Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

general vibration and rear wiggle

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Columbanus' assistant
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default general vibration and rear wiggle

Hello all,
So, my '69 shovel has a general vibration and it seems a little wobbly in the back end. Would you say that could be from the shocks? Maybe someone could suggest what to inspect for such a problem.
Thank you.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the movement in the back is the swingarm < couple of things -

1 -- worse case first -- the bolt on the right side is loose - problem they often strip the threads off the frame stub from the rocking back and forth - BUT good news - they make self tapping re thread bolts for the repair and they work good

2 -- the bearings have failed happens -

3 -- in a far out guess the swingarm is cracked < seen that happen not often at all But -

Old 04-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Columbanus' assistant
Novice

Thanks. I will look into that. That was not on my list of bad stuff to inspect.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 AM
GordFXE80
Intermediate

Had my frame break on my 67 FLH I used to own, just under the tranny at the tubing joint.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:14 AM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

yep, with what john said..

the 78 FLH i just picked up had the left shock bolt rattled loose. it looked like it was bolted on, but wasn't doing anything. this made the right shock carry the load and have an uneven weight put on one side of the swingarm. thus wore out the bearings

when on the ground, you can't really move the swigarm left to right because of the weight. but when you just barely take the weight off with a jack, there's a good 3/4" of play back and fourth. i'm hoping that just changing the bearings will cure this issue.

be sure to inspect the wheel bearings, spacers and axle while it's apart.

mike

Old 05-08-2014, 06:51 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Swingarm pivot bolt my not be loose but worn where the bearings ride on it particularly the drive side , doesn't take much to make the rear feel sloppy like bad shocks.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The swingarm spacers outboard of the bearings can wear causing the arm to wobble. The frame forgings those spacers contact can also get worn and cause the S/A to loosen. The threads in the frame for the S/A bolt can wear or get pulled and let the S/A wobble. The bolt can get wear in it at the bearing interface points giving wobble.
When assembling the S/A the bolt needs to be tight enough to cause a weight scale to register six more pound than it weighs to lift the S/A above level. As in if the S/A weighs say 20 lbs. you torque the bolt to give 26 lbs to move the S/A up from level. Never loosen the bolt to allow the lock washer ear to hold the bolt hex flat. A little bit tighter is safer in this case.
The frame at the left swingarm mount forging was re-enforced in later years to deal with the power of the engine being applied at a relatively week point. That power will go some where else when it is stopped by the re-enforcement, hence the S/A moves other than just swinging. That movement manifests in rubbing the spacer at the frame mount wearing it over time and loosening the fit set when assembling the S/A. This is why the S/A should be inspected at least once a year and more often if it seem to be a reoccurring problem.
A wobbly S/A can cost a life!

Last edited by Krutch; 05-21-2014 at 01:48 PM.