Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Digital gear/rpm indicator resets

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 07:32 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts
Exclamation Digital gear/rpm indicator resets

I have a 2011 Heritage that has a digital window that has 2 trip meters, miles to empty and clock, and a selection for gear/rpm. When I have selected the gear/rpm it displays correctly until the engine is turned off. When restarted it displays the digital odometer and I must toggle the switch to display the tach each time the bike is shut down. I have removed my piggyback tuner and cleaned and tighten battery cables, no change.
Anyone have this happen or experience to give me a direction to take on repairing this?
There is 16K miles on it with no other mods or additions.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't have the digital, but have the analog version. Probably wrong, but it might be designed that way, where it has a set start up position.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:01 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
I don't have the digital, but have the analog version. Probably wrong, but it might be designed that way, where it has a set start up position.
Thought that might be, but it has always stayed where it was selected until a few weeks ago. I assume there is something amiss.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

That's not by design, at least not on my 2014 Heritage something is amiss. Mine stays where I left it when I shut the bike off.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:37 AM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'd say something's off. I have a 2012 Fatboy Lo with a power vision and it doesn't do that. Stays to whatever I put it on. There's a gremlin in the system somewhere

Old 09-21-2014, 07:40 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Angry

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
Yeah I'd say something's off. I have a 2012 Fatboy Lo with a power vision and it doesn't do that. Stays to whatever I put it on. There's a gremlin in the system somewhere
That's my logic also. I am hoping someone else had this happen and can give me a direction to take.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:09 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by checkers
I have a 2011 Heritage that has a digital window that has 2 trip meters, miles to empty and clock, and a selection for gear/rpm. When I have selected the gear/rpm it displays correctly until the engine is turned off. When restarted it displays the digital odometer and I must toggle the switch to display the tach each time the bike is shut down. I have removed my piggyback tuner and cleaned and tighten battery cables, no change.
Anyone have this happen or experience to give me a direction to take on repairing this?
Any ideas on the OP?

Old 09-23-2014, 08:22 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re-boot

Originally Posted by checkers
your digital speedo is essentially a mini computer and like all computers it some times may need a "hard boot" so i would unplug the power to it and wait 30 seconds and re-plug it and see if it corrects the problem. just might work........or not, but worth a try.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Str8six
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2012 slim does the same thing when the battery is less that fully charged. For some reason my electric compression releases have stopped working and if I let the bike sit for more than a few weeks, as I have since I broke my leg, when I go to start it, it will all but stall the starter out. Whenever it does this my digital display defaults to odometer. It's probably getting time for a new, better battery.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:35 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Str8six
My 2012 slim does the same thing when the battery is less that fully charged. For some reason my electric compression releases have stopped working and if I let the bike sit for more than a few weeks, as I have since I broke my leg, when I go to start it, it will all but stall the starter out. Whenever it does this my digital display defaults to odometer. It's probably getting time for a new, better battery.
You might be on the right track: I don't think the 96B have the compression release system the 103's do. I have noticed that the motor cranks over slow momentarily more then it used to, like a low battery. The bike is a late year 2011 so battery is about 3 yrs old. The OEM batteries are usually good for about 4-5 yrs, but it does not crank like it used to.
I also noticed a second symptom: When digital tach resets to odometer after restart, when I toggle back thru display, the miles to emty read out reads LO RNG. I do have a Gremlin with something. I may try the reboot idea and then consider a battery.
May be additional ideas out there also?

Quick Reply: Digital gear/rpm indicator resets