Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Heading to Nova Scotia in August

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I (we) are planning a trip to PEI, NS, and possibly NF next summer.
At this time, the plan is for me and my friend riding up and having our wives flying in to either in to Charlottesville (PEI) or Halifax (NS).

I like the idea of having a base and doing daily rides but I also want to make sure that the wives get to see as much in a week or so as possible.

We're not sure if the wives will be interested in (or will have enough time) to make the NF leg of the trip but it's possibility.
I'd like to take the "eastern", longer ferry ride up, and the "southern" ferry ride back to NS.

Those who are going up this summer, or folks who live nearby, tips on "must see" locations, great restaurants and lodging would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:31 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Just thought that I'd "bump" my last post.

We're still seriously thinking about NS and NF this coming (2015) year and would appreciate relevant info for lodging, ferries, etc.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:58 AM
MarcV125
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...bot-trail.html

We did this late August of this year..It was truly one of the nicest rides that i think can possible be..
We too rode the Nova Star ferry from Portland to Yarmouth. I would say this, it worked out perfect to take us from Ma to NS because it left at 9 in the evening. There is a lot to see/eat/do in Portland so arrive early so you can explore Portland. Coming home though, for us anyways, didnt make sense for us to take the ferry as the ferry leaves NS at 9am and its a 12 hour ferry, so to us it would have felt like a wasted day. So instead on the way home we took the Trans Canadian highway from Baddeck and stopped in Bangor Ma for the night and then continued on. If you do stop in Bangor make sure to stop and eat at Moe's Original Bar B Que...EXCELLENT BBQ .
With the ferry dont pay for the "reserved" seating as they are the same seats to sleep as the rest except you have a "reserved" spot, and there were PLENTY of seating available. Or obviously you can do a cabin if your not worried about the $$$..
Make sure to ride it counterclockwise like others have said.. We stayed in Baddeck at the Trailsman Motel which is about 15 miles out from the start of the trail..Nothing fancy by any means but was a beautiful,clean 2 night stay..

Check out my thread if you have any questions feel free..

marc

Last edited by MarcV125; 12-28-2014 at 07:07 AM. Reason: more info