Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A stark reminder!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I just don't get it, how can so many NOT see us?
Unfortunately, that just seems to be the way it is. Maybe a modulating headlight would help?

Old 09-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Scary stuff. Glad you and your bike are OK.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:12 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Glad you're ok. Not just cage drivers, though...

Had a guy on a HD bagger, with his little girl on the back, throw a u-turn across two lanes right in front of me. Never turned his head, never looked, just yanked it left.

Luckily, training pays off. (For the record, locking up the rear and crashing is not one of the things you learn.) Squeeeeze HARD on the front brake, and he cleared my front end by no more than a foot.

He did squeal like a little girl when he saw me almost in his left earhole, though. I think after he realized he almost got his daughter killed due to his stupidity, he'll look next time.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
He did squeal like a little girl when he saw me almost in his left earhole, though. I think after he realized he almost got his daughter killed due to his stupidity, he'll look next time.
And he NEVER will consider you could have been a distracted teen in a SUV instead of another bike. He'd of been flatter than day old beer.

Used to be once or twice a month... NOW, it seems like on almost every ride, I see something completely stupid. I've slowed down in my older years and am much more defensive. These stupid things would have been near misses twenty years ago.. Be careful.

Simple math... More cars, AND more stupid people. Bad combination.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:13 PM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

I keep thinking of adding some script inside my windshield 'eternal vigilance' as a reminder to myself.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:14 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Piloto
And he NEVER will consider you could have been a distracted teen in a SUV instead of another bike. He'd of been flatter than day old beer.

Used to be once or twice a month... NOW, it seems like on almost every ride, I see something completely stupid. I've slowed down in my older years and am much more defensive. These stupid things would have been near misses twenty years ago.. Be careful.

Simple math... More cars, AND more stupid people. Bad combination.
I really do pay attention to this "safety" stuff, and I've reached a conclusion.

It's not about the "effing cage driver" seeing us. It's not about high-viz gear and loud pipes.

We have to see them. We have to pay attention, we have to looklooklook, thinkthinkthink, whatifwhatifwhatif. And we have to have the skills to do what comes after the "what if".

It's on us. It's always on us. If they don't see us, then we have to see them.

It's on us.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Kcdcltd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really do pay attention to this "safety" stuff, and I've reached a conclusion.

It's not about the "effing cage driver" seeing us. It's not about high-viz gear and loud pipes.

We have to see them. We have to pay attention, we have to looklooklook, thinkthinkthink, whatifwhatifwhatif. And we have to have the skills to do what comes after the "what if".

It's on us.

Well said!! My new mantra!

Old 09-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree with all the comments. I've seen people do a lot of stupid crap on the road and I really don't think it crosses their minds that they may cause an accident, much less take out a rider. I've had a number of near misses and if it weren't for me being on the lookout they could have taken me out. You need to pay special attention to people on the cell phone.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:30 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Glad you came out OK! This is when you just want to get off the bike, drag them out of the car, and absolutely beat the **** out of them...and then shove there phone up there *** just so they can't text and drive either....OK Rant over!

Old 09-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

It's on us.
I've never heard it put so well. Nicely done. I agree, 100%.

Quick Reply: A stark reminder!