Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Need advice on 84 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 07:44 PM
redrott
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on 84 FLH

I have a 2012 wide glide and am considering buying an 84 FLH. I really like the bike but wonder if I should buy it or put the money and my wide glide towards a newer road glide which is something else I would like to have. What's your opinions? Thanks in advance.

If I bought the shovel I would keep my wide glide also.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:47 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your goal? If you want a bike for long comfortable rides... Then get the road glide. If you want something to wrench on and build into your own, then grab the shovel

Mike

Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 PM
redrott
Advanced

I like both LOL. I guess my question is since shovelheads are getting harder to find and I really love the flh style is it worth it to pass it up. Or should I get it while I can.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:30 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Need more info. Price, mileage, problems, pics

Old 02-02-2015, 08:42 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,552 Posts

If money is the issue only you can choose. Each of the bikes you mentioned are worlds apart. If you can only have one, figure out what really fits how you ride. Again your call.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

You cannot compare a new Road Glide to an 84 Shovel. As mentioned they are worlds apart both in technology, handling and performance.

Why do you want the Road Glide? Why do you want the Shovel. What do you not like about your Wide Glide that makes you want to trade up?

There are still a lot of shovels out there...stock condition not so much though. Values of Shovels took a serious hit when the economy took a dump years back. About the only bike market not affected were knuckles and pre-war bikes.

You haven't offered much info on the Shovel other than to say it is an 84 FLH. What are they asking? What condition is it in? Does the owner have receipts for what he says has been done on the bike (and unless it sat in a crate it is going to have been worked on).

What do you know about Shovels? If you have limited knowledge, take someone with you to help ask the right questions and be able to look and evaluate the bike as neutral third party.

I like my shovels and I have taken my 84 FLH on some serious road trips. That said I do my own maintenance and repair excepting machining and paint work (don't have the equipment). If you lack the requiste skill set, it will cost a bunch to have a competent Indie maintain it for you.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,411 Likes on 881 Posts

You've already got a fairly new bike - why are you changing it? If you are looking to be 'stylin', the FLH will be miles ahead of the Road Glide. If you are looking to be touring the Road Glide wins hands down. What are you after? If you are chasing the latest fad you will never be happy...

Last edited by Joe12RK; 02-03-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:45 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

OR... what about a Tour Glide? the original bike to the Road Glide
Rubber mounted, 5 speed, shovelhead; look for an 82 or 83. Previous years have some unique parts.
I would take a good running shovelhead FLT anywhere
They range from 4000 to 6000, usually complete

Old 02-03-2015, 01:00 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

my 81 flt is under restoration - motor / trans / brakes / tires / wiring the works

i could buy one for less money but its been in the family sooo we are doing it up stock

shovels //// not a bike for a guy who has no time in his life for a box of wrenches - they need attention all the time like a second chick the wife dont know about yet - lots of time - lots of stress - and it feels real good when you ride it - BUT one of them if your seen on it will be a thing -- just my take

Old 02-03-2015, 02:19 PM
redrott
Advanced

It's an 84 flh asking $4500 new tanks recent paint job. Top end with less than 100 miles on it He says. I can work on my own stuff. Not much experience with shovels but I have repaired and replaced the starter in my 99 softail. Replaced and adjustable pushrod in that bike do my own services. Only thing I would consider an indie for on my bikes would be major engine work.

I don't like the lack of storage on my wide glide also think I need a bigger bike for when the wife rides. She hasn't ridden the wide glide yet cause it had a solo seat when I got it and I just got around to getting a passenger seat. She rode my fatboy and my Electra glide I had Before.

Biggest reason I want the shovel is the styling of it. I don't do alot of long distance riding but like the comfort when I do. I wouldn't get rid of my wide glide for the shovel.

Quick Reply: Need advice on 84 FLH