Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Texas

Just returned from a wonderful ride to Texas. I rode to Nashville then stayed on smaller roads down the Natchez Trace to the Louisiana coast. Then around Houston to the coastal plain area, over to Hill Country (335, 336, 337, etc,) and back across NE Texas to Oklahoma, Mena Arkansas, 123 and some other great roads, Missouri, Tenessee, Kentucky and back to northern WV. Just over 3,900 miles.

My observations of Texas are; it has some very nice roads to ride on, speed limits of 70-75 for two lane roads is nice. Every other vehicle (including police vehicles) is a white pick-up with a brush guard on the front. More lush grass and trees than I expected, of course it was April and I didn't get much farther west than San Antonio. Lots of economic activity. All the people I came in contact with were very friendly. I ate at a couple good Mexican restaurants but never got around to barbecue, so I guess I'll need to go back .

In Arkansas and Kentucky I stayed just ahead of the severe weather coming from the west and actually experienced no rain the entire 8 day ride!

Sign on one of the Hill Country roads.

Oklahoma just across Red River

Last edited by Ridewva; 04-28-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like you had a nice ride. Glad you made it home safely.

Thanks for your nice comments about Texas. I hope the Mexican food you had was of our famous TexMex variety. If you missed having BBQ, it's our other claim to fame. You're right, you'll have to come back and try Cooper's in Llano, are any of the three BBQ joints in the little town of Lockhart. Don't forget the Salt Lick near Austin or Mueller's BBQ in Taylor. There's also a Cooper's in Fort Worth.

Just food for thought.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:27 AM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Its always nice to hear someone's comments from outside the state. If you missed some real Texas BBQ then YES you need to return one day for that. Texas can be quite different depending on where you are in the state. Come back Soon!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

I'll make a point to ride back. I'd like to spend maybe 2-3 days based in Fredericksburg and a day near Austin. I stopped for breakfast at the OST in Bandera, there were quite a number of bikes there even though it was Friday.

Something else I noticed coming from Mississippi and Louisiana and crossing into Texas was the change to overall tidiness, lack of (or much less) litter. The homes including modest ones were kept up and the store fronts and city streets were clean.
WV is a beautiful state but it also has a lot of areas where people don't seem to take pride. I don't understand how a family can just roll the old washing machine or junk out in the back (or front!) yard? You have a pick-up truck so take it to the dump.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:29 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
I'll make a point to ride back. I'd like to spend maybe 2-3 days based in Fredericksburg and a day near Austin. I stopped for breakfast at the OST in Bandera, there were quite a number of bikes there even though it was Friday.

Something else I noticed coming from Mississippi and Louisiana and crossing into Texas was the change to overall tidiness, lack of (or much less) litter. The homes including modest ones were kept up and the store fronts and city streets were clean.
WV is a beautiful state but it also has a lot of areas where people don't seem to take pride. I don't understand how a family can just roll the old washing machine or junk out in the back (or front!) yard? You have a pick-up truck so take it to the dump.
Oh, Texas has that too....take a ride through a few East Texas towns and you will find it. Heck, just go by my moms house in Grapeland. She has an Ambulance in her yard.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

LOL I know everywhere has it but few have it to the extent of WV, eastern Kentucky, Mississippi, Louisiana, some of South Carolina, etc.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 PM
jory434
Road Warrior
Received 474 Likes on 253 Posts

Glad you enjoyed your time on the bike, I am gonna do the Texas thing this weekend too

Old 04-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jory434
Glad you enjoyed your time on the bike, I am gonna do the Texas thing this weekend too

LOL I'm sure you'll have fun! Sometime for a change head on up to WV/ eastern TN /KY sometime.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:41 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I've ridden across Texas a couple of times. east of Dallas is much better riding than west of Dallas. Last year I rode from Antlers OK to Paris TX, then SE to Shreveport. It was a great ride. Lots of greenery, rolling hills, lakes, etc. West of Dallas through Abilene or Amarillo is not nearly as scenic.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
........ lack of (or much less) litter. The homes including modest ones were kept up and the store fronts and city streets were clean.......
We have full time cleaning crews.

Y'all come back any time!

Quick Reply: Texas