Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Updated the front of my '77

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:14 PM
crazy4ink
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Updated the front of my '77

So, in an effort to have a better ride and better braking, I decided to try and upgrade the frontend on my '77 FLH. I was dead set against changing out the frontend completely because I really like the overall look. Most of the aftermarket frontends don't do it for me so I decided to try and use as many, if not all, Harley parts in some shape, form or fashion. I finally got everything finished up today since work has been crazy busy and was able to get some riding in. Not much mind you but I'll take time on my bike whenever I can! LOL

So, here's what I used:
'77 FLH upper and lower triple trees
'77 FLH cow bells
'12 Road Glide tubes and guts with Progressive lowering kit already installed
'00 Softail sliders
'04 Heritage front fender - because the different sliders are 1.5" narrower my FLH fender wouldn't fit
'04 Heritage front fender light with my '77 FLH side spears and my emblems
'77 FLH axle, wheel, hubcap and tire
'84-99 FX 11.5" brake rotor
'13 Tri Glide left side caliper
Used an AN line and some fittings that I had for the brake line

Anyways, below are some pics. Please don't mind the crappy quality; I was using my cell phone.

What does everyone think?

On the left is the original fork and on the right is my conglomeration of parts. Overall height is very close. Notice fender mounting heights are different though

Old 04-17-2015, 05:58 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks great. I have put Softail front ends on other bikes too including my current 2008 Street Bob. The front fender is designed for a 32 degree rake and usually winds up pointing downhill a little. I have elongated the mounting holes to be able to get 2 degrees of upward tilt. It is not so much that the relationship to the wheel arc is ruined.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,412 Likes on 881 Posts

good job! it must ride and brake a lot better than before...

Old 04-17-2015, 08:12 AM
crazy4ink
Cruiser

It does ride and brake a lot better than before. Now I need to do something about the squeaking rear shocks. Lol.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Hey Crazy....If you find your way over to Martin 131 for the Harley Drags this Summer. You should bring the '77 Front end and sell it to me [Tubes and Lowers]

I'm Only Half Kidding Here!!!!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:43 PM
crazy4ink
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Racepres
Hey Crazy....If you find your way over to Martin 131 for the Harley Drags this Summer. You should bring the '77 Front end and sell it to me [Tubes and Lowers]

I'm Only Half Kidding Here!!!!
They are sitting in the garage. I have the tubes and lowers, front caliper and front fender. PM me an offer.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by crazy4ink
They are sitting in the garage. I have the tubes and lowers, front caliper and front fender. PM me an offer.
LOL...You are assuming I'll make a $$ at Martin???
I'm working on it in my feeble Melon!!!!
Incoming soon.....

Old 04-17-2015, 10:29 PM
crazy4ink
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AFMM3
Looks great. I have put Softail front ends on other bikes too including my current 2008 Street Bob. The front fender is designed for a 32 degree rake and usually winds up pointing downhill a little. I have elongated the mounting holes to be able to get 2 degrees of upward tilt. It is not so much that the relationship to the wheel arc is ruined.
After what you said, I went out and looked and the fender is running downhill a little. Will have to open the fender holes up a little bit and try to level it out. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:37 PM
crazy4ink
Cruiser

So, I have about 125 miles on the new frontend setup. Been working a lot and haven't been riding much. That being said, I love how the new frontend setup rides and stops compared to OEM. Front is firm on bumps but not teeth jarring and braking is awesome with the 4 piston Brembo. My buddy was riding next to me one day and when we stopped, he commented on how rock solid the front looked compared to how much the rear was bouncing around. I scored a set of late model bagger low pro shocks from a buddy of mine. Going to try those instead of the Progressives the previous owner installed.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:56 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

If those shocks don't work out, I have a like-new set of 11" shocks for sale in the "Classic" parts section.

Quick Reply: Updated the front of my '77