Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

BAND STYLE INTAKE MANIFOLD SEALS 1983 FXWG / Super E

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM
pointdogg48
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAND STYLE INTAKE MANIFOLD SEALS 1983 FXWG / Super E

Does your guyses rubber band O rings fit snug, or flush with the intake manifold / carb tubes?

I had a huge intake leak on mine that would cause the gas to cut in and out under load. I finally took off the carb, cleaned it. and realized, the rubber O rings that hold the carb on the intake, are really loose, it almost looks like theres 1/4" of play around the tubes, I was wondering if I have the wrong ones, or everyones is loose like that?

I ended up just using them even though they fit loosely. And tightened the clamps almost to the max, and it got rid of my intake leak. But i read that over tightening will cause probs in the long run.

my question to everyone w/ the band style manifold seals. Is the rubber supposed to fit snug? mines is all loose and i have to use the clamps to tighten it down.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Assuming you have the late intake provided by S$S, I like to use BOTH the o-ring and band. It is a real pain to do, but once you get it on, its on, and no leaks.
The orings should be a form fit, not too big and not too small, as is the bands. Hope you are bracing the carb, either from the top or bottom. If you don't, it will continue to give you problems, and if you get a hard sneeze back through the carb, it can, and in some cases will blow the carb off.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Biggest thing is what Al said about the bracing and making sure the manifold of on the heads square . If your having big trouble drop the carb off the manifold then install it but not real tight . Put the carb on and it's best to use 2 braces one from the manifold down to the center case stud between the lifter blocks and the one from the front head to the air cleaner . It's common sometimes to have either space it a bit or bend it to fit without flexing any when you tighten it down . Get this done then cinch the intake clamps down good & tight .

Worse case I've run Hylomar on the seals to get to a few problem children to seal up . Works wonders for the old fat oring setup .