Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

19 days, 33 states and 10,045 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:08 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 224 Likes on 127 Posts

I sooooooooooooo want to do this....bucket list for sure!!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:00 AM
9one1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I appreciate you all following along because if not then what's the point .

Old 08-21-2014, 09:19 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Awesome!

Best part? It's not just 100% scenery pics. You're really giving us a feel for your trip.

Cool!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:55 AM
9one1
Tourer
Default Day 7

After thawing out by way of my heated jacket liner on max for about an hour I was feeling pretty good! I headed out and finished out the Beartooth Highway and picked up Chief Joseph Highway back to Cody WY then into Yellowstone. That was a norther great stretch of road as was the ride into Yellowstone. Once inside the park I wasn't as impressed. A lot to do with the traffic and the awesome scenery I've seen up to this point. I made my through the park then headed south in the Grand Tetons NP but with the line painting operation going on and the accompanied traffic didn't go all the way down and turned back heading to Old Faithful. Waited the hour for that then headed out the west exit and then north. I ended up staying at a KOA in Bozeman MT.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 AM
9one1
Tourer
Default Day 7 cont.

Made it to the KOA in Bozeman and set up next to a giant Class A RV . The couple were nice and from Southern Utah. We talked for a bit about my trip then the husband broke out the map!! We talked about Utah and my original plan which was to just hit Arches NP. He told me that Bryce Canyon and Zion were definitely spots to visit so I added them to my list and reworked my trip. I happened to be a day ahead at this point because I didn't stay that extra night in Sturgis. The next day my plan was to hit Glacier NP and the Road to the Sun! I grabbed a pizza and a couple of beers at the recommended Pizza Spot near the campground then hit the sack.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 AM
chipguy1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great reading! Your write up and pictures are really entertaining. Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us.
Tom

Old 08-21-2014, 11:11 AM
bballkking1
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Awesome report! I'm following!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:22 AM
9one1
Tourer
Default Day 8

I slept great that night with no bears to worry about and the ear plugs helped. I love Montana and their 70 mph out side of the city limits on rural 2 lane highways, you can make great time. I cruised through the state NB passed Helena. I was watching my range gauge tick down the miles as passed a 1 pump station. Pffft....I'll hit the next one I said to myself, then I hit the detour sign. Hmmmm....because of my stubbornness or stupidity I didn't turn back I carried on. Once the readout stopped showing miles and just said low range I slowed down from the 70 mph I had been riding to a fuel sipping double nickel and began to sweat! I lucked out though as the detour took me out right at gas station where I filled up with 5.8 gal into my 6 gal tank and carried on. I was getting hungry at this point because I skipped breakfast and the. I remembered from my camping neighbors that there wasn't much in Saint Mary the town just outside of the eastern entrance. I did find a little place and grabbed a $12 sandwich and a drink before heading inside the park.

I forgot that the day before I fueled up and went inside to grab some Gatorade and found this.....in MT they take the cowboy thing serious!

GLACIER!! Definitely one of my favorites on the trip!

I was warned about the traffic going in and to expect delays as they are paving. It wasn't bad at all.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 AM
9one1
Tourer
Default Day 8 cont.

Campgrounds were all full on this side of the park as was the KOA. I kept heading west found that the KOA in Whitefish had a couple of sites. It was my favorite KOA thus far. Nice site.

I didn't mentIon that the day before I called around to HD dealerships along my route to see about getting an oil change and new rear tire. I found one, Glacier HD who do a 1st come first serve and they had my rear tire in stock!

Homemade dehydrated chili and some Jack and Pepsi (no coke at the camp store) was dinner!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM
9one1
Tourer

For cameras I was using my iPhone 5s, GoPro and a little WiFi Samsung camera.

Apps I used:

CoPilot HD- works great and you can change the route as you go very handy. Works without a cell phone signal.

ALLSTAYS Camp and tent- life saver for finding a campsite. Works without a cell phone signal and I've found many campgrounds by just using the GPS feature of the app/phone and following it right to the campground. Must have app for anyone that motocamps.

KOA- great when you have service and when you are planning your trip.

Hotels.com- for your hotel needs! I usually paid the same price just walking in and asking for the AAA discount.

Quick Reply: 19 days, 33 states and 10,045 miles