Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

My ironhead project

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Inkslinger90
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My ironhead project

So i bought a 73 ironhead xlh 1000 that i decided to go thru. I got the electrical issues worked out before i pulled the motor to do lower end seals and gaskets. My biggest concern now is making sure the washers on the cams are in the right location because i dont trust the previous mechanic as far as i can throw him and getting them back in. I haven't done anything to the topend and am hoping someone can tell me a trick to getting my machine back together without pulling the jugs to get the push rods out of the way.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:17 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you need the service manual. Check out Tatro's videos on restoring this '61 Ironhead. Vid #148 shows how to check for proper cam end play. Regarding the removing the push rods, you should be able to loosen the push rod adjusting nuts so that the push rods will come out with out having to remove the heads. Unless the PO installed the adjusting nuts in backwards, which is a common mistake, then the rods will not come out without loosening the head bolts.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Inkslinger90
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea ive got a service manual but i didnt know that my push rods came out that easy. My grandad poked some fun at me for over looking it but in my defense ive only been inside inline fours. Now my biggest obstacle is getting the seal back into my oil pump without damage. Even with the right size socket pushing it evenly it's super tedious because its the size of a dime. Thanks for the link ill be subscribing to his channel.