Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shotgun Shocks - WOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:42 PM
BigMESA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me tell you why $1250 is a great price for shotgun shocks. I'm not going to sell you on it's cool to slam the ride, adjust the height and cushion of the ride on the fly or on the go, set it up for 1 up or 2 up with the flip of a switch, or how it feels like you're riding on a cloud even on the nastiest of roads. All true, but that's not what makes it such a good deal.

The reason it's a damn good deal is because of the customer service and the way they stand behind their product. The reason I recommend them to everyone is not because it's such an awesome product, which it is, it's because of JD. Let me give you an example. I've had my SS for a little over a year and I am constantly adjusting them to different riding conditions, looks, etc... I just can't seem to leave them alone. Last week while at a dealer I was showing someone the SS and I slammed the bike all the way down. Upon getting ready to leave the dealer my shocks would not pump up, I had to ride it back to my garage as a hardtail - ouch. Got back and took a look at it and got on the phone and called JD via the # on his website and left a message. Within 10 minutes I got a phone call back and we talked about possible issues that it could be and he walked me through some things to check, this was on a Saturday mind you. I did the checks and come to find out one of the solenoids in the shock had failed not allowing the shock to enter air. Monday morning he 2nd day aired me a replacement set of shocks with pre-paid return shipping in the box. By Wednesday the bike was back in action again.

So let's recap. I got ahold of the owner of the company on a Saturday, not an answering machine with closed hours or some foreigner tech support. I got 2nd day aired a replacement shock with prepaid return shipping for the failed product. He NEVER asked me for a copy of the receipt, date of purchase, or anything that 99.9% of companies require to honor the warranty. He simply stood behind his product 100% no questions asked and replaced it free of charge, not 1 cent out of my pocket. If that's not world class customer service then I don't know what is!

So basically the way I see it is some of you have "Wal-Mart" syndrome as my brother calls it. You want to pay bottom price for some chinese product off a shelf, not for the warranty, tech support, or customer service to go along with it then bitch about it when you need it. I'm sure JD could probably sell his shocks cheaper but I don't want him to. I want his USA based business selling Made in the USA parts to prosper and be there with such outstanding service when I need shocks for my next bike or if I should need servicing in the future. Trust me, as long as he's in business he's got my business and every recommendation I can send his way.

So yea, $1250 for the best damn suspension system backed by the best damn customer support is a freaking steal.

Cheap-asses.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:50 AM
ucmitch
6th Gear
Default Yeehaa

I have ordered mine from JD now just have to wait for it to arrive

Old 10-02-2014, 04:43 AM
Jimstang
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the install and glad you like them.
I had to mess around with my switches for about two weeks until I figured out how to dial it in. Now I can hop on the bike, air it up from completely empty and set it just by sound it makes and how much time I hold the rebound switch.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:57 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
As a previous SS owner, I agree. If it had dampning, it would be everything some think it is. At stock height, 422's are just as good, and at 1/4 the cost they dont brake or malfunction. If dropping the bike and posing is your thing, 422's can not get you their. To many, that is worth the money I guess.

Congrats to the OP, he is happy and thats why we spend $$ on these bikes.
You paid $2,000 for a Shotgun Shock!

Don't be jealous.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:37 AM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I also have the SS. I love it and it really is night and day over the stock for sure. I got mine for a forum price and installed for €100 ($130-140 US)

As I also own a BMW F800GS (The Train doesnt get wet anymore), I am looking at upgrading the shocks on it.....that $1250 for the Train is looking mighty nice compared to a shock upgrade for the BMW......

Old 10-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMESA
Cheap-asses.
It seems like when anyone says anything not complementary about Shotgun Shocks someone who has invested in them feels the need to attack them.
I don't get that.

I don't understand why anyone who has invested in SS cares why anyone else hasn't invested in SS.
I would think a simple "I'm pleased with the product and very pleased with the customer support" would be enough said.

Good Lord, there's enough positive information about SS and JD's service on this forum that obviously the performance and Customer support are not the main reasons people don't buy the product.

As for "cheap-***", I don't think anyone who buys a Harley can be called a "cheap-***".

Old 10-02-2014, 09:04 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
It seems like when anyone says anything not complementary about Shotgun Shocks someone who has invested in them feels the need to attack them.
I don't get that.

I don't understand why anyone who has invested in SS cares why anyone else hasn't invested in SS.
I would think a simple "I'm pleased with the product and very pleased with the customer support" would be enough said.

