Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

electrics

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:34 PM
sixty7flh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrics

woes... I thought I knew electric decent... I guess not. even though I know DC is a different animal than my AC I do a lot with (controls man), I always thought that on the bulb sockets the middle was hot and the outer part the base touches was ground. I guess not? Although I think it'd work either way, it just doesn't seem right? But that's what I just found on my bike. I am trying to get my 3 light dash all working.. those damn sockets seem shot too,,, but thats another story, first I better just figure out if they are o.k. having it wired what I call "backwards"? Is that the way trhey normally are?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:45 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the oil sender is the ground not the bulb holder ( like the speedo light ) so that is the reason they gave you 2 wires instead of the one as it originally was - one is 12 volts and the other wire go to the oil sender - no pressure it goes to ground / oil pressure no light it has no ground

the netural switch works the same way

Old 04-13-2014, 06:49 PM
sixty7flh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still cornfused? I just have a single wire going to these, speedo too. Isn't that single wire hot? I am (was) sure, now ya got me wondering.. isn't there a basic schematic that is better than the one the manual has? I used to have one of those easyrider tips books that had drawings but can't find it to see if it goes into the bulbs?

Old 04-13-2014, 07:06 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

OK see if you get this

original speedo one wire light the wire is 12 volts when the switch is turned to on for lights - AND the bulb holder tin is grounded to the speedo via the dash plate via the frame and all of it is grounded to the battery

oil light has one wire that is 12 volts in all switich on locations -- the tin bulb holder that is attached to the dash, is iseo from the dash with a reddish brown baker lite washer SO the 12 volts does not go to ground via the tin bulb holder connected to the dash - the oil pressure switich is the ground for the bulb

the netural light works the same way

Old 04-13-2014, 07:17 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
OK see if you get this

original speedo one wire light the wire is 12 volts when the switch is turned to on for lights - AND the bulb holder tin is grounded to the speedo via the dash plate via the frame and all of it is grounded to the battery

oil light has one wire that is 12 volts in all switich on locations -- the tin bulb holder that is attached to the dash, is iseo from the dash with a reddish brown baker lite washer SO the 12 volts does not go to ground via the tin bulb holder connected to the dash - the oil pressure switich is the ground for the bulb

the neutral light works the same way
That's what He's saying, his is reversed.
Center post IS suppose to be hot, Shell IS suppose to be Ground.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:07 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RANGER73
That's what He's saying, his is reversed.
Center post IS suppose to be hot, Shell IS suppose to be Ground.
I just have a single wire going to these, speedo too. Isn't that single wire hot? I am (was) sure, now ya got me wondering

This was his question - the shell is not ground on the oil and netural lights only the high beam and the speedo light

the problem is the new dash he has is not one wire its 2 and i already explained how to wire the 2 wire instead of the one wire -

maybe he has something completly different but i have no idea what that might be

Old 04-14-2014, 08:25 AM
LilRosie
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sixty7flh
I am still cornfused? I just have a single wire going to these, speedo too. Isn't that single wire hot? I am (was) sure, now ya got me wondering.. isn't there a basic schematic that is better than the one the manual has?

Maybe this'll help........

Last edited by LilRosie; 05-05-2014 at 09:58 PM.