Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Intake Manifold Leak/Alignment ('76 FXE)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:54 AM
RPBrant
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Leak/Alignment ('76 FXE)

Looking for opinions

I've discovered that my intake leak is due to a misaligned IM. Seems like someone (PO?) didn't aligned it before torquing the heads.

Should I attempt to loosen the headbolts to align it and risk Mr. Murphy showing up to kill my riding season (frozen headbolts, etc)

or

should I create a temp fix to get me through the riding season. I did the temp fix last year (unknowingly) and it got me through the year.

Thanks for any input and/or arguments for one option or the other.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:01 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

set the new o rings in place with the bracket so the carb is in the spot it will be when tight than use a USA electrical tape and rap around the o rings a few times this will aid the seal and use aircraft clamps on the carb / manifold and you jhould be good for the season

Old 05-20-2014, 11:31 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

What Johnjzjz said. If you loosen the headbolts and shift the heads the chances are you will need to replace the head gaskets.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need to fix the issue properly. You don't want to have the leak return while ridding at speed or sneak back when you need it least. It can melt a piston pretty quickly or burn a valve/seat in a hurry.
You should pull the heads and check their flatness, install new quality head gaskets and shift the heads for the closest gap you can get at the IM before you torque the heads.
Not all IMs are a good fit. Some fit better and some seem to have a top/bottom to the O-ring flanges. If the heads have been milled for flatness several times or the cylinders have stroker plates under them the "spread" at the IM could be further apart or closer than OEM standards.
All those parts were made to a blueprint yet with tolerances at manufacturing and wear over time, not to mention any mods made by OP's and such, one needs to fit things at assembly. Can't just throw one together anymore, the cost and availability of good parts plus down time requires careful, thoughtful work.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:02 PM
RPBrant
6th Gear

Thanks guys for the input.

So, I went for the quick fix (best fit and a little electrical tape) just for the weekend. Went for a shakedown run around the town and all was good........ until the coil burned out.

Fix, ride, repeat. I'm thinking that a shovelhead owner really may not mean shovelhead rider. I'm thinking "shovelhead owner and Dyna lowrider rider" might be the real ticket.

Thanks again. On my way out to the garage multimeter in hand! lol

Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 PM
RPBrant
6th Gear
Default '76 FXE Intake Manifold Leak UPDATE

So, I thought I'd take a moment to revisit this thread.

I closed out last time with a "took the short cut and all is well". Bullshit.

I really should have listened to the reasonable guys that said fix it now and save yourself a hassle in the long run.

In trying to save me riding season, I actually lost it. I've had the manifold off about three times already looking for that magic bullet that would keep me riding without really fixing the problem.

The purpose of this post is to say "you were all correct". MY next free weekend I'm actually going to start the in depth corrective action that should have been done in the first place. The heads have to be adjusted to align with the intake manifold and they have to come off so the head gasket can replaced at the same time.

Probably going to do some cleaning and shining while I"m at it.

Thanks for the original correct advice. Wish I had heeded it the first time.