Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

New to Me 1982 FXR

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 07:00 PM
atengnr
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New to Me 1982 FXR

Hello all, finally picked up my 1982 fxr today. Was a thrill to finally ride a shovel, after thinking about buying one for the last 10 yrs. It runs great and rides well, but the bike is rough in spots. Here's a pic...So its got a bobtail rear fender, a fatbob tank with tank-mounted speedo and tach. Some things in need of attention include, handlebar mount to triple tree is loose, bar is somewhat crooked in the riser (not sure how). Speedo cable is not routed properly so can rub against front tire, found the front bolts for inner primary were loose. What do you all think??

Any thoughts on what I should go after first? I don't like the exhaust for sure - actually it makes bike sound like a twin cam or evo.

Also, apparently the engine was rebuilt in past 5 yrs, but unknown what was done. Its actually much quicker than my stock 98 fxdl. Any way I can get an idea of what is in this motor (short of opening up?).

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails New to Me 1982 FXR-fxr.jpg  

Last edited by atengnr; 03-21-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:50 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Not much original FXR left there I'm afraid. Unless that is a Narrowglide front end?I can't really tell.
Someone had 4-speed Wide Glide Envy, and took it out on what used to be the best handling Harley ever made. Luckily..lots of those parts have some worth, if ya want a Proper FXR.
Certainly the exhaust is a Desireable item...But, I don't know how the hell you could hold that heavy sucker up on an FXR?? Gonna break something tying it to the frame..

Inner primary bolts are a large concern..Have you took the outer off to check the inside bolts?
If the inner primary becomes damaged on the early 5-speeds, it can get spendy...Fast.
I've seen Crankcase mounting holes ruined by poorly fitted or broken primary.
Start there.
The handlebar risers? First thing I do with crooked bars is replace the top clamp...easy ****, and sometimes tells a tale.
Good luck, and tell us what you Want it to be/look like.
Here is a Relatively stock example

Old 03-21-2015, 09:34 PM
atengnr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Racepres
Not much original FXR left there I'm afraid. Unless that is a Narrowglide front end?I can't really tell.
Someone had 4-speed Wide Glide Envy, and took it out on what used to be the best handling Harley ever made. Luckily..lots of those parts have some worth, if ya want a Proper FXR.
Certainly the exhaust is a Desireable item...But, I don't know how the hell you could hold that heavy sucker up on an FXR?? Gonna break something tying it to the frame..

Inner primary bolts are a large concern..Have you took the outer off to check the inside bolts?
If the inner primary becomes damaged on the early 5-speeds, it can get spendy...Fast.
I've seen Crankcase mounting holes ruined by poorly fitted or broken primary.
Start there.
The handlebar risers? First thing I do with crooked bars is replace the top clamp...easy ****, and sometimes tells a tale.
Good luck, and tell us what you Want it to be/look like.
Here is a Relatively stock example
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I will pull cover tomorrow to check inner bolts in their entirety. Whats the torque on these?

The front end is stock fortunately. I dont mind that its a bit bastardized, though in long term, dont like the paint, the bobtail fender.

This thing apparently has stock carburetor (and it runs good - started easily at 40F ambient temp), but then seemed pretty quick....wonder whats in the motor.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

That front end don't look stock to me...But, again, I can't see it so good.
What carb is on it? Ka-sneeze with a Look alike S&S cover?

Old 03-22-2015, 12:34 AM
atengnr
Cruiser

That front end don't look stock to me...But, again, I can't see it so good.
What carb is on it? Ka-sneeze with a Look alike S&S cover?
Yep apparently just ss cover.

Its a narrow glide front end with "fxrs" on the tree.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:38 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by atengnr
Yep apparently just ss cover.

Its a narrow glide front end with "fxrs" on the tree.
In that case it is easy to end up with a decent FXR...
First..Tho I really like that Superglide Exhaust, and They are Pricey...It is too heavy and cannot be mounted properly to an FXR [yes anything can be done, but, can you say PITA]. Attaching exhaust to that donut on the frame is Not...Not the way. The MoCo eliminated that on later models for a reason.
The exhaust needs to be held at the Engine cone, and the tranny behind the rear cylinder...only, that is why the Muffs are tied together [to one another].
That Headlight abortion needs to go to the "bobber Boys", and maybe those handlebars too. I really don't like FatBobs on an FXR either, but they are functional! And of course...Personal taste. [like the bars and Headlight I guess]

Old 03-22-2015, 10:36 AM
atengnr
Cruiser

In that case it is easy to end up with a decent FXR...
First..Tho I really like that Superglide Exhaust, and They are Pricey...It is too heavy and cannot be mounted properly to an FXR [yes anything can be done, but, can you say PITA]. Attaching exhaust to that donut on the frame is Not...Not the way. The MoCo eliminated that on later models for a reason.
The exhaust needs to be held at the Engine cone, and the tranny behind the rear cylinder...only, that is why the Muffs are tied together [to one another].
That Headlight abortion needs to go to the "bobber Boys", and maybe those handlebars too. I really don't like FatBobs on an FXR either, but they are functional! And of course...Personal taste. [like the bars and Headlight I guess]
Ill take a look at the exhaust, but what are you suggesting? Is there a way to mount this exhaust properly to the powertrain or is it best just to replacement (I like 2 into 2s ).

Yes, the added lights look like hell, but I am curious to see how much more light they provide, then will decide how quickly I will work to eliminate them.

What I like more about the tank is the tank mounted speedo and tach (at least in theory, as the wild speedo cable is partly so because of this). I used to have an FXD and often lamented that I didnt get an FXDL for this reason. Is there a routing clip on the front fender for the speedo cable?

BTW, does the harley dealer happen to sell the oil filter?

Thanks.

Last edited by atengnr; 03-22-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

I doubt you will find it Easy to properly mount that particular Exhaust...as it is designed to be held up[on] from a point mid Muffler. I also like 2-2's

And recommend the lightest possible mufflers, as they are held way up front, especially the rear one.
The Tank??? I've already said, I don't prefer Fat Bobs on an FXR. So You gotta go with what You Want...If you go back to something close to stock, the FXRLR, or somethin like that had a Superglide dash on it..like the original stacked speedo/tach one.

Like this

Last edited by Racepres; 03-22-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:16 PM
atengnr
Cruiser
Default Primary Chain Oiler

I opened the primary chain to check torque on bolts and noted a bolt near the tension that seems to be where an oil line entry was, but it goes into the crankcase, and is not very tight. What is this??

The first is looking at the inner primary with cover removed, and the second is looking down behind the inner primary seeing the bolt exit the back of the inner primary and apparently enter the crankcase.

Attached Thumbnails New to Me 1982 FXR-fxr_bolt.jpg   New to Me 1982 FXR-fxr_bolt2.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 03:42 PM
atengnr
Cruiser
Default Primary Chain Oiler

Also, Heres a pic of the breather underneath. Is this the optimal way to route this? It does drip a slight bit of oil (1 drip here and there) and seems to be from the breather.

Thanks alot.

Attached Thumbnails New to Me 1982 FXR-fxr_breather.jpg  

Quick Reply: New to Me 1982 FXR