Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hotter than Hell

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:08 PM
ScottyH-D
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Hotter than Hell

I removed the catalytic converter on my 2016 RGU, as previously mentioned in other threads. Other than that, it is completely stock. The bike is absolutely running much better & much cooler. However, after taking it on a 1,000 mile round trip, I can tell you, without any reservation, this bike is still uncomfortably hotter than hell when sitting or moving slowly in traffic.

My former 2011 Ultra Limited had stage 2 and was never uncomfortably hot in any situation that I can recall. I still stand by my opinion that stage 2 is unnecessary, but I was under the impression that all the heat was generated in the catalytic converter. Apparently this isn't the case.

It is time for my first oil change and have read that synthetic oil (which I used in the Limited, religiously) will help the engine run cooler, though I seriously doubt it will drop temps enough to notice a significant difference on the skin.

So, is the cure going to be slip-ons or Full exhaust, or something else? I'm trying real hard to keep it simple and cheap.. as far as performance goes, I'm very happy with the stock setup and am really enjoying the peace & quiet. I just gotta get rid of all this heat.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Temper your expectations on how much cooler synthetic oil will make it.

Look, its a 103CI combustion engine running between your legs. In Texas. Its going to be hot, I'd get used to it, there really are no magic answers here.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:31 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,930 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Temper your expectations on how much cooler synthetic oil will make it.

Look, its a 103CI combustion engine running between your legs. In Texas. Its going to be hot, I'd get used to it, there really are no magic answers here.
I agree

BUT

the synthetic will help and for my money should always be used regardless of your local temps. First time I used it way back when it came out was on my Evo, I did notice a difference in motor temperature in stop and go traffic on a hot day. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:38 PM
Tracker1
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had my 01 RK for only a year and as far as I know it is stock except for the V&H exhaust. I am amazed of how cool that thing runs in the hottest weather. I know it's only 88ci and that probably has a lot to do with it and I do run Mobile 1.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:04 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Nothing about a Harley Davidson motorcycle is ever simple or cheap!

Slip ones or an air cleaner won't help unless you also use a tuner. Without performance mods which may or may not help with heat you're pretty much left with oil coolers or cooling fans. Neither cheap or particularly easy.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:18 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Gutting my cat made a good difference. The FP3 really cooled it down. Ya. A tuner is not needed. But if you fatten it up a bit it makes a difference.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:25 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

The best bang for the buck, would be crotch coolers to divert the heat away from you. Exhaust and synthetic won't make much difference. Wards fans will blow the heat somewhat away from your crotch and thighs. A Jagg 10 row oil cooler with fan will move some heat front.

A good tune to get rid of the original EPA compliant tune will help reduce the combustion temperature. I really don't know how much.

Yeah...they get hot...and traffic sucks. Anyone honest will say the same thing about other large displacement air cooled bikes like Indian & Victory.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:50 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

My '09 (no cat) ran so hot I could not keep my right foot on the board, both at 96" and 103" with a good tune. What made the difference was swapping out the stock header for Fullsac one. Others may have different experiences...

The following users liked this post:
ScottyH-D (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:01 PM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I have a 2010 103 Limited with the factory oil cooler. Installed a tuner, a Screamin Eagle A/C, cut the cat out, performance mufflers, wrapped the head pipes under the clamp on heat shields from the heads down to the split where the left pipe turns behind the tranny with header wrap.
The heat problem finally solved by installing Love Jug cooling fans. They've been on my bike for about three years now with no problems.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:05 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
The best bang for the buck, would be crotch coolers to divert the heat away from you.
See. And I find the exact opposite to be the best. Never had them on my 08 SG but I had them on my 11 RGU. The way I see it they trap heat and then it billows out at slow speeds hitting your legs. Cooking them. I chose to not put anything on my 16 and what a difference. Let the heat escape don't trap it. I'll never bolt anything that traps heat to my bike again. There is a lot better airflow across the back of the motor without walls to keep the heat.

Sorry. Everyone's results vary. But those things are not the answer imo.

The following 3 users liked this post by RFG7680:
Campy Roadie (03-28-2017), MikeySom (06-26-2017), ScottyH-D (03-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Hotter than Hell