Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Case Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 04:18 PM
THEXFILES
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Case Problem

I have a 2000 Electra Glide Classic, After I ride and park the bike I get a few small drops of trans oil leaking from my primary case. I checked all the screws with a torque Wrench and all is good. So just this weekend i bought a new primary gasket and took it all apart, cleaned everything real good and put it all back together with the Brand new gasket and oil and now when i ride for awhile it leaks more than it did when i had the old gasket. Anyone have quick fixes? or what the problem could be. I was told maybe run a small bead all along the bottom of the gasket with gasket sealer then put it back on, will this work?......need input...thanks

Old 08-24-2013, 04:23 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It may not be the primary gasket. Need to be sure before you break it down again. Tranny can look just like primary....

Old 08-24-2013, 04:23 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

1.) ascertain the source of the fluid.

if it leaks while parked, you can spray the suspect area with drugstore foot powder ( 99¢ store) and the seep will wash it away at the source.

as any leak of fluid anywhere on the bike will show as drops on the lowest points.

IF this is the primary, the current H-D gasket is thin plastic over steel- it works great, if the cases are perfect.
the evo style paper gasket will seal over slight voids, bumps, imperfections and warps.

H-D may not have, the indy will.

and a bead of almost dry silicone can help, try that first if the primary gasket seal is the problem

mike

Old 08-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

trans oil leaking from your primary case? You'll have to do a lot better at describing exactly where this leak is.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

i had a leak that drove me crazy! It was the stator feed through. it would seep then run back until I couldn't tell where it was coming from. i cleaned everything then sprayed powder on anything I suspected might leak and found it right where the stator wire come through the case.

The official fix is a new stator, my fix was silicon sealant forced around the plug - it hasn't leaked again in three years.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,579 Likes on 3,071 Posts

I'd be surprised if it turned out to be the primary gasket area. Mine has never leaked a drop and I still run the original gasket.

Is it perhaps inboard of that area? ( where the front pulley is located.) There are both tranny and inner primary, and starter shaft seals that could be causing it which would show leaks just south of there.

Clean the underside fully, ride it, park it and check for the source in the morning.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:26 PM
THEXFILES
6th Gear

Oil is gathering around the bottom bolt which you can not see in the picture as it is underneath enough it is not shown, and it is not coming from the inspection plate cover. underneath is no oil what so ever, just around that bolt and on bottom of crome cover.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Did you follow the tightening sequence for the cover screws? Use new washers? Clean off the mating surfaces? Maybe the gasket was pinched at that spot. Wrong length screw? Not real likely, but, you might have a small crack in the chrome cover near that screw hole.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had this problem when I had my Heritage and ended up needing the inner primary re-sealed.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:44 AM
THEXFILES
6th Gear

When I was cleaning the case up to put it back on, you could see where the whole case had been machined along the edges, and where that screw hole was about 3 inches long it was smooth like it might have been a low spot and it was not machined ground all the way to do the whole surface, so i added a small bead of gasket sealer to that area. Going for a ride today, will repost if that works or not.

Quick Reply: Primary Case Problem