Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Syn3 in all three.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteNoise
My bike (08 FXSTC) has had all of it's oil services done by me using Syn3 in all three. All services were done on time. At around 48k I started having issues with my clutch and no adjustment would fix. So since my bike has the ESC I took it in to have the clutch looked at as well as gaskets replaced at the bottom of each jug. (There was slight seepage).

Well once they took the jugs off and poked around a bit they discovered that the crank was worn, then they discovered the flywheel had play and the discoveries went on and on. Before I knew it the engine needed a rebuild, trany needed to be rebuilt, the entire clutch assembly needed a rebuild etc..

So since all this needed to be done I purchased the stageII 103 w/ 255 cams and Hi-Vol oil pump along with some other bits and bobs.

Now I have my bike back and I'm 100 miles into the break in.

I'm sitting here asking myself why the engine was so worn and in need of a rebuild at 48k? Could it be that the Syn3 is the culprit? I think when I hit my 1000 mile service (on my 48k bike lol) that I will really consider changing over to another brand of synthetic oil.

Oh and it doesn't help that when I brought my bike home after riding 100 miles on it that I found my engine oil to be so low that it doesn't read on the dipstick. When picking my bike up I should have checked but I failed to till the following day but by that time I was already clocked in at 100 miles ridden.

I'm still a bit shocked that they didn't fill up the oil all the way. wtf. Rebuild engine and then follow it up with excessive engine wear due to lack of oil.

Real sorry to hear about your troubles. I've been running Syn3 in all three holes of my 08 Bones and so far no issues to speak of...

63K miles and counting.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:04 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

I wouldn't use Syn3 period.

I switched to it in my 02 Road King about a year after Syn3 came out. My trans shifted much harder.

For years now I've run Amsoil in the engine, Mobile 1 in the Trans, and regular Primary oil in the primary. I don't see any justification for using synthetic oil in the primary. It lubes a chain and some clutch plates, not rocket surgery.

I just now doing the 1k service in my Fatboy Lo and plan to use the factory HD stuff in all 3 holes. At 3500 miles, I'll switch to the above setup.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:43 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry to hear about all that trouble.. But since you got all that work done for that price ,well good for you and good luck with your bike...
As for your question about oil and all 3 holes Amzoil and mobil 1 are about the top oils for your motor. If amzoil is hard for you to get they sell mobil one v twin 20/50 at auto zone.. About tranny and primary, spectro and bell ray make a primary oil and a big twin tranny oil that are very good. you could buy it on line, I do. Hope that helps.......swifty

Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 563 Likes on 313 Posts

If you add up the ESC of $1482.29 plus your deductible $1480 plus the cost of the bike when you bought it new, Id say where is the good deal you speak of? You should have gotten twice the mileage out of that motor.
I feel there is more to this story.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:53 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I run syn in all 3 also but the engine gets motor oil and the tranny gets gear lube. I only use Amsoil 20/50 in motor and primary, 75/90 in the tranny.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:31 AM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
If you add up the ESC of $1482.29 plus your deductible $1480 plus the cost of the bike when you bought it new, Id say where is the good deal you speak of? You should have gotten twice the mileage out of that motor.
I feel there is more to this story.
I'm not sure I follow you here. Add up the ESC of $1482.29? Plus my deductable of $1480?

Can you explain what you mean? I didn't pay a deductable at all. The $1480 was items I purchased myself to have installed on my bike that wouldn't have been covered. These items were not needed. I wanted to upgrade to the 103 and 255 cams plus hi-vol. oil pump plus a few other bits.

If I would not have upgraded to the 103 then I wouldn't have paid a cent.

I figured since the engine was being rebuilt I may as well purchase the 103 and kit. Had nothing at all to do with my ESC. Was done outside of it.

I agree and was in shock when they told me all this other work needed to be done. But my bike was already torn apart. I asked them why this was needed and I explained how the bike was running so good other than the clutch. In fact the trany shifted perfectly, smoothly and the engine ran great. I had absolutely no issues when I rode the bike into their shop other than a clutch that would not adjust properly. They just said that the crank was worn, that my flywheel had spun, that some shaft was missing a tooth etc etc..stuff that sounded legit to me anyway.

I've already explained how much I paid for the ESC and all of the work I've had done on the bike over the past couple of years that was covered. My initial purchase price for the ESC had paid for itself long before I went in recently and had all this work done.

Hell the dealer didn't even ask me. I went in one day to get a update because they never return my calls (shop is super busy and suck at answering the phone and returning calls) and when I arrived he said, don't cry but come see your bike.

When I walked up to it it was completely torn apart. I was like WTF is going on? Thats when they told me the engine needed a full rebuild.

Let me tell you I wasn't happy about all this. I was pissed because I had expected my bike back in a couple of days.

This process ultimately took over 4 MONTHS! Why? I have no idea. Most likely due to them fighting with the ESC if I were to guess.

It sucked. But I was kinda in a bind. So I waited and now I have my bike back.

Did it really need a complete rebuild? How in the hell would I know? I'm not a mechanic and have to trust those that are.

Anyways...Thanks to those that responded about the oils they use. It makes me feel better knowing that this is not considered normal by any means. In fact I'm starting to think more and more that the dealer padded this.

Last edited by WhiteNoise; 01-27-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Hats off to you, WhiteNoise. People here have dished out some tough stuff, and you've taken it in stride and stayed reasonable.
Plus, you've got an exceptionally nice-lookin' scoot.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:33 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

I'm sure the dealer saw in the system that the bike had the ESC via the VIN. They might have figure they would get some work and you'd get a new engine. Now you should be good to go for at least 100k miles with proper maintenance (and staying away from Syn3).

Old 01-27-2015, 07:23 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike
I'm sure the dealer saw in the system that the bike had the ESC via the VIN. They might have figure they would get some work and you'd get a new engine. Now you should be good to go for at least 100k miles with proper maintenance (and staying away from Syn3).
And avoid the stealer too.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:00 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Hats off to you, WhiteNoise. People here have dished out some tough stuff, and you've taken it in stride and stayed reasonable.
Plus, you've got an exceptionally nice-lookin' scoot.
Thanks man.

Originally Posted by BigMike
Yeah they knew I had the ESC because it was the first thing out of my mouth after explaining my clutch issue. I needed to get a loaner while they worked on my bike.

Quick Reply: Syn3 in all three.