Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

'76 FXE Keihin Carb won't start if choke used

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:10 PM
RPBrant
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '76 FXE Keihin Carb won't start if choke used

I've been restoring a '76 FXE with stock Keihin since May and I've progressed to riding it around the local area frequently but I've still got an issue that I cannot figure out.

The bike won't start at all if I use any Choke.

So when the bike's cold I have to keep juicing the throttle until it's warm. After that it runs strong but has back pressure backfires during decel. Nothing terrible or loud (I've known some guys to even like the sound) but it's present and may be tied to the choke issue.

As part of the resto, I rebuilt the carb twice and replaced the pilot jet (from stock 1.00mm to .88mm) . The second rebuild was because I obviously wasn't thorough enough the first time for a bike that had been sitting for more than five years. The jet was because it wouldn't start with the mixture screwed turned anything more than 4/8 a turn from fully seated. Now it idles acceptably at around 5/8 after it's warm.

I'm using a 5 1/2" cheapo round air cleaner and pipes with baffles.

I'm wondering what some of the more experienced guys have to think. I'm leaning towards a clogged idle mixture circuit (holes) which means rebuild/cleaning number three.

Thoughts?

Old 08-03-2013, 08:11 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

if you live by a boat yard i would take the carb to them all apart and have them soak it in the sonic cleaner if thay have one / and they should if not find a boat yard that does have one

when you get it back it will be spotless Than put the jetting it is supposed to have not what works now with what else might be incorrect - you need to eliminate one problen at a time do that then reach out again - jz