Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front signal mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:43 PM
rantsc
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front signal mounts

Recently picked up a '07 Fatboy; beautiful, well done bike. Previous owner installed chrome grips, switch & switch housing, and braided cables. Looks good other than the stock mounts for the front turn signals; appears Harley put little thought into these. I'm not interested in relocating the signals, just replacing the mounts with something more substantial. I've come across the following options from Harley; was wondering if anyone had experience with either.

Part Number 68266-03
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...gnal-mount-kit

Part Number 68185-00
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...l-assembly-kit

Thanks for any input.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:10 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

If you did decide to relocate them you could do it for a lot less than either of those H-D kits.
On another bike I had last year, I just used two H-D manifold studs (p/n 16715-83) and moved them to the lower shroud bolts.
They were 5/16" studs about 2" long with different threads on each end - one coarse, one fine. I think I spent about $4.
The coarse end went into the fork, and the finer thread fit the turn signal housing.
Nothing to it. Hardest part was unplugging and re-routing your cables.

something like this:

Last edited by jam436; 02-28-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:36 PM
fettnersa
Tourer
Default Anyone with these installed

I also want to replace the rusty hardware and mounts for the turn signals. Anyone with these new kits??

Old 03-03-2015, 06:56 AM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I went with the second kit, it's a direct replacement for the OEM mounts and install is a piece of cake. just follow the directions.
The first kit will relocate your signals, believe it or not. It will move them up closer to your grips/levers, and out about an inch or so. I think somewhere in the description indicates this, but you can see how the swivel is relocated to the outside of the mount and up near the levers. I chose not to use that one due to my long fingers and I didn't want interference with grabbing the levers.
If you're not relocating the sigs now or right away...go for it, it really cleans up the area nicely. Don't over tighten, I must have had a bad batch because the chrome flaked off and I had to return for a new set. However, I did notice that the lock washer location differs between the pic on the website and the diagram in the instructions. I went with how it is in the instructions, and maybe that's why the chrome flaked off.

Last edited by BlessedHellride; 03-03-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

while I don't have any experience with either mounts, I'd go with the swivel ones.... gives you the option of aiming them.

I'm not a fan of relocating the turn signals to the forks... too METRIC looking for me.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Marc Odin
4th Gear
Default Did you have to cut the wires

Originally Posted by jam436
If you did decide to relocate them you could do it for a lot less than either of those H-D kits.
On another bike I had last year, I just used two H-D manifold studs (p/n 16715-83) and moved them to the lower shroud bolts.
They were 5/16" studs about 2" long with different threads on each end - one coarse, one fine. I think I spent about $4.
The coarse end went into the fork, and the finer thread fit the turn signal housing.

something like this:

Could you tell me what you had to do to relocate the wires

Old 08-09-2016, 10:20 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Odin
Could you tell me what you had to do to relocate the wires
I realize this is an old thread, but it has a new question. To begin with, the exhaust stud will not work on a newer FL Softail. The threads in your signal housing and in the fork are both 5/16 fine pitch (24 tpi). You will need to find 5/16 24tpi threaded rod and cut it to the desired length, when I did mine I drilled holes in the fork tin and used a rubber grommet to run the wires through. Then when I decided I didn't like the signals there...I was left with the hole in the tins and then the coating started to peel.
Take the easy way out. Buy a set of LED lights with 5/16 24tpi mounting studs and internal wires. You get the benefit of a brighter light and easy install. Looking back, this is what I would do now if moving the signals to the forks. Here is a link to some great signals.
http://www.hightechspeed.com/products/XArc/index.asp

Last edited by FLS103; 08-09-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Marc Odin
4th Gear
Default One more question thank you

Originally Posted by FLS103
I realize this is an old thread, but it has a new question. To begin with, the exhaust stud will not work on a newer FL Softail. The threads in your signal housing and in the fork are both 5/16 fine pitch (24 tpi). You will need to find 5/16 24tpi threaded rod and cut it to the desired length, when I did mine I drilled holes in the fork tin and used a rubber grommet to run the wires through. Then when I decided I didn't like the signals there...I was left with the hole in the tins and then the coating started to peel.
Take the easy way out. Buy a set of LED lights with 5/16 24tpi mounting studs and internal wires. You get the benefit of a brighter light and easy install. Looking back, this is what I would do now if moving the signals to the forks. Here is a link to some great signals.
http://www.hightechspeed.com/products/XArc/index.asp
Did you have to use 2 nut how to tighten it down for each signal

Old 08-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by jam436

something like this:
Clever idea, but on my Softail, the fine thread goes into the lower fork tree and the coarse thread fits the turn signal. Standard engineering practice is fine threads in hardened steel (exhaust flange nuts or fork trees) and coarse threads in aluminum (cylinder heads) or pot metal (turn signals).

Old 08-10-2016, 03:06 PM
Marc Odin
4th Gear
Default Will not work

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Clever idea, but on my Softail, the fine thread goes into the lower fork tree and the coarse thread fits the turn signal. Standard engineering practice is fine threads in hardened steel (exhaust flange nuts or fork trees) and coarse threads in aluminum (cylinder heads) or pot metal (turn signals).
It will not work they're both fine thread in the newer bikes

Quick Reply: Front signal mounts