Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Syn3 in all three.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:45 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Syn3 in all three.

My bike (08 FXSTC) has had all of it's oil services done by me using Syn3 in all three. All services were done on time. At around 48k I started having issues with my clutch and no adjustment would fix. So since my bike has the ESC I took it in to have the clutch looked at as well as gaskets replaced at the bottom of each jug. (There was slight seepage).

Well once they took the jugs off and poked around a bit they discovered that the crank was worn, then they discovered the flywheel had play and the discoveries went on and on. Before I knew it the engine needed a rebuild, trany needed to be rebuilt, the entire clutch assembly needed a rebuild etc..

So since all this needed to be done I purchased the stageII 103 w/ 255 cams and Hi-Vol oil pump along with some other bits and bobs.

Now I have my bike back and I'm 100 miles into the break in.

I'm sitting here asking myself why the engine was so worn and in need of a rebuild at 48k? Could it be that the Syn3 is the culprit? I think when I hit my 1000 mile service (on my 48k bike lol) that I will really consider changing over to another brand of synthetic oil.

Oh and it doesn't help that when I brought my bike home after riding 100 miles on it that I found my engine oil to be so low that it doesn't read on the dipstick. When picking my bike up I should have checked but I failed to till the following day but by that time I was already clocked in at 100 miles ridden.

I'm still a bit shocked that they didn't fill up the oil all the way. wtf. Rebuild engine and then follow it up with excessive engine wear due to lack of oil.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:00 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

There must be loads of owners running Syn-3 in all three holes without issues, so I'd be looking elsewhere for the root cause.

How confident are you that the oil and filter were actually changed when you had it done by whoever you have do this?

Old 01-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,470 Likes on 5,664 Posts

Darn... That sucks. I'll have to subscribe to this one.

Syn3 is good stuff. It's right up there with Amsoil. Mobil 1 v-twin comes in a close third. I'll be interested in hearing more info on what happened. Did the shop have any ideas? Have they seen this before??? I seriously doubt Syn3 was the issue... Where did you buy the Syn3???

If you don't mind, how much was the re-build?

Last edited by Piloto; 01-25-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:06 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,342 Likes on 11,167 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
How confident are you that the oil and filter were actually changed when you had it done by whoever you have do this?
From the Oap: My bike (08 FXSTC) has had all of it's oil services done by me using Syn3 in all three. All services were done on time.

So, how confident is he in himself?

Very peculiar though that the dealer didn't fill the hole after the rebuild. I would have taken the bike right back to the dealer as it was.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:10 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

From the Oap: My bike (08 FXSTC) has had all of it's oil services done by me using Syn3 in all three. All services were done on time.

So, how confident is he in himself?

Very peculiar though that the dealer didn't fill the hole after the rebuild. I would have taken the bike right back to the dealer as it was.
Ooops, missed that.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:28 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

Yeah since the motor was completely rebuilt they had to add oil when completed. I can see oil in the tank but it's below the stick when inserted. I called the dealer this morning and my service writer seems a bit shocked that it is so low on oil. Other than that he didn't have much to say but I'm heading over there in a bit because I want him to add a comment in their system on my bike that the oil was low and not reading on stick two days after bringing it home. They warranty their work for 1 year.

As for the cost to do this work I'd have to break it down but the total cost for everything was $8,258.17

Now before you go into shock let me break it down:
These prices include parts and labor:
Engine rebuild: $4243.84
Trans rebuild: $2816.70
103 kit w/ 255 cams $1744.94
I also had the front headlight and rear tail light replaced due to issues and some cables replaced as well as a few other bits and bobs which gave me the grand total of $8,258.17.

Now out of all that I paid $1480. out of my pocket and that was for the stage II 103 and SE255 cams. As well as the difference to upgrade the fuel pump to a hi-volume pump and cam plate support.

So my Extended service contract paid: $6775.88 and I paid $1482.29.

Not a bad deal all told.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:54 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

That sure is a good deal.

Now you're still faced with the root cause, which will be impossible to bottom out, and how that plays a role in your choice of oil.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,470 Likes on 5,664 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteNoise
So my Extended service contract paid: $6775.88 and I paid $1482.29.

Not a bad deal all told.
True... And to think I did NOT get the extended service because we're supposed to be getting 75k-100k+ out of these twinkies, right?

Old 01-25-2015, 03:10 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 1004ron
That sure is a good deal.

Now you're still faced with the root cause, which will be impossible to bottom out, and how that plays a role in your choice of oil.
^This. I asked them what could have caused the excessive wear and they said they aren't sure. Maybe the bike was driven hard? Maybe it's a fluke? They actually came to the conclusion that it's pretty normal wear but not common?

I don't know how to take a comment like that. lol

I can say that I don't ride this bike hard. I've never had it past 90 mph and I treat it well because I love this bike and it means a lot to me. There is a connection and I treat the bike well in hopes of having it for years and years to come. I ride it but I don't abuse it.

That's why I started wondering if the oil I use could have added to the cause of this issue. I've owned many bikes over the years but this is the first bike I have used synthetic oil in and using 20/50 in all three holes has me wondering if I should be using a different oil in the primary and trans.

I have time to do research before my 1000 mile service (in about 2 weeks) so I hope to have arrived at a decision by that point.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:22 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Piloto
True... And to think I did NOT get the extended service because we're supposed to be getting 75k-100k+ out of these twinkies, right?
My last three vehicles I have paid for the ESC and one (Buick Rainier) didn't need a thing until after the contract ran out. So waste of money on that one.

My wife's SUV (Infiniti FX35) we paid around $1300 for a 3 year plan and on the 3rd year we had to have the sub frame replaced along with some other things that ran over 5K and was paid for by the ESC. Worth it that time.

My harley I paid right around $1400 for a 3 year contract and within the first year the rear wheel bearing went out, entire wheel had to be replaced for $1200+ paid for by ESC. I had a couple other small issues that were covered. Forget how much they cost but at this point the total work done (wheel and these other issues) brought the total cost over $1500. So at that point the ESC already paid for itself and now with this rebuild that is another $6000+ covered.

To top it off you get a free loaner of your choice to ride while your bike is in the shop; covered by ESC.

I've had as a loaner: 2012 Fat Boy Lo, 2012 Electra glide, 2014 Street Glide custom, 2014 Road King, and 2014 Street Glide standard. Rental fees alone would be thousands of dollars if not for the ESC.

So yes I'm a believer and will always purchase them going forward.

Quick Reply: Syn3 in all three.