon, flagstaff, sedona, jerome area. new mexico around Riudoso and Cloudcroft is pretty cool. great story so far!

Quick Reply: Texas to Tombstone