Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Running stock headpipes w/o mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 01:56 PM
72_shovel
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Running stock headpipes w/o mufflers?

Hi there,
I have a '72 FLH with stock exhaust (dual w/crossover), and have been looking around at swap meets for a decent set of drag pipes. I know about drag pipes reducing performance, etc., I just like the look and sound. So one night I was riding home, and about 6 miles from home, my left muffler fell off. The clamp that holds it to the headpipe had worked its way backward on the muffler, and the clamp that holds the muffler to the bracket had broken. It was dark, but thankfully the muffler landed on the shoulder, so I found it pretty quickly. Rode to work the next day with just the right side muffler and thought to myself, 'self, this bike has a nice growl'. So I went home and took the other muffler off. Messed with the carb to get the fuel/air mixture right, and have been running it with just the open headpipes for the past few weeks. Seems to be running okay, but should I worry about it hurting anything? I've noticed I've lost quite a bit of power in the higher RPMs (which seems strange to me since the exhaust is flowing more freely), and it sometimes won't do more than 70mph... gonna mess with the carb again tonight, but if I can't get it sorted out, I'm going to just put the mufflers back on (or at least one of them).
Thanks for reading that long *** story for such a silly, simple question...
Thanks, -Danny

Old 06-10-2015, 02:26 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

my guess is that its running lean and you need to do rejetting in order to get it running right. Beautiful bike

Old 06-10-2015, 02:44 PM
72_shovel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ynots
my guess is that its running lean and you need to do rejetting in order to get it running right. Beautiful bike
I rejetted shortly before the muffler fell off, I'm running a .295 intermediate and a 72 main (carb is an S&S Super E). Should I bump each of them up a size? And thank you, I love it. Couldn't dream of a better first bike.

Last edited by 72_shovel; 06-10-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:02 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Judging by the blue pipes you are running lean or your timing is off.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:17 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,438 Likes on 4,132 Posts

I would run a least some type of muffler on a bike like that, preferably period correct, but that's just me. Regardless what you decide that's a beautiful machine. Treat her well.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:16 AM
72_shovel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
Judging by the blue pipes you are running lean or your timing is off.
Pipes were blue when I got it. Though it was my understanding that pipes blue from it running too rich and causing the fuel to burn in the exhaust. Timing could possibly be off.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:25 AM
72_shovel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
I would run a least some type of muffler on a bike like that, preferably period correct, but that's just me. Regardless what you decide that's a beautiful machine. Treat her well.
I ended up putting the right side muffler back on and retuned the carburetor. Already runs much better. just too quiet. I believe they're the original mufflers, otherwise I might mess with the baffle...

Old 06-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Baird
Road Master
Received 1,061 Likes on 436 Posts

Jetting is the key. My '76 will get way above 70 mph

Old 06-12-2015, 08:13 AM
72_shovel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Baird
Jetting is the key. My '76 will get way above 70 mph
Yeah, I've hit 85 or so with the mufflers. I'm looking at a set of drag pipes this weekend, if I get them, I'll be rejetting.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

While the bike will run with drags you'll be some losing power just where in the range depends on how fat you jet it , you gotta have some back pressure to carberate right. The make torque cones that look a big washer with a bolt on the side to install just inside the outlet of the pipes and you tune by turning the washer a bit at a time till you find the sweet spot. Still makes lots of racket just takes the edge of it, the carb tunes easier, plugs will last longer, the pipes won't blue or yellow out half the length if you get it right and helps gas mileage.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 06-12-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Running stock headpipes w/o mufflers?