Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Clutch hub Nut

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 AM
Jonathon Beaudin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch hub Nut

hey, just wanted to ask... I tightened my clutch basket nut by hand, and it seems so tight I cant push my kick down. If I loosen it off a touch my kick will push down ok.... I just put in a sputhe 5 in 4 tranny. It only has a little oil in it, the clutch is dry from being out, and I used grease to hold the needle bearings while i slipped the clutch on. So when reading a post about Impacting the nut on, obviously it needs to be tight.

Maybe when the primary oil is in, and the tranny is full it will be a lot better? or did I forget something? The manual says 80-100 ft pounds I dont have that torque wrench

Thanks
(81 Lowrider)

Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

damn...something isnt right. Do you have cluch plates in there? something isnt spaced correctly , need more imfo. sorry

Old 12-31-2012, 02:46 AM
Jonathon Beaudin
Intermediate

ya seems like its getting tight up against the inner primary. Is there something supposed to be between the inner primary and the hub? I have never done a clutch before. Honestly I dont know how the clutch works. All the plates are in. The tension springs and cover isnt on yet. no rear drive chain on yet. Im just looking at the plates moving with the hub in the middle when I push the kicker. The primary chain is holding the outer part of the clutch

Im thinking the shaft taper would stop the clutch hub from touching the inner primary. Im wondering maybe the shaft isnt sticking out far enough, or the sizes of hole/taper is wrong. Im using the same clutch set up that I had with my 4 speed tranny. The 2 tranny's looked the same before I put in the Sputhe. Ill check at how far the shaft is sticking out

Last edited by Jonathon Beaudin; 12-31-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:20 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default clutch hub

Grabbing at straws Did you put the key into the keyway on the trany mainshaft ? And did you lock the key (super glue ) into the keyway so it wouldn't slide into the inner prim when putting on the clutch hub ?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Jonathon Beaudin
Intermediate

well I didnt glue it, but I took off the clutch a few times and it looked fine... didnt see any marks
I took off the clutch and now the tranny is locking without the clutch on... I can turn the shaft fairly easy a 1/4 turn in both directions, but it comes to dead stop each way....

The pluger that comes out the shaft is pushed all the way in, is it possible something is hitting that in the inside of the tranny? Its hydraulic cluch, and I dont have the control yet to push it out.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Are the shift drum and forks installed?

Old 01-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Jonathon Beaudin
Intermediate

I did see the drum and forks from the top cover. The gears in there looked really good.
Im going to remove the tranny and have a look inside. has to be something inside jamming up.
It seems torquing on the main shaft has made it jam. That bothers me... hopefully it will be something just needs simple adjusting. I checked out some youtube videos on dissasembly, and it accually looks fairly strait forward. Ill let u know if I find it

Old 01-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,550 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Is the clutch assembly actually touching the inner primary? In other words, it seems to slide too far down the tapered shaft?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Jonathon Beaudin
Intermediate

I dont think its touching. there isnt any marks to say so. Its locked up now, without the clutch on, since I used an impact on the hub nut. So im sure its something inside the tranny

Old 01-02-2013, 07:40 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

remove the hub-- turn the mainshaft-- does it turn?? install the hub WITHOUT the key -- tighten the nut hand tight + - does it turn? -- i had an issue where the primary chain would get super tight then loose -- everything checked as far a runout -- turns out the key wasnt sunk into the groove 100% -- i shaved it a tad till it fit snug but not where i had to use excessive force-- works fine now-- i have had the key push back into the inner primary bearing and do what your explaining -- a bad inner primary bearing also -- check the back of the hub for drag marks -- if ya had the inner primary off it may not be fully seated on the tranny --- also check the nuts that hold the inner primary onto the tranny (3/8ths n.f.) might be hitting them ..

Quick Reply: Clutch hub Nut