Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Cam Support Plate & High Volume Oil Pump Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 02:12 AM
Kiwirob
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock cam plate & oil pump are more than adequate for what you want. You only need to change the inner cam bearings.
SE or after-market cam plates & pumps are not required for the majority of street built engines & are made to separate you from you $$$. - Rob

Old 01-29-2015, 04:46 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
I am doing this to my 05 Fat Boy in about 2 weeks. I don't think the SE plate will work with your bike. You have to use special cams with the plate plus you would be doing a downgrade on the chains. Yes the SE plate comes with a new outer roller chain but you have to use your silent cam chain..your motor has roller chains for both. Just put in a new oil pump or differnt pump spring if you want more oil flow. Remember HD works on oil flow not pressure like a car engine
Scudda keep us posted on this. I am going to be doing the same to my 06 soon. My understanding of cam plates is that some come with a replaceable bearing the cams ride on but others ride on the plate itself. Any feedback on this?

Old 01-29-2015, 05:37 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There are two HD kits, one bikes till '06 (25284-11) and another one (25282-11) for '07 and newer. Kit for older bikes has the hydraulic cam tensioner upgrade. Also the Cam Support Plate part number changes, 25400018 for older and 25400019 for newer.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 471 Likes on 251 Posts

I installed SE255's in my 2011 Fat Boy Lo, reused the stock support plate and oil pump. I don't see upgrading the support plate and pump as a necessary thing to do when upgrading cams. The most important thing is to upgrade the inner cam bearings, when you get the old ones out you will see why, there is a world of difference between the bearings.

I just want to throw this out there: a high volume oil pump is a larger displacement oil pump it is designed to move more oil at standard pressures. A high pressure oil pump is designed to increase the pressure at which the oil is running through the engine, this is usually accomplished through a "stiffer" relief valve spring. A high pressure/volume oil pump is a larger displacement pump with a higher relief pressure. Most mild street builds are just fine with the stock pump. A high volume pump's purpose is to insure adequate lubrication with increased clearances and/or increased demands like a oil cooler or remote filer. An old engine builder told me that he used high volume pumps on his builds because he thought it was a good idea to have more volume flowing as the engine wears. A high volume pump is like a good insurance policy, its there if you need it.

Bottom line: If money is not an issue then go for it, you're not going to hurt anything by upgrading those parts. The 204's are a very mild cam and I can't possibly see where you could have an issue with the stock support plate as long as everything is installed properly. The 2007's and up seem to be "better built" engines than their stock predecessors so Harley seems to be correcting their short comings.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
I installed SE255's in my 2011 Fat Boy Lo, reused the stock support plate and oil pump. I don't see upgrading the support plate and pump as a necessary thing to do when upgrading cams. The most important thing is to upgrade the inner cam bearings, when you get the old ones out you will see why, there is a world of difference between the bearings.

I just want to throw this out there: a high volume oil pump is a larger displacement oil pump it is designed to move more oil at standard pressures. A high pressure oil pump is designed to increase the pressure at which the oil is running through the engine, this is usually accomplished through a "stiffer" relief valve spring. A high pressure/volume oil pump is a larger displacement pump with a higher relief pressure. Most mild street builds are just fine with the stock pump. A high volume pump's purpose is to insure adequate lubrication with increased clearances and/or increased demands like a oil cooler or remote filer. An old engine builder told me that he used high volume pumps on his builds because he thought it was a good idea to have more volume flowing as the engine wears. A high volume pump is like a good insurance policy, its there if you need it.

Bottom line: If money is not an issue then go for it, you're not going to hurt anything by upgrading those parts. The 204's are a very mild cam and I can't possibly see where you could have an issue with the stock support plate as long as everything is installed properly. The 2007's and up seem to be "better built" engines than their stock predecessors so Harley seems to be correcting their short comings.

I agree with you, this Cam Plate and Oil Pump upgrade is not a "must", just simply curious to understand if it'd "better". At this point another question comes to my mind. If stock Cam Plate is adequate to the engine, let's say upgraded with stage 2, would it be possible to install only the Hi-Volume Oil Pump? I checked and this part is available for sale at much cheaper price (about $130) if compared to the entire kit ($430). Would it be a wise upgrade at a reasonable price? Does the SE Billet Cam Support Plate have bigger internal bores for oil flow or the only difference is the material? Consider that I live in a city where summer temps are usually high and remaning stuck in a traffic jam is normal.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,213 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by atrox88
Scudda keep us posted on this. I am going to be doing the same to my 06 soon. My understanding of cam plates is that some come with a replaceable bearing the cams ride on but others ride on the plate itself. Any feedback on this?
The SE plate uses bearings for the cams to ride in. The 07 and newer plates the cams ride in the plate itself

Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostradamus74
I agree with you, this Cam Plate and Oil Pump upgrade is not a "must", just simply curious to understand if it'd "better". At this point another question comes to my mind. If stock Cam Plate is adequate to the engine, let's say upgraded with stage 2, would it be possible to install only the Hi-Volume Oil Pump? I checked and this part is available for sale at much cheaper price (about $130) if compared to the entire kit ($430). Would it be a wise upgrade at a reasonable price? Does the SE Billet Cam Support Plate have bigger internal bores for oil flow or the only difference is the material? Consider that I live in a city where summer temps are usually high and remaning stuck in a traffic jam is normal.
It's your money but I doubt there is anything different between the SE Hi volume oil pump and the one that's already in your bike. But it might have Screaming Eagle inscribed on it if that's worth $130 to you.
Pretty sure HD use the same cast cam support plates that's in your 103" in the 110" and 120R engines as well so it should be good enough for any mods you want to do.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostradamus74
Good day guys.
Need your opinion and experience on the Cam Support Plate and High-Volume Oil Pump upgrade for newer models equipped with 103ci engine.
Encountered this dilemma while studying a cam upgrade for my 2014 Breakout.
Planning to install SE-204 bolt-in cams and was considering all those upgrades which are considered "best practice" to do, though not requested, such as bearings, pushrods, clutch spring, etc.
Now, I know on older models it was a "best practice" to install the SE hydraulic cam chain tensioner and high flow oil pump to prevent the issues many HD owners experienced with expensive failures.
What about newer models?
Heard some owners complaining about the stock cam support plate due to the material and recommended the SE upgrade kit (p.n. 25282-11) also 'cause of the high volume oil pump which in their opinion would reduce engine noise, oil temp, increase psi, etc...
Would really appreciate your help.
I installed the plate with hyd tensioners on my 02 Road King for the reasons you mentioned. You will not get increased psi, nor do you want it. You will get a higher oil capacity in the cam plate and pump which means instead of your crank dragging through excess oil volume in the pan, that volume will be held in the pump and cam plate. To my knowledge that it the only advantage of the "high capacity" part. For an '02 twin cam, the set up offers other mechanical improvements you already mentioned. I also replaced the Chinese cam bearings with high quality cam bearings whilst I was in the cam chest. Keep inquiring and ignore the disrespectful replies. It's a valid question and you deserve an informed answer. I can't speak so much for the newer model engines as I am riding an antique.... This is my first log on up here in years and I just couldn't resist hitting your question.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:07 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain

Originally Posted by uscanuck
It's your money but I doubt there is anything different between the SE Hi volume oil pump and the one that's already in your bike. But it might have Screaming Eagle inscribed on it if that's worth $130 to you.
Pretty sure HD use the same cast cam support plates that's in your 103" in the 110" and 120R engines as well so it should be good enough for any mods you want to do.
Couldn't care less of the SE logo inscribed on the High-Volume Oil Pump, just wishing to learn and understand not only in a superficial way, nor wasting money.
SE120R engine has the High-Volume Oil Pump as stock and that's something to think about. Regarding the Cam Support Plate it might not be necessary, I agree. I also think there are a few stats on this parts failure on newer models simply because they're new and not many miles on them too. The reason why I started this thread was because a reliable mechanic and a dyno tuner recommended this mod. Just wished to go deeper and cross check these info.

Originally Posted by Kbore
I installed the plate with hyd tensioners on my 02 Road King for the reasons you mentioned. You will not get increased psi, nor do you want it. You will get a higher oil capacity in the cam plate and pump which means instead of your crank dragging through excess oil volume in the pan, that volume will be held in the pump and cam plate. To my knowledge that it the only advantage of the "high capacity" part. For an '02 twin cam, the set up offers other mechanical improvements you already mentioned. I also replaced the Chinese cam bearings with high quality cam bearings whilst I was in the cam chest. Keep inquiring and ignore the disrespectful replies. It's a valid question and you deserve an informed answer. I can't speak so much for the newer model engines as I am riding an antique.... This is my first log on up here in years and I just couldn't resist hitting your question.
Thank you very much Kbore and glad you posted your reply to this thread after a long time. Studying these kind of mods/upgrade to me is important, being related with the longevity of the engine. A forum is not only a place to show the new powdercoated struts or the 14' apehanger.
I'm not an expert nor a tech-skilled rider but before deciding whether to go for a mod or not, just wish to learn and understand. From your reply I realize you perfectly understood my point of view. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:15 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 471 Likes on 251 Posts

Don't know if you have tried this but there is a link in the general chat area in the stickies for a site where you can use actual HD parts catalogs. You may try to look up your stock oil pump and check the number compared to the screaming eagle part number.

Quick Reply: SE Cam Support Plate & High Volume Oil Pump Upgrade