Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting the chrome swing arm project...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting the chrome swing arm project...

...and stripped the first bolt, but this time got it out by myself. A few questions have come up:
The left sided swing arm bolt nut is too big for a 7/8" wrench and too small for a 15/16". That only leaves metric and as best I can guess, it must be a 23mm. Is that right?

If you look at the service manual, it implies that you have to remove the banjo bolt that holds on the brake line on. I didn't do that on the front fork. I just took the bolts off the fork and hung the caliper from the handlebar with a bungee cord. Is there some reason I can't do that in the rear as well?

Finally (not really, just until I get confused again), is there a reason I can't use the impact wrench on the other end of the swing arm bolt, as everybody has said how tight that nut is? Also, is the nut end also a 23mm? If so, I've got to buy some more tools.

Any random advice appreciated.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 AM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

No swing arm changeout veterans out there?

Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 AM
jm35ny
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It doesn't doesn't seem overly complicated but I`ve never done it. Maybe stop into the HD where you purchased it from and ask for some pointers. Good luck with the swap

Old 01-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselvol
No swing arm changeout veterans out there?
Haven't changed one out myself but having been reading up on it quite a bit lately because I have a feeling that I will need to replace my drive belt sooner or later, at which point I may pull off the swing arm to make some minor mods to it and give it a fresh powder coat.

I've had lots of luck just asking the dealership about proper tool sizes. I had the same issue you did when I first removed my rear wheel. I couldn't figure for the life of me what size socket to use. I regularly ask about tools and techniques.

As for impact guns?

I've read a lot of posts by folks who use them due to high torque applications even though the owner's manual warns against using them. In each case that I've come across, I've been able to loosen things up with just a breaker bar and the correct socket. This has been true for the wheels, the stator bolt and a few others high torque applications on my Springer. I've felt comfortable knowing that I didn't have to resort to a method not approved in my owner's manual. Some of the warning's I've read in my book concern the effects of an impact gun stressing and possibly breaking surrounding parts of the motorcycle.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Bigman405
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselvol
...and stripped the first bolt, but this time got it out by myself. A few questions have come up:
The left sided swing arm bolt nut is too big for a 7/8" wrench and too small for a 15/16". That only leaves metric and as best I can guess, it must be a 23mm. Is that right?

If you look at the service manual, it implies that you have to remove the banjo bolt that holds on the brake line on. I didn't do that on the front fork. I just took the bolts off the fork and hung the caliper from the handlebar with a bungee cord. Is there some reason I can't do that in the rear as well?

Finally (not really, just until I get confused again), is there a reason I can't use the impact wrench on the other end of the swing arm bolt, as everybody has said how tight that nut is? Also, is the nut end also a 23mm? If so, I've got to buy some more tools.

Any random advice appreciated.
I just put my chrome swing arm on my 2011 deluxe this past weekend. My pivot bolts I used a 15/16 wrench on both ends. I didn't use an impact. It came loose pretty easy. As for the banjo bolt I didn't have to take it off. I just removed the caliper off and I sat it on a wash bucket I had that was the perfect height. But you can bungee it if you like too. Once you take the brake line off you have to bleed it so I left mine alone. Hope this helps.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Bigman405
Road Master

My manual said my pivot bolt torque is 90-110 ft. Lbs. so I torqued it 100 ft. Lbs.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bigman405
I just put my chrome swing arm on my 2011 deluxe this past weekend. My pivot bolts I used a 15/16 wrench on both ends. I didn't use an impact. It came loose pretty easy. As for the banjo bolt I didn't have to take it off. I just removed the caliper off and I sat it on a wash bucket I had that was the perfect height. But you can bungee it if you like too. Once you take the brake line off you have to bleed it so I left mine alone. Hope this helps.
That helps a ton! The brake thing was a possible deal breaker for me. I'm going to go get a 23mm wrench and socket, just in case. I'm not looking to add to my rounded nut removal experience. My dealer first said 5/8" then said 1 1/16", so it's anybody's guess. I know on mine that 7/8" is too small and 15/16" is too big. Not much in between. Will update as to what I find.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:09 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bigman405
My manual said my pivot bolt torque is 90-110 ft. Lbs. so I torqued it 100 ft. Lbs.
Yeah, I always hit the middle too.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Haven't changed one out myself but having been reading up on it quite a bit lately because I have a feeling that I will need to replace my drive belt sooner or later, at which point I may pull off the swing arm to make some minor mods to it and give it a fresh powder coat.

I've had lots of luck just asking the dealership about proper tool sizes. I had the same issue you did when I first removed my rear wheel. I couldn't figure for the life of me what size socket to use. I regularly ask about tools and techniques.

As for impact guns?

I've read a lot of posts by folks who use them due to high torque applications even though the owner's manual warns against using them. In each case that I've come across, I've been able to loosen things up with just a breaker bar and the correct socket. This has been true for the wheels, the stator bolt and a few others high torque applications on my Springer. I've felt comfortable knowing that I didn't have to resort to a method not approved in my owner's manual. Some of the warning's I've read in my book concern the effects of an impact gun stressing and possibly breaking surrounding parts of the motorcycle.
Will go impact third line after PB Blaster and heat.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:33 PM
Bigman405
Road Master

Here's two pictures ill upload more when i get home. Im at work right now.

Attached Thumbnails Starting the chrome swing arm project...-20150109_182054.jpg   Starting the chrome swing arm project...-20150109_191938.jpg  

Quick Reply: Starting the chrome swing arm project...