Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Tranny Rebuild input requested

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:43 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,155 Likes on 1,511 Posts
Default Tranny Rebuild input requested

So I'm wanted to get some peace of mind (and seal the leak) regarding my tranny. Got the standard 4 spd ...rotary top, cow pie, whatever...
She leaks bad through that seal 'tween her and the inner primary. The bike doesn't just mark it's spot...it takes a whole freaking **** overnight.

So there's that.
And I believe there is a tooth or a couple of teeth missing or chipped on the kicker....sometimes she skips bad.

What I would like to do is pull the tranny this winter....and give her a whole rebuild of the guts and any/all parts that wear.

Any input on what parts I should make sure to replace...

Old 08-31-2015, 09:27 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Not cheap by any means but definitely quality stuff is Andrews gear sets. Used Andrews gears for my 49EL and never looked back.

And another idea (not cheap either) Baker Klassic Kicker gears

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/klassic-kicker-gears

Last edited by panz4ever; 08-31-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:53 AM
humbuster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I thought this was a Catlin/Bruce thread.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:08 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

a few special tools to be used and some hands on experience needed as to whats usable and whats not - new or used that said if you have never done it before its not impossible but it is daunting

Old 08-31-2015, 10:58 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Definitely do the close ratio gear set if you choose to go that route , tightening the gap between 2nd & 3rd will make you a happy camper for around town riding. The kicker issue is going to be a bushing is shot and possibly the rachet teeth are a bit rounded, best to keep OEM parts if you can the aftermarket replacement stuff is crud anymore.

Safe bet the bushing in the main drive gear is gone so check the main shaft closely for wear in that that area. Bush is easy to replace but needs a 1" reamer or hone to size it correctly, local indy shop or some the old school guys you know will have this it's pretty standard tool box stuff for anyone into them.

Andrews would the first choice but I've had very good luck with the house brands from Mid Usa and Midwest cycles ( Jireh's stuff is Midwest's catalogue) and prices would be about half Andrews.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:53 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks all so far...

I'll keep this a long thread....figure towards the holidays I'll just get the bike up on the lift and pull the trans...and start posting pics here in this thread. Got all winter to rebuild it. Time to really get it cleaned up down there...sick of all that constant oil coating everything it's really soaking wet.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

You'll of course be looking at shifting forks & dogs and all the brass bushings those being the common wear items. Next will be all the lead in ramps on the gears themselves if you decide to keep the OEM gearset. Biggest issue with the cowpie trannies were the exterior shifting linkage was a goofy design and wore out quick, up side is there's all steel replacement arms available to cure those ill's.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:54 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

It's the long haul reliability I'm shootin' for. My back has been doing OK lately...so the past month or so been running her hard on longer runs. Put a couple of back to back 5 hours runs in this past weekend. I'm at that point....either get another bike like an Evo for some longer hauls with bigger pack of buds....or shove some money and elbow grease into this one. Kinda leaning towards working this one up after this past weekend...seen kajillions of twinkies and bunches of Evos out...but only saw 3 other Shovels out...and those lead to fun handshakes and talk and more beers.

Wantin to do a run to White Mountains New Hampshire this fall...won't have time to rebuild tranny by then....but still..just want feeling of good longer haul reliability. Time to really focus on the parts that have worn..and replace 'em before they fail.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:00 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

The old 4's are pretty simple, easy to R&R and damn durable. I'm kinda in the same boat got the feelers out for a late FXR or FXRT that hasn't been SOA'ed to hell and gone yet. Love the shovel but the old bones are talking dirty to me nowadays.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:51 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

you can get a complete RevTech 4 speed with kicker from J&P for a grand.

Are they any good?

Quick Reply: Tranny Rebuild input requested