Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Pix of your shovels....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Powertrip240
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my "new-to-me" '75 Shovelhead. It belonged to my Brother-in-law, who passed away a couple months ago. It was his first Harley, and it meant a lot to my wife (his sister) that we keep it. It's kind of a Franken-Harley, made up of a few different bikes. The VIN says it's a '75 FXE SuperGlide. But of course, the VIN is on the motor, not the frame. I was told the front end is from a '79 Sportster, and the rear fender is from a '79 FLH. The fat bob split tanks are aftermarket, and the sissy bar is from a 2000 Softail. The tins have a custom House of Colors paint, with 7 coats of clear. As far as the frame, I don't know. It still needs a little work before it's road worthy. The speedo cable needs to be re-installed, and I need to find a spacer for the opposite side of the front axle. The front brakes need to be looked at as well. Also, the tail light wires rubbed on the rear tire and got shredded, so I need to re-wire the tail light. The turn signals don't work either, but that's the least of my worries. Other than that, after charging the battery, it fired right up and ran great.

EDIT: I found the VIN on the frame. It's very faint, but from what I can read, it matches the VIN on the motor, which matches the VIN on the title.

I found an old Clymer service manual for the Shovelheads in his shop, so that'll come in handy. I'm looking forward to learning more about the Shovel, and wrenching on it, and especially riding it.

Name:  FXE2_zps86k9pmgz.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  230.1 KB

Name:  FXE1_zpsinhi9frk.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  223.2 KB

Last edited by Powertrip240; 08-03-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:07 PM
Squidbilly*
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Powertrip240
This is my "new-to-me" '75 Shovelhead. It belonged to my Brother-in-law, who passed away a couple months ago. It was his first Harley, and it meant a lot to my wife (his sister) that we keep it. It's kind of a Franken-Harley, made up of a few different bikes. The VIN says it's a '75 FXE SuperGlide. But of course, the VIN is on the motor, not the frame. I was told the front end is from a '79 Sportster, and the rear fender is from a '79 FLH. The fat bob split tanks are aftermarket, and the sissy bar is from a 2000 Softail. As far as the frame, I don't know. It still needs a little work before it's road worthy. The speedo cable needs to be re-installed, and I need to find a spacer for the opposite side of the front axle. The front brakes need to be looked at as well. Also, the tail light wires rubbed on the rear tire and got shredded, so I need to re-wire the tail light. Other than that, after charging the battery, it fired right up and ran great.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the Shovel, and wrenching on it, and especially riding it.

First,
Sorry to hear of your Brother n law,
Musta been a good guy,
Some of the best bikes are a hodge podge of parts that seem to make their way together& the guys that keep them together

Old 08-02-2016, 01:37 AM
Powertrip240
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Squidbilly*
First,
Sorry to hear of your Brother n law,
Musta been a good guy,
Some of the best bikes are a hodge podge of parts that seem to make their way together& the guys that keep them together
Thanks Squidbilly, yeah, he was a helluva great guy.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:35 PM
waynebo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Bought this in late 79 when I got out of the 101st airborne.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:30 AM
saex
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flstci
Just picked this up. A very nice 82 FLH cleaning it up changing fluids etc...

Love this one, do you know or does anyone know if anyone still does the wing decal on the fuel tank because i've tried looking for them but no one seems to do them.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:18 PM
SARNA66
Stage I
Default 76 flh is an ongoing love

Need a better seat for 2 up- and a cool rear signal set up

Attached Thumbnails Pix of your shovels....-img_1375.jpg   Pix of your shovels....-img_1379.jpg   Pix of your shovels....-img_1380.jpg  
Old 10-01-2016, 04:46 AM
JackGriffin
6th Gear

Originally Posted by waynebo
I Bought this in late 79 when I got out of the 101st airborne.
I like that waynebo, is that a current photo? You've kept it like that since '79?

I was pointed towards this forum as a useful place for help with my evo softail, but all my other big twins have been shovels. Still have a couple of projects . . .

Old 10-01-2016, 06:05 AM
ac72rat
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default this guy for decals and transfers

Originally Posted by saex
Love this one, do you know or does anyone know if anyone still does the wing decal on the fuel tank because i've tried looking for them but no one seems to do them.
http://www.0given.com/

Old 10-09-2016, 10:53 PM
Edwin Ruiz
Stage I

My bike is running sluggish can anyone giveadvice

Old 10-14-2016, 10:27 PM
streetdog36
6th Gear

One of Mine...

Attached Thumbnails Pix of your shovels....-img_1224.jpg