Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PBR300x2 problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:21 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Default PBR300x2 problem

Hey guys, I've been running a PBR300x2 for a few years now. It is hooked to Infinity Kappa 62.ii and stock head unit. Today, while riding the music turned off and I could smell a burnt electronics smell at the same time. I turned off the radio and continued riding.
I got home and took the outer off and turned on the radio. The power protect light was lit on the amp. I unplugged the speaker outputs, but the light still came on, I unplugged the inputs (which I used as the remote turn on) and turned the unit on with one side disconnected, no light, but no sound out of the other side either. I plugged a speaker into the radio outputs and they are fine, no problem with the leads from the radio.
It appears to me that the amp is fried, I took the cover off, no real nasty electronics smell. Does this sound like the amp to you guys? If so, I think I will get a better amp, maybe a soundstream or Arc Audio. What do you guys think?

Old 10-10-2016, 03:33 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by SG-Jay
Hey guys, I've been running a PBR300x2 for a few years now. It is hooked to Infinity Kappa 62.ii and stock head unit. Today, while riding the music turned off and I could smell a burnt electronics smell at the same time. I turned off the radio and continued riding.
I got home and took the outer off and turned on the radio. The power protect light was lit on the amp. I unplugged the speaker outputs, but the light still came on, I unplugged the inputs (which I used as the remote turn on) and turned the unit on with one side disconnected, no light, but no sound out of the other side either. I plugged a speaker into the radio outputs and they are fine, no problem with the leads from the radio.
It appears to me that the amp is fried, I took the cover off, no real nasty electronics smell. Does this sound like the amp to you guys? If so, I think I will get a better amp, maybe a soundstream or Arc Audio. What do you guys think?
If your budget permits you can't go wrong with the Arc Moto 600.4
It's a great amp!!

Old 10-10-2016, 05:54 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

Gannicus, does it also sound to you like the my amp is bad?
Thanks for the input on the amp. Is the Arc worth the money over the Soundstream? Living in Canada our dollar isn't worth shat, so basically add 30% to the price you have. I might do a speaker upgrade at the same time. What do you recommend for a reasonable budget say $200 for speakers?

Last edited by SG-Jay; 10-10-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:29 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

If your budget doesn't allow for that much lol look at the cerwin Vega b2.. I upgraded from my pbr to the b2. It smaller and sounds alot better, but that's just me. I don't hear about the b2 anymore but it's been a killer little amp for me

Old 10-10-2016, 08:22 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

Thanks for the advice on the cw b2. In your opinion does it sound like my amp is fried?

Old 10-10-2016, 08:30 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Your amp could be fried. If the protect light stays on that's a good indicator.

There are better amps out these days, sounds like a good time to upgrade. The Cerwin B52 would be great for your application and price range.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:13 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

Thanks Haze. Any others to look at? The CW better than the SS? I don't mind spending $300 or so. I'm sure the sound will be better than the PBR. What speakers do you recommend in the $200 range?

Old 10-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Your amp could be fried. If the protect light stays on that's a good indicator.

There are better amps out these days, sounds like a good time to upgrade. The Cerwin B52 would be great for your application and price range.
I'm with Haze. Sounds like your amp has seen it's best days. I'd get this amp:

https://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-Vega-B.../dp/B00ZAQVMJC

And these speakers:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107MM65...6642625&awdv=c

Last edited by Gannicus; 10-10-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:48 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

The Vega is definitely a step up from the pbr. With that and an aftermarket HU and the kappas I already had I was more than happy, for a week or so lol. A year later I still have the same set up and I'm still wanting more.. You will be pleased but you will always want more

Old 10-10-2016, 05:49 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

If your speakers are still good keep them. You'll be surprised how good they sound with some real power behind them. The amp Gan suggested would be perfect.

Quick Reply: PBR300x2 problem