Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

110 CI Engine rapping???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:54 AM
SMSgt B
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing here. The hotter it gets the more it sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling or bad pinging coming from the engine. Once the temp comes down it goes away. Changing out pipes and intake today so hopefully this might help. If not, I think I will add an oil cooler next.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:05 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Wow...you'd think spending +$30K for a bike it should run/sound like a million. As others indicate - gotta be something w/set-up b/c seems pretty common. Probably just the noise of your 110 beast com'n to life.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 PM
hornhonker
Tourer

Never any unusual noises here. Engine is very quiet.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Earl IV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove a 2010 CVO Convertible before I bought my Fat Boy.

I noticed a lot of valvetrain noise in the CVO, but probably more so since the stock exhaust was so quiet.

My Fat Boy has a noisy compensator, if I lug the engine down below 2000rpms it sounds like a 5lb sledge hammer rolling around inside.

In both cases the dealer(s) said it's normal (although they claim the SE compensator is quieter... possibly trying to make a sale)

Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 AM
LabRat07
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The valve train on the 110's clatters and think the lowers, etc on an Ultra direct more of the sound back to you. I just got used to the sound and chalk it up to being normal since I've got about 30k miles on the bike and it has been trouble free. It was very unnerving at first and was worse until I changed out my pipes and AC to get the engine breathing better because it is definitely worse the hotter the engine.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:01 PM
NLeischen
3rd Gear
Default 110 CVO Motor Noise

I have a 2010 CVO Ultra. After 1000 miles it started making noise. There was a tap-tap-tap and a clack-clack-clack. Brought it to many dealers. They all said that it was normal 110 noise. Finally on road trip Groves H-D in Winchester VA had several techs with a stethoscope check it out and concluded that it was a bad valve (roller) lifter. Groves is a great dealership, awesome customer service!

When I got back to Florida at Orlando H-D South (Kissimee) Steve Smart the Service Manager and his Techs checked it out and said it was lifters and suspected more problems. Will Swart the GM also got involved and was in agreement. Wow! What a great dealer. Been riding 30 years and have never been so impressed.

They tore it down (34k miles) and found many problems. Reconditioned heads, new lifters, rockers, pistons-rings, cams and oil pump. Also replaced a severely worn compensator. Basically a rebuild. All covered by ESP! Never a question about me paying the bill.

I was so impressed that I bought a new Limited from them. Even that was a great deal.

Normal noises my ***!

Old 10-25-2014, 01:24 PM
NLeischen
3rd Gear
Default CVO 110 Motor Noise

I have a 2010 CVO Ultra. After 1000 miles it started making noise. There was a tap-tap-tap and a clack-clack-clack. Brought it to many dealers. They all said that it was normal 110 noise. Finally on road trip Groves H-D in Winchester VA had several techs with a stethoscope check it out and concluded that it was a bad valve (roller) lifter. Groves is a great dealership, awesome customer service!

When I got back to Florida at Orlando H-D South (Kissimee) Steve Smart the Service Manager and his Techs checked it out and said it was lifters and suspected more problems. Will Swart the GM also got involved and was in agreement. Wow! What a great dealer. Been riding 30 years and have never been so impressed.

They tore it down (34k miles) and found many problems. Reconditioned heads, new lifters, rockers, pistons-rings, cams and oil pump. Also replaced a severely worn compensator. Basically a rebuild. All covered by ESP! Never a question about me paying the bill.

I was so impressed that I bought a new Limited from them. Even that was a great deal.

Normal noises my ***!

Old 10-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

The 110 is a noisy motor, every dealer I have run mine by has told me the same thing, "that's normal".

The longer the ride the more noise you'll hear. 250 mile ride last friday up to Austin, rattling like a solid lifter gear driven camshaft small block chevy. By the time I got back to Corpus that evening (500 miles round trip) it sounded like it was going to shell out.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I may just be lucky but mine makes no more noise than my 103.

Glad you found a good shop....

Old 10-29-2014, 09:16 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

My 12 cvo came apart at 18k due to a failed lifter. The 110 valve train is the primary problem along with crappy lifters. Lifters are a maintenance issue on the 110 and should be changed regularly (like every 15k)
The 255 cam due to its design has a higher lift and drop point on the cam lobes and puts pressure on the roller portion of the lifter and rocks it in the lifter bore. In addition the 110 uses overly heavy valve springs and this causes more pressure on the valve train further aggravating the issue.

What all this causes is a noisey valve train.

To solve. Replace lifters with brand name. (S&S) replace cams. And get more correct valve springs.

Your problems will decline and your engine will be improved. Or buy Esp and let CNA pay for a half *** build.

Your choice.

By the way, ESP paid to rebuild my 110 and i worked with the repair facility to build it right and it cost more than ESP reimbursed. ESP will not pay to clean the oil pan or oil cooler after you have dumped metal in the engine after a mechanical failure

Beware

Quick Reply: 110 CI Engine rapping???