General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milwaukee 8 or Thunderstroke 111

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:41 PM
Tom Corr
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milwaukee 8 or Thunderstroke 111

I currently ride the Harley Switchback and have 35k on it so far. I'm looking at the Road King for 2018 and have also been thinking about the Springfield. Any thoughts?

Old 02-26-2017, 03:53 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

I'd suggest you ride both. I test rode the springfield and was a little disappointed with the fit. It just didn't feel right for me. Little things like the windshield position, handlebar placement, and gage layout just didn't work for me in comparison to the road king.

The engine was very nice and smooth, and the acceleration was very nice. The ride was pleasant and the springfield was very stable at speed. I thought the Road King was better at slow speed handling. For me the swoopy fenders and lines of the springfield weren't quite my cup of tea and it looked like there would be a little more body piece removal during normal maintenance, but I didn't really dive into that aspect of the comparison.

Really though, that's all just personal opinion. You might walk away from the comparison differently

The following users liked this post:
1goindiesel (02-28-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 04:31 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

I've ridden the Indian 111 (for a couple of days) and frankly my 110 is just as strong or even stronger. I consider the M8 a better /stronger motor than the 110.

Only thing I don't like with the M8 is the fact that you have to lift the tank to replace the plugs. No biggie really.

Last edited by HD_fan; 02-26-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:22 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

I'd recommend you ride them both to see/feel the differences first hand. And also recommend thinking long and hard on purchasing an Indian. Maybe they'll be around for a couple few years. Possibly even longer, but I just don't know how they'll be around for very long. Unless maybe they release something that catches on really big, and EVERYONE just has to have one!

Old 02-26-2017, 06:36 PM
teal379
Tourer
Received 171 Likes on 92 Posts

Polaris's financial health doesn't give me the super warm fuzzies. While Indian has been good for them, it also makes Indian attractive as a saleable asset should Polaris need more capital. They are NOT a motorcycle company at heart. (Polaris)

HD does have a history of staying with a general engine family for a long time and the after market supports HD like no other. I can still get new parts for HD engines made in the 30's. 80 years ago. The Thunderstroke is what - 5 years old and backed by a company that already shuttered one motorcycle company this year.

No question for me.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:17 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Polaris took a Victory design that was in the works (Octane) and made it into a bike which sold very well for Indian (scout). Then they turned on Victory and killed them without a second thought.

Spy photos for the bike showed the Octane before the Scout was introduced. It was a big seller for Indian.

VIctory made the Judge for 2 years. It was the first and only Victory that made people sit up and take notice of them, and they killed it without a second thought. Indian motorcycle has a track record of doing this to their customers that dates back to their inception. To date no one knows why.

The list of motorcycle companies that Indian has killed in their wake continues to grow. If you want to trust a company like that, be my guest. I'm sure the bikes themselves are ok. I have ridden one and liked it. After the faux retro thing wore off, meh. I am glad I stuck with Harley.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:28 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Wow, your situation sounds similar to mine. I have a Switchback also. I've test ridden a 2017 RK and was very impressed with it. I haven't ridden the Indian, but like rjj629 noted above, the fit didn't feel right when even sitting on it.
I've upgraded my FLD's suspension with Hagon shocks and Racetech springs and Gold Valve Emulators in the fork. Having also test ridden a 2014 RK, aside from the 107 engine (which is fantastic) the suspension upgrades on the 2017 stood out for me as compared to what I remembered on the 2014. Overall, I thought the M8 RK was outstanding. It handles excellent for a bike of it's mass and the 107 is a nice upgrade from the 103. I've been thinking hard on the new RK. When finances allow, that could very well be my next bike.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:29 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

There are some interesting things about the TS111 that make it worth serious consideration. It's a very good motor.

Whether or not you like the bike built around it is up to you.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:30 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,177 Likes on 6,218 Posts

M8 will likely be in production for the next 17 years. I am not so sure the Thunder stroke will.

The Indian product is so niche market, even more than Harley is. That limits growth potential and things like market saturation come into play which could ultimately mean the end of the Indian name yet again, It's a the same fate Victory suffered and Victory had the advantage of being its own thing rather than a clone of yesteryear.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

After what Polaris did to Victory and the way they did it ? I don't know how anyone could even consider an Indian. Especially for the money they want. It isn't like CMC/Gilroy Indians are collectors items.

Quick Reply: Milwaukee 8 or Thunderstroke 111