Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21" Rim Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 01:32 PM
lpj1019
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21" Rim Advice Needed

I have my 07 FLHX torn down being painted, I want to install a 21" rim on the front but I read an article that I should lower the forks because running a 21" makes the front end heavy at slow speeds and in turns.

I call my local Harley service department to ask the same question, he puts me on hold and comes back with, "I just asked the tech, he said you don't have to change anything but you have to run a Metzler tire."

What?.....Why?

I don't know, he didn't go into details.

Call another local dealer and he told me you don't have to change anything but it does make sense to lower. He also commented that he doesn't recommend the 21", it has a smaller tire and you have less tire on the ground, etc.
Said if your just gonna ride to bar jump with your buddy and go to bike nights he understands a 21" but if your riding long distance, he has heard nothing but problems from people with 21"

Am I over thinking this?????

Old 02-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Wanting more
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a 21in rim on my Road King for a few years now and never had any problems. I know for sure I do not have a Metzler tire (not sure what he is talking about). Go for it, you won't be disappointed. Hands down one of my best upgrades. Good Luck.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:34 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Yes the 21" wheel will have a tire that is not as deep in the aspect ratio (ratio of the height to width) which means you might be more likely to bend the rim if you hit a pot hole
No, you can use any tire
Typically going to a 21" front wheel will raise the front end up about 1" - this will change your front fork rake - you might feel it, you might not
You don't have to lower the front end unless you don't like the look or you feel the bike feels sluggish due to the increase rake angle
You will need to raise your front fender so it doesn't rub on the new wheel
Yes you're over-thinking it - slightly but you're not reinventing the wheel - it's been done by many before you...

Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 PM
mgmonster
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also have an '07 SG. I put a 21" wheel on mine with no other changes. Rode it like that for about a year and a half. Then I put the Progressive mono tubes in the forks which lowered the front end 1". I think the bike handles much better with the front lowered. You can do it either way. The bike geometry is much closer to stock with the front lowered.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:53 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

He maybe recommended the Metzlers due to the fender needing modified to raise it slightly for clearance. Maybe the Metzler is a shorter tire, who knows. Drill the rear fender holes out and rock the fender up and be done with it. I lowered mine 1 1/2" with Arlen Ness shorter damper tubes. Handles and rides fine. Just make sure you run about 42 psi in the tire cold. Keeps them from expanding too much at high speed and lessens the chance of a pothole taking out your rim. The footprint is the same or more than a 16" tire.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:43 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

To keep the same riding characteristics and handling geometry of the bike, when you install a 21" front rim, you should lower the front suspension of the bike by 1" as the 21" wheel effectively raises the front end by an inch and a half, more or less.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:46 AM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmonster
I also have an '07 SG. I put a 21" wheel on mine with no other changes. Rode it like that for about a year and a half. Then I put the Progressive mono tubes in the forks which lowered the front end 1". I think the bike handles much better with the front lowered. You can do it either way. The bike geometry is much closer to stock with the front lowered.
I have an identical setup on my 08, I feel like 21" improved handling to me.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:33 PM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was running 21 since 2006 coast to coast to coast . with no handling problems at all

Old 02-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Streetglider1965
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmonster
Same for me. 2011 FLHX

Old 02-26-2017, 08:08 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,958 Likes on 2,352 Posts

You do not have to lower the front. It will handle slightly different as you have change the trail and rake slightly.

I have been running a 21 on my Fatboy for five years now. I chose to lower the front one inch while installing progressive mono tubes in the forks.

This puts rake and trail back to stock. It also puts better suspension in the front. Handles just like stock or a little better.

Quick Reply: 21" Rim Advice Needed