Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Cam Support Plate & High Volume Oil Pump Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:27 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I think you are wasting good money buying a cam support plate and oil pump for your 2014 bike. There is nothing wrong with the stock ones in it already.

Use that saved money on something that will make a difference like a dyno tune or headwork.

The following users liked this post:
pilecall (04-25-2021)
Old 01-27-2015, 02:49 PM
elecwiz1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the 204 cam in my 13 street glide last winter, needed or not, I put all the extra goodies in. I haven't had any issues at all. Not saying you would with stock parts. Really it's up to you and your budget. I like the quality parts better, I feel better about having put them in. That said, make sure they get your idle bumped up a little. There is no "canned" tune for a 103 with a 204 cam. They kept trying to lower the idle and it would stall. Bump idle up a little and run it a little rich, you'll be really happy with what your butt dyno tells you. You can feel this cam come in but, if you want to cruise easy, you can get some mileage as well.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:57 PM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by elecwiz1
Put the 204 cam in my 13 street glide last winter, needed or not, I put all the extra goodies in. I haven't had any issues at all. Not saying you would with stock parts. Really it's up to you and your budget. I like the quality parts better, I feel better about having put them in. That said, make sure they get your idle bumped up a little. There is no "canned" tune for a 103 with a 204 cam. They kept trying to lower the idle and it would stall. Bump idle up a little and run it a little rich, you'll be really happy with what your butt dyno tells you. You can feel this cam come in but, if you want to cruise easy, you can get some mileage as well.

Can understand your point of view, similar to mine.
Thanks for the hint!
As far as you know stock cam support plate is made of cast iron or aluminium?

Uscanuck, dyno is what I plan after cams, no doubts about it!

Old 01-27-2015, 03:12 PM
elecwiz1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this will help you a little. It's what they ended up with last winter. I think the stock plate is cast, I cant remember. It's in a box in my garage

Last edited by elecwiz1; 01-27-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:23 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've performed this upgrade on both my 88's however, at face value I see no need for the parts swap on a 2014. Before spending the bucks install an oil pressure gauge to collect accurate data. If you experience low oil pressure at idle when the bike is hot I would then agree with an upgraded pump. If changing cams, absolutely install new cam bearings. Perform the cam change using adjustable pushrods leaving the upper valve chain untouched. Unless you are a rider that pushes his bike close to red-line, SE lifters are not necessary.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

You are better served saving that money for something else. You're not going crazy with your build by doing cams, and if you ever bump up displacement or do headwork, you'll still be fine with the stock components.

I can assure you there are other areas in that engine that could benefit from $400-500 before the cam support plate and oil pump need attention.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain

Originally Posted by elecwiz1

Maybe this will help you a little. It's what they ended up with last winter. I think the stock plate is cast, I cant remember. It's in a box in my garage

Thanks! The dyno results are really interesting!

Old 01-27-2015, 04:06 PM
usmcbuck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good cam to be not so intrusive on your valve springs, sounds great and will move a bike.

This is the map out of the SE Pro Tuner

1690 Stage 2 w/SE-204 cams....... 9.7 comp........ O.E. or Perf Heads........ O.E. throttle body.... 3.9 gm/sec Injector ... 358SCV002

Last edited by usmcbuck; 01-27-2015 at 04:22 PM. Reason: add tune info
Old 01-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the cam plate and oil pump in mine when I changed my cams. Mainly because I kept reading about in the tc's they were idled up for a couple reasons.... 1. for oil pressure and 2. for the efi.... I do not regret it. It provided an increased amount of oil pressure so i know there is more flow, and oil is the life blood of these engines.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:45 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
I did the cam plate and oil pump in mine when I changed my cams. Mainly because I kept reading about in the tc's they were idled up for a couple reasons.... 1. for oil pressure and 2. for the efi.... I do not regret it. It provided an increased amount of oil pressure so i know there is more flow, and oil is the life blood of these engines.

I totally agree with you. Same reasons why I was considering this (expensive) mod while installing 204 cams. This thread is getting interesting. There's nearly a fifty-fifty opinion, more or less half of the people said it's a good mod while the other half said is nearly useless on newer models and to save the money for smarter mods. Hope other users will chime in...

Quick Reply: SE Cam Support Plate & High Volume Oil Pump Upgrade