Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Digital Processors

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 06:22 PM
pdevore
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Digital Processors

Out of curiosity, are any of the guys on here running a Digital Processor with their system? I am considering add one with the hopes of counteracting the factory 6.5 head unit. As much as I like my Focal and Hertz speakers with the 2 Diamond Micro's, I wonder how could sound with ST35's and 165.1's in the fairing and another set in the lids. The lids would require me to fabricate new adapters and such. I would be looking a HDP amp to push all or even 2 amp. I would mount the ST35's in the glovebox's and amp/s and processor in the bags.
Thank
Pete

Old 10-02-2016, 06:44 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Funny you asked this question. I was in a conversation with badazzbikes today and he suggested one for mine in place of the current BT Line Leveler. He recommended the JL Audio FIX 86.
At $350.00 im curious as to the same question you asked

Old 10-02-2016, 07:39 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by tesnevo
Funny you asked this question. I was in a conversation with badazzbikes today and he suggested one for mine in place of the current BT Line Leveler. He recommended the JL Audio FIX 86.
At $350.00 im curious as to the same question you asked
the issue with the JL Fix is that for 365 bucks you can not adjust the settings, you need another 300 dollar part to access those settings. If I'm adding a true DSP then I'd like to be able to adjust it....that's kinda the point

Old 10-02-2016, 07:45 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by pdevore
Out of curiosity, are any of the guys on here running a Digital Processor with their system? I am considering add one with the hopes of counteracting the factory 6.5 head unit. As much as I like my Focal and Hertz speakers with the 2 Diamond Micro's, I wonder how could sound with ST35's and 165.1's in the fairing and another set in the lids. The lids would require me to fabricate new adapters and such. I would be looking a HDP amp to push all or even 2 amp. I would mount the ST35's in the glovebox's and amp/s and processor in the bags.
Thank
Pete
Pete your saying SPL's in fairing and lids? Do you have other speakers for low end freqs. DSP's are great if you know how to tune then, but really over half of the features won't get used on a bike. Also the ST35's I normally see them under the radio, now who ever did Bunkers that molded them to his glovebox was pretty sweet looking. Rain would be my only concern. I say you get a set of SPL's and see if you like how they sound first before jumping into the deep end.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:39 PM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor
Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

To be clear we do not sell the jl fix 86. I actually agree with haze that if I can't adjust it what's the point in having it. Now there are other dips out there that can be used that will do a pretty good job. However my 1st and for most recommendation will always be to junk the crappie boom head unit and go aftermarket.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:29 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by BaddAzzBikes
However my 1st and for most recommendation will always be to junk the crappie boom head unit and go aftermarket.
Or just stuff the 700 DSP bucks in a mattress for a while and put it towards the replacement Boom HU!!!!

Just sayin!!!!

T.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
the issue with the JL Fix is that for 365 bucks you can not adjust the settings, you need another 300 dollar part to access those settings. If I'm adding a true DSP then I'd like to be able to adjust it....that's kinda the point
Hmmm $665 bucks for a DSP? Not a "FIX" if it breaks the bank! Money better spent on a great amp or good speakers. Not to mention a solid HU!

Old 10-04-2016, 04:24 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

I think there's a lot of negative towards the JL FiX, it is what it is...

You pay $150 for the BT Line Levelers that have fixed capacitors to squash the dreaded EQ curve, the MOCO counters with another curve that renders the Line Leveler useless (hypothetical)

You pay $350 for a JL FiX that can be reprogrammed if the MOCO changes the curve. If you'd like to add the TwK for full system tuning then you have that option.

Again, it is what it is and it does it's job if that's the route you want to take.

Yes, something like a Fosagte 3.sixty.3 would be a better choice for a true DSP.

I looked at doing a FiX and a TwK and decided I'd rather spend the money on a new head unit and be done with it. So far I'm MUCH happier

Old 10-10-2016, 07:18 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
I think there's a lot of negative towards the JL FiX, it is what it is...

You pay $150 for the BT Line Levelers that have fixed capacitors to squash the dreaded EQ curve, the MOCO counters with another curve that renders the Line Leveler useless (hypothetical)

You pay $350 for a JL FiX that can be reprogrammed if the MOCO changes the curve. If you'd like to add the TwK for full system tuning then you have that option.

Again, it is what it is and it does it's job if that's the route you want to take.

Yes, something like a Fosagte 3.sixty.3 would be a better choice for a true DSP.

I looked at doing a FiX and a TwK and decided I'd rather spend the money on a new head unit and be done with it. So far I'm MUCH happier
Well I obtained a JL fix 82 today. Couldn't pass up a new one for $200.00 to test this. BUT this was based off of a personal conversation during a training meeting at one of the local a/v companies that I use. He is the head of product development for JL Audio. Simply put from him, by December, they will release a software compatable with the fix 82 & 86 that will have no less than a 6-9 band eq, time phase correction and many other consumer customizable settings. THIS ALONE sold me, well that and the cheap price.
So within the next couple of weeks I will install this and auto tune it with the bike running to eliminate any BS that Harley has programmed in the radio when it runs. Also since the front 2 channels are a better sq on these bikes (thanks to HK/HD for whatever stupid reason the come up with) I will only be using the 2 front channels going to 4 out since I've not used fade control on anything I've ever owned.

Granted this is not a new head unit, as that would be a hell of a lot better option, but for $200.00 it's worth the try. And yes, I already own 2 btll and while I like them I still want another option that has a better customization possibility no matter what a persons setup is.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:23 AM
black01
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

BAB, do you guys have any info on the ARC DSP coming out in a month or so?

Quick Reply: Digital Processors