Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A First try Finding an independent Shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:14 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A First try Finding an independent Shop

I have a 2013 Breakout and kind of like working on the bike . I do my own Service and will do a cam this winter . With that said I hate wiring and will not work on it no way . So today I call around looking for a quote from a shop I don't know any so it is all by feel . The first two do not answer the phone the last guy does answer but what an idiot . I tell him upfront I would like an idea of cost to do my handlebars as I am going to apes .
I also tell him I have a 2013 Breakout and thinking 14 inch apes . This guy mumbled to himself doing the parts lookup and give me a price just short of $200 bucks . So I ask this is for the Bars Wiring and clutch -Brake cables and labor and he said no just the bars . So I say again I am looking for a price of the handlebars installed done out the door . After this fool ask me three times what bike do you have ( in less then 90 seconds) I hang up .

Beginning to think I need to just do it myself

Old 09-22-2014, 06:33 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KEYBEAR
I have a 2013 Breakout and kind of like working on the bike . I do my own Service and will do a cam this winter . With that said I hate wiring and will not work on it no way . So today I call around looking for a quote from a shop I don't know any so it is all by feel . The first two do not answer the phone the last guy does answer but what an idiot . I tell him upfront I would like an idea of cost to do my handlebars as I am going to apes .
I also tell him I have a 2013 Breakout and thinking 14 inch apes . This guy mumbled to himself doing the parts lookup and give me a price just short of $200 bucks . So I ask this is for the Bars Wiring and clutch -Brake cables and labor and he said no just the bars . So I say again I am looking for a price of the handlebars installed done out the door . After this fool ask me three times what bike do you have ( in less then 90 seconds) I hang up .

Beginning to think I need to just do it myself
Hah! Wether I'm right or wrong, this is how I have always imagined Indy shops were. Although I've never been to one. I just don't feel safe leaving such an expensive toy with an Indy shop. On the other end of the spectrum I asked my Harley dealer for a quote for the exact same job and he quoted me 7-71/2 hours labor; I couldn't contain my laughter. I'm going to have a knowledgeable buddy help me out when my arm heals up. You might want to hit 24V up for info as he's done this job, and from what he's said, it does sound like that difficult of a job as there is no rewiring with the can bus system.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 PM
MacKenzie001
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Added apes to an '05 Fatboy, wire extensions and longer cables, internally wired and added heated grips. Took a long time to do it all, but it was pretty basic, unchallenging. Ordered the whole kit from Hill Country Customs, and everything worked perfect.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can sympathize with hating to do your own wiring. I cut and lengthened my own cables when I put on 14" apes. so take the amount of wires in there and times it by 2, that's how many solders i had to do. It sucked. Oh, and then I realized I cut the extensions about 4" too short..so I had to do it all over again!

Unless you're going to try to hide the brake and clutch cables, those are easy-peasy too (except having to remove the exhaust if needed and opening up the clutch housing cover on the side)

But it's really not that hard, and once you get a good rhythm going it goes fairly quick. Burly Brand and several others make cable kits and extensions that are pretty plug-and-play, and would cost about the same as an indy. If you can do your own cams (another easier-than-everyone-says job, in my opinion) you can do your own bars.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:43 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

KEYBEAR, your Breakout is one of the easiest bikes to do a bar swap on. You do not have to remove the connectors from the wiring. With the new can bus bikes, the connectors are small enough that they will pull right through the holes in the bars. You literally go under the tank, unplug 3 connectors, pull them out of the bars, feed them into the new bars, and plug them back in.
For 14" apes you will need extensions. The extensions come as a piggyback with a connector already on each end. It is all literally plug and play.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-breakout.html

Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM
ctluba
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

24v, you better go hide somewhere. I bet when he reads your post he is gonna try and give you big kiss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:58 AM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ctluba
24v, you better go hide somewhere. I bet when he reads your post he is gonna try and give you big kiss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do thank You (24V) for the info but no Kissing ? I will let that be an East coast thing .?

Old 09-23-2014, 08:01 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

After MANY years of looking, trial and error I have found an INDY I would leave my Grandson with!!! This guy is the BEST! He is a straight shooter, REALLY knows his stuff and people come from all around to have him work on their bikes.

I met a husband and wife team on here that lives about 60 miles away, they bring their bike all the way down just for this guy to work on. There's not allot worse than trying to find competent craftsman these days. He did my bars, all internals and it came out SO sweet!!!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:55 AM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some great Indys around, we have at least one in the Fort Worth area, Lightning Cycles in Haltom City and he is Harley Certified.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:08 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

What part of Indiana are you in?

Quick Reply: A First try Finding an independent Shop