Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bars and seats and suspensions, oh my.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:49 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts
Default Bars and seats and suspensions, oh my.

Here's my impressions on my new upgrades. Your mileage may vary.

We had a temp drop yesterday and they called for rain. Wife's cousins bailed. I knew he would. I left out yesterday at 4 it was 50°. I live on Lake Erie so that dictates temps this time of year. I headed straight south. Withing 20 miles it was back to 60. Hit 65 so I was even happier I said **** it I'm riding. It was 40° when I got back. Lol.

I have a big 100 mile coffee run loop I do. The DD is 3 miles from my house. Usually at the 45 mile point I am ready to get off that Saddleman Solo POS. It's a stop at another lake with docks and a outhouse to ****. With the new Harley seat I rode right past that stop and just kept right on riding. And kept on riding. At the 110 mile Mark I pulled into a guy from works driveway. Not because my *** hurt. But because he wanted to see my bike. I could have emptied the tank with this seat. It absolutely compares to my hammock. When I'm going on a marathon ride I usually add padded bicycle shorts. They really help.

So. Comparing my Mustang Wide Vintage Solo and the Saddleman Dominator Solo to the Harley Davidson Solo. Hands down the Harley seat blows them both away according to my ***. The Mustang was good for a bit over an hour and I wanted off. The Saddleman. That seat was just junk. The Saddleman reps at my dealer said that they need some riding to break in. Well. No. After 4000 miles on that seat. It sucks just as bad before I sold it as it did the day I bought it. I'd never suggest anyone buy a Saddleman seat. We'll constructed. But not comfy. Mustang Solo had the advantage on the back rest only. Excellent quality too. But a hard seat. I put 40,000 miles on that solo seat.

I'm riding out to Philly to my other house. That's usually a 1200 mile weekend. 460 out ride a bit there. And 460 home. I may do it on the new Solo seat.

The Progressive mono tubes. Lowered 1" maybe a bit more.

Yesterday was all Farm Road riding. No interstate at all. I've seen this front end described as "harsh" it's anything but harsh. Likely they've never driven a sport tuned suspension. It's not you grandma's old caddy. It's responsive and aggressive. Just how it should be. It reacts positively and without delay. I tried the front brake in a curve. (Very controlled test) lol. There was no cars around. I was not going to fast for the curve. I just want to see if it would change my direction. In the case it was a really controlled slow down. Followed my line the entire way through. Confidence in needed a panic stop or slowdown in a curve just went up. Not to the cocky level. But assured I can in a safer manner. Last thing I did was hit a side road by my house. 1/4 mile of washboard road. Ya. It sucked. But normally I'd get bounced in different directions. Here I followed my line in spite of the bashing the front end was taking.

I seen some guys complain about one leg being longer and the bike won't track straight. Not true if assembly is done as it should be. I set the cruise at 50 on a 2 lane and let go. Dead nuts on straight down the road. I could move it where I wanted with a simple lean. I don't think I'll ever have a bike without an upgraded front end.

Handlebars.

Factory 47 Signature Bars 12"

Bars are usually either comfortable or they're not. Usually.

These are 36" wide and I'll say that takes a mile or 2 to get used to. Also. Your seat will dictate a few things. I have sat on it with the Hammock but not ridden it. My first 2 rides are with the Harley Solo. An out 2" down and at least 2" back.

I can say I was immediately glad I did not go 14's. The bars are just below shoulder height. 14s would put me at or just above. I don't want that.

These bars are super comfortable compared to stock. I have this thing when I right I constantly flex my traps. Don't ask why. Lol. When I notice I relax. I was hoping the bar height would stop me from doing that. Nope. Lol. Wrist angle.is perfect. With the stock bars I was always letting go and laying my hand across the grips to take.the angle.off my wrists. No more doing that. Couldn't be happier. I do have to roll my controls forward a bit. I'm missing the buttons I want to hit.

Need to raise up my headlights. I love the look of the rear crash bars. Love the color matched cow bells and chrome lowers.

Also. My new Shark Modular. Great helmet. Love having the option of a 3/4 or a FF without having to carry an extra helmet.

Odd thing was it didn't really fog up, remember it was 40 when I got home. It built up what looked like a gel. Just opening it up a bit cleared it. But I need to get a pinlock shield. If I can.

So there's my report.

Before

After

Last edited by RFG7680; 03-26-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:30 AM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts on the new seat. Sounds like you are ready for the riding season with your new updates to the bike. And will be riding more comfortable to boot.
The other two seats even look uncomfortable

Old 03-26-2017, 09:41 AM
HarleyBP
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 93 Posts

Interesting write-up and the bike looks awesome!

Old 03-26-2017, 05:03 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Interesting take on things. You're the first person that I have read about liking the mono's dropped an inch in the newer larger forks. Were yours the preload adjustable ones? I have the standards in my 10 and I like them. They are stiffer than stock but they need to be. Seats are well seats... I love my mustangs and unlike others I didn't like saddleman Corbin or ultimate as well as a few harley ones I tried. I did not try the HD solo.

I got caught in that cold temperature drop on the ride back from picking up my bike from the 107 build. Damn lake this time of year can ruin your day in no rime flat. It was 41 when I got home. It's not the temp as much as the cold almost mist haze.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:39 PM
Second Wind
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm liking the Harley solo the more I see it. Looks good, nice bike.....

Old 03-26-2017, 05:49 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
Interesting take on things. You're the first person that I have read about liking the mono's dropped an inch in the newer larger forks. Were yours the preload adjustable ones? I have the standards in my 10 and I like them. They are stiffer than stock but they need to be. Seats are well seats... I love my mustangs and unlike others I didn't like saddleman Corbin or ultimate as well as a few harley ones I tried. I did not try the HD solo.

I got caught in that cold temperature drop on the ride back from picking up my bike from the 107 build. Damn lake this time of year can ruin your day in no rime flat. It was 41 when I got home. It's not the temp as much as the cold almost mist haze.
Ya. They're the adjustable ones. 0418-0081 is the part number.

I.wonder what they have the setting on theirs. Because these are out of the box dialed in for me. I'm 230 now. Not as lean as I'd like. But you can see some abs. Lol. I have not decided Wether I'm going to gain or cut yet. I have the premium shocks on the back. Dial half way in isn't bad at all solo. I need to back it off a bit.

My one try with Saddleman let me.know never again.

Ya. My Saturday ride ended at 40 degrees. Fortunately I left out with all my gear on. So I was ready. Just not happy about it.