Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me your 14" Carlini Flying Apes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:16 PM
moefoties
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Show me your 14" Carlini Flying Apes

I've spent a lot of time trying to decide which bars to go with for my '05 Deluxe. I've gone back and forth between Wild1 10" mini apes, Wild1 12" apes, and everything of the Carlini variety. I went in to a local custom bike shop yesterday and the owner was nice enough talk with me at length about my options. After sitting on his bagger that has 12" Yaffe Bagger Apes, and given the fact that I'm 5'11", the guy insisted I'd regret going with anything less than 14". I've never really been an "ape-hanger guy", so I'm a little worried about going as high as 14". When I told him I was leaning toward the Carlini Flying Apes he though the 14" bars would be perfect for me since they run about an inch-and-a-half taller than advertised. So I think I've settled on 14" Flying apes with the 1-1/2" Wild1 risers. Before placing the order I was hoping to see some photos of these bars on a Deluxe and get some input on people's height and how comfortable they find these bars (photos with you on the bike are preferable so I can see the height of your arms). Also, if anyone has input on the cable lengths I'll need, I'd love to hear it. Wild1 is great about telling people what cables they'll need for their bars, but unfortunately Carlini isn't. Thanks in advance for the input.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:12 PM
moefoties
Cruiser

Nobody?? Okay, how about some 12" Flying Apes??

Old 02-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Scootluver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moefoties
Nobody?? Okay, how about some 12" Flying Apes??
At 5'11 your better off rocking 16" flying apes bro. I'm about 5'6 and have 14" carlini flying apes on my deluxe

Old 02-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Scootluver
Cruiser

Here I am with 14's at 5/6 bro. Like I said, at your height, minimum 16's

The following users liked this post:
F107 (12-29-2023)
Old 02-24-2015, 11:42 AM
moefoties
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Scootluver
At 5'11 your better off rocking 16" flying apes bro. I'm about 5'6 and have 14" carlini flying apes on my deluxe
Weird man...I just sent you a PM after seeing one of your other posts...had no idea you posted to this thread. Really looking forward to your input. Thanks again...I know it can be a pain answering a bunch of questions.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Scootluver
Cruiser

Weird man...I just sent you a PM after seeing one of your other posts...had no idea you posted to this thread. Really looking forward to your input. Thanks again...I know it can be a pain answering a bunch of questions.

No worries bro, that's what this forum is here for. Here is exactly what u need. This is my buddy who is at 6 feet. Rocking 16" Carlini flying apes at 1.5 width and sitting on a bare bones seat. I hope this helps to gauge where the handles will be in relation to your shoulders

Old 02-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootluver

Here I am with 14's at 5/6 bro. Like I said, at your height, minimum 16's

Dude, your bike is sick! I love those bars; almost makes me wish I went with the flying apes instead of the gangsters...

Old 02-24-2015, 08:51 PM
brockND
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as cables go: if its winter project and you have time to get the bars first, mount them, and then zip tie some rope or something along your exiting cables and run it where it needs to be is the best way to get it right. With the bikei have now i did it in the middle of summer and didnt want the down time so i was lazy and ordered the bars and risers and then just ordered a burly cable kit. I have the 14" gangser 1.5" D and i took a slightly educated shot in the dark and went with the 16" burly calbe kit. worked out pretty decent. i dont think a 14" kit would have made it.

scootluver your bike is sick. thats where my mind was when i was buying the bike i have now but something about the slim pulled me in.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:41 PM
moefoties
Cruiser

My biggest worry at this point is the 41.5" width of the 1.5" bars...as opposed to the 34.5" width of the 1.25" bars. When I grab a tape-measure and hold it at 41.5" wide, it seems a bit ridiculous. For those of you who have the 1.5" bars, what do you think about the width? Is it comfortable...did it take some getting used to?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:39 PM
brockND
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest worry at this point is the 41.5" width of the 1.5" bars...as opposed to the 34.5" width of the 1.25" bars. When I grab a tape-measure and hold it at 41.5" wide, it seems a bit ridiculous. For those of you who have the 1.5" bars, what do you think about the width? Is it comfortable...did it take some getting used to?
Not sure if that question was dirrected at someone in particular but ill take a swing(I believe the flying and gangsters are same width). I didnt have any problem with the width but i think i have a longer than average wing span and im a wider frame person. depends on your build and how you stack up on it.

Quick Reply: Show me your 14" Carlini Flying Apes