Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Sealing a gas tank... What should I use to plug it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 02:04 PM
BassFace
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sealing a gas tank... What should I use to plug it?

Help, Im driving myself crazy trying to figure out the right way to plug this thing before I add sealant. Would silicone plugs, like the ones used for powder coating work? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

I just use duct tape - you only need to seal it for a short time then you drain the excess.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:08 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

For the petcock hole I just bought a tapered rubber plug from a hardware store. They come in various sizes

Old 05-31-2015, 08:24 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

in the small pipes we use a thin brass rod - its soft and bends easy in the tin pipes then a long rubber plug - when almost dry remove them and do a hose pipe clean out - 4 are in 3 and 5 gallon side by side tanks

Old 05-31-2015, 10:02 AM
BassFace
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you

Old 06-12-2015, 11:07 PM
1984FXWG
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Leak

My 84 FLH is leaking fuel around the threaded opening where the petcock threads on. It only leaks when the tanks warm up and create interior pressure. Will JB Weld or other polymers work to seal this leak?

Can I seal it by soldering on the exterior of the tank?

The paint is custom and I hate to heat the tank too much and damage the finish so I'm not even going to attempt brazing.

I know this is asking a lot of info for my very first post, but any info will be appreciated

Old 06-13-2015, 08:17 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by 1984FXWG
My 84 FLH is leaking fuel around the threaded opening where the petcock threads on. It only leaks when the tanks warm up and create interior pressure. Will JB Weld or other polymers work to seal this leak?

Can I seal it by soldering on the exterior of the tank?

The paint is custom and I hate to heat the tank too much and damage the finish so I'm not even going to attempt brazing.

I know this is asking a lot of info for my very first post, but any info will be appreciated
I will Not , Ever, put Anything inside my Tanks again!!!
I have used Seal-All on Exterior surfaces...Like around the Petcock, and around the Side Mounting bolts/studs.
Seal-All is available at NAPA here...No Substitutes!!!!
I remove, dry and clean the affected area...then orient the Tank so it is Flat at area to be sealed, then apply [sparingly] let dry [I wait 24Hours], then assemble and ride...
Just did another one the other day!!!! Generally lasts 2 years or so.

On another note...If you don't keep the Hole for the Petcock clear all the way to the interior...you won't be putting a Screen on yer Petcock, then you'll need an external filter...then...Well....Nothing inside the Tank for me...

Old 06-13-2015, 10:04 AM
1984FXWG
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply. The tank will be on the bench this afternoon. Riding time is wasting.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:18 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
I will Not , Ever, put Anything inside my Tanks again!!!
I have used Seal-All on Exterior surfaces...Like around the Petcock, and around the Side Mounting bolts/studs.
Seal-All is available at NAPA here...No Substitutes!!!!
I remove, dry and clean the affected area...then orient the Tank so it is Flat at area to be sealed, then apply [sparingly] let dry [I wait 24Hours], then assemble and ride...
Just did another one the other day!!!! Generally lasts 2 years or so.

On another note...If you don't keep the Hole for the Petcock clear all the way to the interior...you won't be putting a Screen on yer Petcock, then you'll need an external filter...then...Well....Nothing inside the Tank for me...
Seal-All is great stuff. I had a fuel tank on a F250 that was just riddled with rust holes. I discovered the problem while on a trip. I got a tube of the Seal-All and a bunch of sheet metal screws and used the seal-all and screws to plug all the holes. It held and got me through the trip.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:55 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

we use today the Red Coat as its been good with the **** gas we now have and it has been holding up and i have tried everything made i think with the old bikes

Quick Reply: Sealing a gas tank... What should I use to plug it?