Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Possible Purchase 80 FXE

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 05:51 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts
Default Possible Purchase 80 FXE

I am looking at 1980 FXE sitting on the showroom floor of a local dealer. He is a good dealer. I have know this place for many years.
I am planning to test ride tomorrow if another customer does not buy it tomorrow.
I can get it for $4900. It runs and has 39K miles on it and had some piston/cylinder work done recently at another dealer. I want to see the paperwork on that.
Yeah, looks like a 1980 bike. It is the original owner bike.
In my case, I would want to install forward controls on it. The mid controls won't cut it.

Looking for advice on this bike. I have had later model big twins and V-Rods.

ETA: There is no oil under the bike? WTF?

Last edited by army_eod; 06-12-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:53 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

It's easy enough to change the controls. You can use stock FLH parts or custom. It may reverse the shift pattern but you get used to it in about 5 minutes.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
It's easy enough to change the controls. You can use stock FLH parts or custom. It may reverse the shift pattern but you get used to it in about 5 minutes.
I like the Checkered Demon avatar. He is my hero. LOL.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:29 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
I like the Checkered Demon avatar. He is my hero. LOL.
Old S. Clay Wilson had some talent. I loved how accurately he drew the Pan Heads his characters rode. Years ago my riding buddy and I would basically have conversations using lines from his stories. People thought we were out of our minds, and ""the checkered demon just smiled"

Old 06-14-2015, 04:25 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
I am looking at 1980 FXE sitting on the showroom floor of a local dealer. He is a good dealer. I have know this place for many years.
I am planning to test ride tomorrow if another customer does not buy it tomorrow.
I can get it for $4900. It runs and has 39K miles on it and had some piston/cylinder work done recently at another dealer. I want to see the paperwork on that.
Yeah, looks like a 1980 bike. It is the original owner bike.
In my case, I would want to install forward controls on it. The mid controls won't cut it.

Looking for advice on this bike. I have had later model big twins and V-Rods.

ETA: There is no oil under the bike? WTF?
The 80 FXE was a good bike. It may be a 74 ci. Or it may be a 80 ci. Check the vin number. The 80 model we had was a 74 ci and was tight, leaked little or no oil. That being said, it still suffered from all the other problems shovels have. Electric starter sticking, oil puking from the breather after sitting for a week, **** poor stock carburetor. Look it over real good. See if the wiring is butchered up. Everybody says they just rebuilt the motor when they are selling them, but really didn't. The ideal situation would be to run a compression check and leakdown test on the motor per the factory manual. Assume the wheel bearings, neck and swingarm bearings need service. The bike pictured is the 1980 FXE 74 cid we had. It's your call and your money. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Possible Purchase 80 FXE-project3.jpg  

Last edited by AlCherry; 06-14-2015 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:16 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AlCherry
The 80 FXE was a good bike. It may be a 74 ci. Or it may be a 80 ci. Check the vin number. The 80 model we had was a 74 ci and was tight, leaked little or no oil. That being said, it still suffered from all the other problems shovels have. Electric starter sticking, oil puking from the breather after sitting for a week, **** poor stock carburetor. Look it over real good. See if the wiring is butchered up. Everybody says they just rebuilt the motor when they are selling them, but really didn't. The ideal situation would be to run a compression check and leakdown test on the motor per the factory manual. Assume the wheel bearings, neck and swingarm bearings need service. The bike pictured is the 1980 FXE 74 cid we had. It's your call and your money. Good luck.

Thanks for the good info and warning. I did not get to ride it yet.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:17 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
Old S. Clay Wilson had some talent. I loved how accurately he drew the Pan Heads his characters rode. Years ago my riding buddy and I would basically have conversations using lines from his stories. People thought we were out of our minds, and ""the checkered demon just smiled"
Hey, gang. Don't forget your free tumblers.