Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

79 FLH - Ignition Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:19 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 79 FLH - Ignition Wiring

Hey guys. New to the site. I picked up a 1979 FL80. I haven't heard it run, but compression was good. I'm going through it now and noticed the motor has points vs. stock electronic ignition.

There is a wire coming from the points out through the housing and just hanging there. I'm assuming that this lead should wire to the coil. My coil has a contact nut on the top and bottom. Which one should I use?
Thanks
Nick

Old 10-21-2016, 10:34 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Sorgio
Hey guys. New to the site. I picked up a 1979 FL80. I haven't heard it run, but compression was good. I'm going through it now and noticed the motor has points vs. stock electronic ignition.

There is a wire coming from the points out through the housing and just hanging there. I'm assuming that this lead should wire to the coil. My coil has a contact nut on the top and bottom. Which one should I use?
Thanks
Nick
Wire from the ignition breaker (timer) goes to the top of the coil with point set up.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:07 PM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

New FLH non-runner. I bought a battery, charged it, and put it in. I have power at the terminals but no power. Based on the wiring diagram and wire colors, the harness appears to be factory and the switch looks like it's wired correctly - though the connectors look like its been hacked up. However, I have no power at any of the switch poles.

1.) I don't have a key, but the switch turns. Based on that, I assume I don't need the key to run.

2.) I'm looking for fuses. Where would they be?

Thanks
Nick

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-25-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:46 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Those Square Boxes are Breakers in lieu of Fuses.. one may be a Flasher unit. The Ignition goes like this Either side of coil to points. 12v from battery thru main [30amp] breaker.to Hot side of ignition switch...thru switch [on or Lights/on position] to Ignition breaker...to handlebar Kill switch...to Starter button And to other side of coil...from kill switch. Nothin to it... Tho that Bike came with the First Electronic H-D ignition, commonly referred to as a Prestolite unit..Most New owners did not trust the Newfangled device...and reverted to points..Most discarded Prestolite units are Like new..and I Like them just fine...Alot like a Dyna-S.

Last edited by Racepres; 10-27-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:19 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Pick up the service manual and parts manual for your year. The service manual will have a wiring diagram. If you plan on keeping the machine you need both of these.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

I had the wiring diagram blown up and have it in the garage with me. Turns out I was missing a starter relay and some of the lower part of the wiring harness. I started installing the new harness and have a couple questions:

Are all the circuit breakers up front under the speedo cover all the 30 amp variety?

The main circuit breaker at the battery - where does that usually mount?

Thanks
Nick

Old 11-07-2016, 07:27 PM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 233 Posts

Have a friend with a 79 FLH 72", his main breaker is right at the battery. Let me know and i'll take a pic for you if you need it. He has the electronic ignition that was recently replaced with a aftermarket unit.

Last edited by billib1954; 11-07-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

^^ yes...one 30A breaker ...generally right at the battery post...then 15A breakers for Ignition/Lights/Accessory[blinkers etc...]
The Diagram clearly shows this...mine does anyway!

Old 11-08-2016, 12:21 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The breaker at the battery is connected with a copper strip with two holes, one for the battery bolt and one to attach the circuit breaker. It's an inch or so long.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

The new wiring harness, ignition switch, and starter relay are installed and wired. When I switched to start position and hit the start button, I had nothing. I have power at switch terminal 3, but nothing at terminal 5. I tried my old switch and still no power there. I suck at electrical. What am I missing?
Thanks
Nick

Quick Reply: 79 FLH - Ignition Wiring