General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide fairing vibration/ saddlebag squeak

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:43 PM
GJB116
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street Glide fairing vibration/ saddlebag squeak

Picked up a '16 Street Glide in June and I love it. I've put almost 4K on it and i know things are going to start getting a little loose and making some noise but I've got two issues that are driving me batshit crazy:

I have a rattle behind my inner fairing that I hear in acceleration and deceleration between 2200 and 2500 rpm. I can hear it clearly over the stereo. When I place my hand on the fairing left of the radio display, the noise stops. The noise only happens when the bike is rolling. First time I heard it I pulled over and tried to find the sound by revving the motor, but it won't do it on the kickstand. I took the bike in to the dealer for the clutch master recall and told the service writer about it. Of course when they called to tell me the bike was done, the tech "couldn't find the issue in the fairing", but sure as ****, pulling away it was the first thing I heard. It drives me nuts. Anyone ever had anything similar happen?

The he second issue I have is a bird like chirp from the right saddlebag. I hear it at idle. I hear it while riding. In fact if I turn my head to the right while cruising all I hear is that chirp. If I push on the bag it disappears. I tried tightening the screws on the fender behind the bag. I tried putting a shim in the grommet holding the bag to the frame hoping that would tighten it up. No luck. Of course the tech couldn't find anything there either. He said it was probably the "items in saddlebag rattling." Took everything out- rattle still there.

Did I just get an exceptionally lazy tech that didn't want to chase down these issues? Do HD techs not get paid on stuff like this and just don't want to deal with it? I know it's a Harley and it's a shaking, shuddering big twin, but it's also a brand new bike and for what I paid it should at least get an attempt from the dealership.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:38 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Lazy tech - quite possible.

The fairing will probably need dug into to find the noise. Have fun with that one.

For the saddlebag, I'd shoot some silicone spray on the grommets as well as the rubber spacers on the bottom of the bag.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:24 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

The saddlebag squeak could be the rubber hanger for the exhaust,under the 'bag. Quite common for them to dry out and sqeek,when the exhaust is shaking around.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:10 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
The saddlebag squeak could be the rubber hanger for the exhaust,under the 'bag. Quite common for them to dry out and sqeek,when the exhaust is shaking around.
Yep. That right there. Drove me nuts until I sprayed it with WD40.

On the fairing - my vent flap made some noise. Play around the vent lever while riding and see if it changes. I added some sticky back foam pieces to the corners so the flap doesn't hit the hard plastic when open.

Other than that, windshield screws loose.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:03 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

The bike is only a few months old, so I wouldn't think the rubber hanger is dried out just yet.

I agree, try spraying the 2 bottom and 2 mounting rubber grommets on the saddle bag. I also push down on the saddle bag to seat it tight against the bottom rubbers when reinstalling the bags. Sometimes you need to push the mounting clips down a hair so when you install the pin locks, that'll help hold the bags down tight.

As far as the rattle, probably have to pull fairing off and take a peek

Old 09-28-2016, 10:04 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

The dealer should pull the outer fairing to see if anything is loose inside. I have more miles that you on my 16 with zero rattles. As far as the saddle bag, I have after market exhaust but I did have a loose rubber grommet cause a similar noise. I would also check the hanger like the posters above described. I ended up using RTV to keep it from moving around, and the noise went away.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:02 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by us1fountain
The bike is only a few months old, so I wouldn't think the rubber hanger is dried out just yet.

I agree, try spraying the 2 bottom and 2 mounting rubber grommets on the saddle bag. I also push down on the saddle bag to seat it tight against the bottom rubbers when reinstalling the bags. Sometimes you need to push the mounting clips down a hair so when you install the pin locks, that'll help hold the bags down tight.

As far as the rattle, probably have to pull fairing off and take a peek
Easy enough to check,start it,let it idle ,put a boot against the muffler,see if the squeak stops.. The bike being a couple months old doesn't mean the rubbers are.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:36 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

I pulled the rear bags off tightened everything up and replaced the pins with screw's & nut clips.
Make sure you check the hinges, some times all they need is a slight turn to be tight.
As for under the fairing I pulled mine apart and found a number of issues (older bike though).
Snugged/checked everything, I actually had a couple of missing fasteners.
I also found a cracked bracket under the fairing and one on the bags (again older bike).
Welded them up (could have replaced them, but what's the fun in that).
I have seen a lot of bikes that just need some maintenance (love & attention).

Old 09-30-2016, 08:57 PM
fretone1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 2016 SGS and at about the same miles, I heard the fairing noise and knew it was the vent. I took it to my dealer, they checked it and yup, fairing vent loose. Something about two sided tape came loose, re-stuck... I don't know but after they finished, no more noise.

Meantime now at 14k miles I also have a noise under the right saddlebag but it isn't a chirp (wd 40 takes care of that on the rubber groments, at least temporarily), mine sounds more like a baffle inside the muffler has come loose. Also getting louder. Haven't figured this out yet...

Old 10-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

I had an annoying chirp noise coming from what I thought was my right saddlebag, but turned out to be a broken exhaust mount to the frame near the tranny. Worth checking for cracked mounts with a flashlight. Also, shake your exhaust pipes, and/or tap them with a rubber mallet to see if the exhaust is the culprit. Might also be the heat shield clamps, possibly one is broken, or your heat shields may be rubbing up against the frame. I've got an '07, so take this with a grain of salt...