Sponsored by:

Metal valve stems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Shakin
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Metal valve stems

Can anyone her tell me , Why don't the dealers have a part # for metal valve stems Factory . Reason is , i have the Wheel and Tire warranty on my bike when i bought new. Want to put TPM , on wheels with Harley stems so it should be covered under warranty with the package.
I know after market has stems. But want Harley ones.
Help me , as i have been to dealership's 5 of them and they say Harley does not offer one, are they Just to Lazy to look them UP ?
2015 FLHXS Factory Wheels .

Old 11-09-2016, 08:22 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

42300046 is the part number for the metal valve stem from factory on CVO models but they are angled stems and you might have clearance problems with calibers. Should have straight stems.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:37 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I always run metal on tubeless tires. Ever see a rubber valve stem rip from the use of tpm sensors? Not worth it. Wouldn't tpm sensors be kind of annoying when you check the pressure before each ride? Seems kind of overkill.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:52 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
I always run metal on tubeless tires. Ever see a rubber valve stem rip from the use of tpm sensors? Not worth it. Wouldn't tpm sensors be kind of annoying when you check the pressure before each ride? Seems kind of overkill.
That's what the TPMS are for to be able to check the tire pressure

Old 11-09-2016, 08:59 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I guess it's the one with the keychain with digital readout. Just seems pointless if you are checking pre ride. Its not like it will let you know you are getting a flat when riding before you feel the tire going flat.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

On the CVO's its in the Boom Audio Screen.
Its also a warning light in the speedo so yes, it will tell you when the tire is going flat, before it is completely flat.

Checking the tires pressure on the TPMS screen is a lot easier than climbing under the rear to check.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Wouldn't tpm sensors be kind of annoying when you check the pressure before each ride?
If you have a smartphone, it's as easy as looking at the app to see what the tire pressures are

https://my-fobo.com/product/fobobike

Old 11-15-2016, 03:10 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

http://www.tpms.ca/t-valve%20tire%20...s,%20tpms.html

Makes it much easier when you need to add air.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:09 PM
ColoStreetGlide
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by elPrez

This is what I put on for my TPMS.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Sedonastrider
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by elPrez

***BUYER BEWARE!!!

I ordered these and had the dealer install one during new front tire installation. I figured next rear tire installed, I'd have them do it at that time (I will need one relatively soon)

Dealer checked air and off I went, they put the shipping box in the hard bag as I wanted to install the readout myself. Started getting lots of vibration and instability within a few miles once on the highway. I do accept full accountability for not having the readout and TPMS units mounted up when I left the dealership to have tire pressure numbers showing up. Although, unbeknownst to me they weren't in the box. Which was the second issue dealing with the Hawks head dingbats. They accused me and/or the dealership as stealing the TPMS sending units!!! When actually they were not included in the box that they shipped directly to the dealership. They didn't give a damn about there $hitty workmanship but only about where the sending units were!

Went back to dealership and they checked the front T Valve and it was leaking. They pulled it off and used the other one in the shipping box. They showed me a pinhole in the t valve where T was supposed to be brazed/welded.

Do off I go for the second time and same thing!

The air leak was not audible at all. But with soapy water you could see bubbles forming

I called costumer service and they could have cared less. They fought me in it the whole way and barely returned them. I asked them if they bench/quality tested them and they said
Nnnnooooo
WTF
I said build a jig and figure it out before someone gets hurt.

I went with another company that I can't recall offhand and gave had good success with them.

If I was at home I'd load up the photos of the pinholes in both t valves right now

Saw this post and it reminded me to reply and I'll post up a new thread when I get back into town with the pictures and I'll name the individual who also happened to claim to be partners in the Hawks head company

I would never run anything from that company ever again. I used to work in a machine shop and the family business ships machinery internationally. Normally, Canadians are know for high quality machining with aluminum, NOT this Canadian company

It's your life. Consider yourself warned

Last edited by Sedonastrider; 11-16-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Metal valve stems