Good Lord, there's enough positive information about SS and JD's service on this forum that obviously the performance and Customer support are not the main reasons people don't buy the product.

As for "cheap-***", I don't think anyone who buys a Harley can be called a "cheap-***".
People responded to you, Blue, because you came into this thread and said all SS owners are in love with product only to justify the expense.

We all know you are dead wrong.

You enjoy your suspension at stock height, as do a few others. That's great.

I prefer mine lowered about 1.25 to 1.5 inches. My Slim just looks better that way, but also rides better in that I don't feel so on top of the bike.

Looks aside, I'll try to make it simple for you. My bike lowered with the SS and a low profile seat is more comfortable than yours at stock height with a heavy billowy seat.

It rides the twisties fantastically, in that I can raise the height to stock if I want, or simply ride lowered and firm up the ride with more air pressure.

Since you have never tried the product, I could see how you'd find that hard to believe. But it's true.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 10-02-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:16 AM
pipeyeti
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Just opened mine 10 minutes ago and if the performance is anywhere near as good as people are saying these things are under priced. I have been an aircraft mech for 20 years and a bicycle shop owner ( sell lots of over price bicycle suspension parts). The quality of manufacturing visible on these is awesome. Even the foam pakaging that was designed to fit it perfectly into a usps flat rate box is great. I can't wait to get home and put it on.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I don't get that.

What I don't get is people coming in to a thread that doesn't have any type of hidden title and saying how the people in that thread are "posers" for owning what they think is the best.

Originally Posted by KumaRide
As a previous SS owner, I agree. If it had dampning, it would be everything some think it is. At stock height, 422's are just as good, and at 1/4 the cost they dont brake or malfunction. If dropping the bike and posing is your thing, 422's can not get you their. To many, that is worth the money I guess.

Congrats to the OP, he is happy and thats why we spend $$ on these bikes.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 AM
ShadyLurker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigMESA
Let me tell you why $1250 is a great price for shotgun shocks. I'm not going to sell you on it's cool to slam the ride, adjust the height and cushion of the ride on the fly or on the go, set it up for 1 up or 2 up with the flip of a switch, or how it feels like you're riding on a cloud even on the nastiest of roads. All true, but that's not what makes it such a good deal.

The reason it's a damn good deal is because of the customer service and the way they stand behind their product. The reason I recommend them to everyone is not because it's such an awesome product, which it is, it's because of JD. Let me give you an example. I've had my SS for a little over a year and I am constantly adjusting them to different riding conditions, looks, etc... I just can't seem to leave them alone. Last week while at a dealer I was showing someone the SS and I slammed the bike all the way down. Upon getting ready to leave the dealer my shocks would not pump up, I had to ride it back to my garage as a hardtail - ouch. Got back and took a look at it and got on the phone and called JD via the # on his website and left a message. Within 10 minutes I got a phone call back and we talked about possible issues that it could be and he walked me through some things to check, this was on a Saturday mind you. I did the checks and come to find out one of the solenoids in the shock had failed not allowing the shock to enter air. Monday morning he 2nd day aired me a replacement set of shocks with pre-paid return shipping in the box. By Wednesday the bike was back in action again.

So let's recap. I got ahold of the owner of the company on a Saturday, not an answering machine with closed hours or some foreigner tech support. I got 2nd day aired a replacement shock with prepaid return shipping for the failed product. He NEVER asked me for a copy of the receipt, date of purchase, or anything that 99.9% of companies require to honor the warranty. He simply stood behind his product 100% no questions asked and replaced it free of charge, not 1 cent out of my pocket. If that's not world class customer service then I don't know what is!

So basically the way I see it is some of you have "Wal-Mart" syndrome as my brother calls it. You want to pay bottom price for some chinese product off a shelf, not for the warranty, tech support, or customer service to go along with it then bitch about it when you need it. I'm sure JD could probably sell his shocks cheaper but I don't want him to. I want his USA based business selling Made in the USA parts to prosper and be there with such outstanding service when I need shocks for my next bike or if I should need servicing in the future. Trust me, as long as he's in business he's got my business and every recommendation I can send his way.

So yea, $1250 for the best damn suspension system backed by the best damn customer support is a freaking steal.

Cheap-asses.
Literally just got off the phone with JD. Price is 1200 shipped right now. I gave him 1250 to expedite it for me. He seems like a straight guy. Can't wait to install minez!

Quick Reply: Shotgun Shocks - WOW