Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Moved . . . How to start a project on an FLH . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 02:39 PM
markfsanderson
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Moved . . . How to start a project on an FLH . . .

Greetings,
Please move this post to the correct place if I get it wrong. I currently own a 2015 Ultra, so this project won't be for my primary ride. I do my own maintenance, and do all my own work on this bike and my previous bike - a Dyna. I successfully completed a top end overhaul on my CB450 (damn carbs) when I was in college . . . so I can ( slowly ) do good quality mechanical work. I love the looks of the late sixties/early seventies touring bikes. I'd like to find a place to purchase a basket case or a well worn ready to rebuild FLH of that era - preferably pre-AMF and put a side car on it. My goal is to have a nice cruiser for local jaunts and fun. A couple of questions:

1) Any books on this subject around? I have Petersons guides and read them religiously and will be receiving American Iron in the mail soon . . ..
2) Any places around central Texas to pick up parts, frames and etc for this endeavor? I think I know where to go in Houston, but it's been years. If I must go to Houston, Dallas or further - I will.
3) Anyone like to volunteer that they've done this before? What are your experiences? Anything would be useful - success and failures!

Feel free to email me any leads on what might be a good bike to start a project on: mark@markfsanderson.net

I'm not in a big hurry . . . no timeline. This is more like . . I'm ready and if opportunity knocks I might buy the bike for a rebuild.

Thanks!

Mark!

Old 05-15-2016, 02:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Factory service manual for the year bike you end up with the rest are junk , side hack your on your own with that one but I'm sure there's somebody in here with background with them and the old shovels.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:02 AM
vanmor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would find a complete bike. It don't have to be in great shape. It just makes it a lot easier and cheaper than trying to source all those little missing parts.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:22 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

If I were closer I would be looking at this project...

https://cf.searchtempest.com/go.php?...549340376.html

Been on C/L on and off for about 6 months now. Originally he had a pic of the bike and the hack. About the only concern I would have is that with the supposed low miles, why was the engine apart and not running.

When he had pics up the cam cover was off and the guts were out. Could mean something (like complete engine teardown needed because something came apart inside leaving the motor trashed), or maybe nothing (just someone with litlle skills that decided to do some engine work but got in over his head).

That said 7500 is a pretty steep price for a non-runner (even with the hack).

As has been posted try to find a complete project and not a piecemeal one. It will save you big bucks in the long run. The hardest part will be finding the adjustable front end components. Not many around anymore and will cost you serious green.

There is a company out of Washington that makes a replica hack and comes complete with the components needed to convert one's bike. Think it is for EVO and later though. Here's their website...http://www.libertysidecars.com

Old 05-16-2016, 12:10 PM
markfsanderson
Tourer
Lightbulb

It's a bit steep for me right now . . . given my budget I might have to buy things in pieces . . . not sure yet . . . also the 1977 date is a bit younger than I want. I'm look for something pre-1973 . . . If it were closer, I'd check it out also!

Mark!

Old 05-16-2016, 06:39 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by markfsanderson
It's a bit steep for me right now . . . given my budget I might have to buy things in pieces . . . not sure yet . . . also the 1977 date is a bit younger than I want. I'm look for something pre-1973 . . . If it were closer, I'd check it out also!

Mark!
As someone who has been assembling a 49 project for almost 20 years (should be kicking it over come the end of June), buying in pieces never gets cheaper because as the years accumulate, the parts become fewer and more expensive.

Good luck with your quest!

Old 05-16-2016, 06:47 PM
markfsanderson
Tourer

Originally Posted by panz4ever
As someone who has been assembling a 49 project for almost 20 years (should be kicking it over come the end of June), buying in pieces never gets cheaper because as the years accumulate, the parts become fewer and more expensive.

Good luck with your quest!

Great Point! My budget is about 4 to 6 k . . . . hopefully that will be enough to get a project that is worthwhile starting. Certainly doesn't need to have a sidecar included . . . I believe I can add that later. I'm certainly not excluding panhead touring bikes . . . but that price point might be a bit more difficult . . . I can always hope!

thanks again!

Mark!

Old 05-17-2016, 10:37 AM
mjpeterson777@gmail.com
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markfsanderson
Greetings,
Please move this post to the correct place if I get it wrong. I currently own a 2015 Ultra, so this project won't be for my primary ride. I do my own maintenance, and do all my own work on this bike and my previous bike - a Dyna. I successfully completed a top end overhaul on my CB450 (damn carbs) when I was in college . . . so I can ( slowly ) do good quality mechanical work. I love the looks of the late sixties/early seventies touring bikes. I'd like to find a place to purchase a basket case or a well worn ready to rebuild FLH of that era - preferably pre-AMF and put a side car on it. My goal is to have a nice cruiser for local jaunts and fun. A couple of questions:

1) Any books on this subject around? I have Petersons guides and read them religiously and will be receiving American Iron in the mail soon . . ..
2) Any places around central Texas to pick up parts, frames and etc for this endeavor? I think I know where to go in Houston, but it's been years. If I must go to Houston, Dallas or further - I will.
3) Anyone like to volunteer that they've done this before? What are your experiences? Anything would be useful - success and failures!

Feel free to email me any leads on what might be a good bike to start a project on: mark@markfsanderson.net

I'm not in a big hurry . . . no timeline. This is more like . . I'm ready and if opportunity knocks I might buy the bike for a rebuild.

Thanks!

Mark!
Hey mark, i use to live near Kenedy Tx a few years ago I almost (wish i did) bought a 68 flh running and all complete. Best bet is to check out local beer joints, best place for info. Also use to work for a Bob Alexander of Alexander auto center in Kenedy tx he knows everybody and is into older Harleys, tell him Mike sent you.
Forgot to mention, i picked up a 75 stripped down FLH for 2400 last month, but it sat for 15+years, it looks runable, so far i have $450 into little stuff and it ain't runnin yet. A lot of fun though, if i have to do the motor im going to do myself, nothing like knowing your bike inside and out!
Good luck on your new adventure and have fun!

Last edited by mjpeterson777@gmail.com; 05-17-2016 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
markfsanderson (05-17-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 05:36 PM
markfsanderson
Tourer

Originally Posted by mjpeterson777@gmail.com
Hey mark, i use to live near Kenedy Tx a few years ago I almost (wish i did) bought a 68 flh running and all complete. Best bet is to check out local beer joints, best place for info. Also use to work for a Bob Alexander of Alexander auto center in Kenedy tx he knows everybody and is into older Harleys, tell him Mike sent you.
Forgot to mention, i picked up a 75 stripped down FLH for 2400 last month, but it sat for 15+years, it looks runable, so far i have $450 into little stuff and it ain't runnin yet. A lot of fun though, if i have to do the motor im going to do myself, nothing like knowing your bike inside and out!
Good luck on your new adventure and have fun!
I'll swing on by and let him know you sent me! Thanks again . . . not sure I've ever been to Kennedy . .

mark!

Old 05-20-2016, 07:25 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

As Panz stated, piecing them together is way more expensive then buying something complete, even if it needs love. A complete bike that maybe sat for 20 years with a title, that is the way to go with your budget. Cone shovels even running in your date range seem possible, the genny shovels are starting to go up in price with the pans.

Quick Reply: Moved . . . How to start a project on an FLH . . .