Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1984 FLT EVO sprocket shaft question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:35 AM
kino44
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1984 FLT EVO sprocket shaft question?

My 1984 FLT EVO has a shovel bottom end if you look at the PIC of my sprocket shaft you can see there is an angle cut at the ends of the splines? I cant figure out what would have caused this? maybe they were purposely cut like that? not sure? seems like nothing rides on the ends? opinions please, should I replace it?

Old 10-08-2014, 01:57 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

lots of idiots floating around between bowls and i am not shocked to see that at all if i remember i will post up the one that just came in he tryed to saw the nut off and cut the shaft as well --

who knows why he did that - if you dont see cracks in what he did i would re use it as it is at the end and in no way will it effect the spline on the insert -- but all bets are off if you see any cracks he might have been removing one ?????????

Old 10-08-2014, 04:21 PM
kino44
Tourer
Default spline

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
lots of idiots floating around between bowls and i am not shocked to see that at all if i remember i will post up the one that just came in he tryed to saw the nut off and cut the shaft as well --

who knows why he did that - if you dont see cracks in what he did i would re use it as it is at the end and in no way will it effect the spline on the insert -- but all bets are off if you see any cracks he might have been removing one ?????????

You would be amazed at some of the halfass crap I ran into they made a homemade rear axle racer out of a steel pipe which was short and the rear wheel slide side to side about a 1/4 or so I removed the handle bars and the risers where the bolt goes through the tree to hold them had 2 socket wrench sockets they used as a spacer to fill in the area they grinded them out a bit heck they even had the dam front tire on backwards and the speed odometer cable was on the right side should be on the left I believe.

snapped case bolts,snapped rocker arm assemble bolt thats still in the head may be able to MIG weld a nut on it and back it out.somebody snapped a bit in it hard to drill. Ill check the shaft real well I dident think the ends being like that would hurt anything nothing rides on the end.maybe it came off something else I have all kinds of odd and ends on this bike gona take time to get it back to where it needs to be. Have you found out what size racer gos on the back axle yet? Im sure I could do some measuring and figure it out

Old 10-08-2014, 06:56 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

it would make it easy if you give me the OEM part number so we will be on the same page mine 81 FLT and its still apart and going in the other direction soon

Old 10-09-2014, 04:50 AM
kino44
Tourer
Default rear racer

it would make it easy if you give me the OEM part number so we will be on the same page mine 81 FLT and its still apart and going in the other direction soon

Thats the problem I have here they removed the original sprocket and enclosed chain housing I want to say that sprocket made up for the space? not even sure the rear tire is the original I dont think so? looks like a shovel or FLH rear tire they also had an offset sprocket on it. I could take a PIC if you would like to see it maybe you would know? I will have to look at the manual I want to say it is not the right rear tire

Old 10-09-2014, 04:59 AM
kino44
Tourer
Default rear rim

Heres photos of right and left side I just have it on temporarily

Old 10-09-2014, 06:19 AM
kino44
Tourer
Default Primary Chain

Another question for ya this primary chain looks pretty worn to me on the backside its smooth this is not normal is it? Im gona guess this was smooth out intentionally as well for some reason if it aint normal no signs anywhere that it was rubbing on anything would make a cool belt now

Last edited by kino44; 10-09-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:32 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

you did the right thing taking this apart as the morons who had it knew nothing - the primary chain is cool looking but better question is what does the inner primary look like

do you have a factory parts book and service book for this machine ?????

Old 10-09-2014, 02:49 PM
kino44
Tourer
Default Chain,tire

you did the right thing taking this apart as the morons who had it knew nothing - the primary chain is cool looking but better question is what does the inner primary look like

do you have a factory parts book and service book for this machine ?????
So are you saying the chain is fine? its normal for it to be smooth on one side? yes I have a manual thanks to Rabbito one of our forum members sent it to me.I call it the bible and how bout that rim looks like a shovel rim to me? guess thats ok its a shovel bottom end.
The inner primary looks ok think im going to replace the clutch hub the fingers on it that hold the plates have grooves some ok some deep from the plates rubbing on them over the years.

the plate I call the alternator the round disc that covers the stator is shot couple of magnets gernaded and damaged the stator which was common on those OEM glued on magnates and the grooves to lock it onto the splined shaft are gone so its done! I will replace the stator,regulator I know they have one that has enclosed magnets.yea this bike need to be tore down was squirting oil at the base of the front cylinder like a cut vein. another common EVO issue I know they have a fix for that to tiny little brass tubes.

On my 88 sporty, an old school Harley mechanic turned me onto them as well as putting a real thin copper gasket along with the main cylinder gasket then told me to use a thin coat of Permatex ANAEROBIC gasket maker thing had 8,000 and still not even one tiny leak.When I pulled the cylinders on the FLT I had a front piston ring busted in half as well as the rear in the same place.improper installment,improper break-in or just rode to dam hard cylinders look good will take them in to get inspected and MICED for new pistons. but ya Im glad I tore her down.

Last edited by kino44; 10-09-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:00 AM
kino44
Tourer
Default angle cuts on spline

I think it was done to get the sprockets spline over it easier