Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Primary Gasket Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:05 PM
shrktooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Primary Gasket Questions

greetings - nice bike

the trans seal will require removal of the inner primary. there is the main drive gear seal and the trans seal. the main drive gear seal is the small thin seal you slide over your mainshaft and into your main drive gear. the trans seal is the one that goes into the case. they both are tricky to install.... the main drive gear seal being the hardest ( always have 2 or 3 of them on hand ) and a consideration is the James super nut with the seal built into it.

the third seal is in the inner primary. this is the easiest to install.

a couple things to remember... when the bike is leaned way over on the kickstand more trans fluid will leak out because the oil is now covering the seal.(follow what im trying to say) - a cure is a 2 X 4 under the kickstand when the bike is parked.
when putting on a new primary gasket i like to be sure the thread holes in the inner primary are clean and dry.
having the bike leaning on the right side (propped with wood under that side of the frame) off the kickstand helps with the oil not dripping out of the primary.

IMHO I like to use clear gasket sealer on the primary gasket because when the cover is tightened and the gasket material shows it makes for a cleaner job. just my 2 cents worth.

ad get rid of the synthetic oils. IMHO