Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear bag guards

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:25 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Hey Bone Doc, my bike is an 06, so do I order 06 springer bag guards?
Hey Tony,

It sounds like you have a sweet trip planned. Remember, safety first.

Here are your three options in saddlebag guards:
1. Deluxe guards
Part # 49360-08

2. Heritage guards (these are the ones I have)
Part # 49261-00A

3. Springer guards (these are the ones kneesinthebreeze has)
Part # 49258-00A

I happen to like the look of larger bags. Stock Deluxe saddlebags are small compared to mine or knees. I think that the Deluxe guards would exaggerate the small size of the Deluxe bags. If you compare the Deluxe guards to the other two, they look a bit smaller top to bottom (at last to me).

Therefore, I prefer either the Heritage or Springer bars. If the pictures are true, the Springer guards look like they are a smaller diameter than the Heritage ones. I chose the Heritage guards so they would match my engine guard.

So, to (finally) answer your question, yes, I think the Springer guards would look very nice on your bike. Like you haven’t spent enough money on your bike already, open the wallet and buy them.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:52 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I already called my parts buddy at home after I get your message. I gave him the part number for the springer guards. I he doesn't have them he will order them for me. Thanks Doc

Old 03-31-2015, 07:12 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Hey doc, my leatherpro bags are more similar to your stock heritage bags than springer bags. I am also looking for bag bars. I am thinking that heritage bars might be a better fit. My concern is rubbing the bag and not being able to remove my bags with the bars on. Do you have any closeup pics from above and straight on. Any measurements from off the fender to the guards? Anything may help. Between the pics I have already found here, yours and knees, I may be getting some idea between the springer and heritage bars. Thanks

Old 03-31-2015, 04:27 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just ordered the Springer bar and I'm not going to be running any bags. I would think you could still have a "quick attach" set up and be able to put on or take off your bags without having to remove the bar. I will not swear to that though.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:29 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cocky
Hey doc, my leatherpro bags are more similar to your stock heritage bags than springer bags. I am also looking for bag bars. I am thinking that heritage bars might be a better fit. My concern is rubbing the bag and not being able to remove my bags with the bars on. Do you have any closeup pics from above and straight on. Any measurements from off the fender to the guards? Anything may help. Between the pics I have already found here, yours and knees, I may be getting some idea between the springer and heritage bars. Thanks
cocky,

Your saddlebags are very nice. Goes with that good looking bike. Below are some pics that may help. These were pictures I already had so they may not be ideal for what you are needing. Sorry about the dirty bags and chrome.

Boog

Old 03-31-2015, 08:47 PM
Krustee
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Question for Bone Doc. Is the end of that tape measure against the fender or the strut? Hard to tell from the pic. I've got the same bags as Cocky and also thinking about Heritage guards.

Dan

Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Krustee
Question for Bone Doc. Is the end of that tape measure against the fender or the strut? Hard to tell from the pic. I've got the same bags as Cocky and also thinking about Heritage guards.

Dan
Dan,

You had to ask that? It's an old picture I had. I can't tell you why I was taking that measurement in the first place. Secondly, I can't tell you why I would take a picture of the measurement. Thirdly, I can't tell you why I would save the picture that I can't tell you why I took of the measurement I can't explain. Lastly, I couldn't tell you where the end of the tape measure was.

So.... you had me curious. I went to the garage and made a definitive measurement. I didn't take a picture of it this time so I wouldn't be confused in the future. The funny thing is that I couldn't duplicate the 8 1/2" measurement shown in the picture. The closest to it was from the rear lip of the saddlebag to the outside edge of the saddlebag guard.

Here's your measurement:
From the fender to the outside edge of the saddlebag guard is 10 3/4".

Boog

Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 PM
Krustee
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to measure. Sounds like you're a lot like me. Check my sig line.

Dan

Old 03-31-2015, 11:36 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Krustee
Thanks for taking the time to measure. Sounds like you're a lot like me. Check my sig line.

Dan
You're welcome, Dan. I read your sig line and laughed. You almost have to read it twice to fully comprehend it.

Good luck in your choice of guards.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:24 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks doc. That's the main measurement I have looking for. Its probably a crap shot between the two. The deluxe ones are out for me, so its between the heritage and springer. From the design of my bags being closer to the heritages as opposed to springer (which was my intention), I think I may be better off trying the heritage ones. Plus i like the bigger diameter so, I will wait until surdyke HD has a free shipping hoplah going on to order.

Quick Reply: Rear bag guards