Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Breakout Fenders / Custom Paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:03 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Helluva nice project start- I can't wait to see the pics. It's nice to see someone doing something creative, high end and different. I like the leather on your dash, I'm about to finish covering mine in 3M carbon fiber. Anything looks better than that sad black rubber..

Old 04-03-2015, 07:16 PM
LACOUNTRYHICK
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
If you are familiar with the Breakout, you know the gas tank console is hideous and should not have been released.

The popular option has become to replace the console with a blackline console. Due to that popularity, I went a different option.

I sent my console to Chris http://www.threemuttscustoms.com/

Chris covered my console in a black leather. I'm kind of second guessing and thinking I may should have tried to cover it with an alligator leather, but none the less Chris did an excellent job.

Quick question, how are you going to affix the tank strap back down to the tank? Mine is currently coming up.

Attached Thumbnails Custom Breakout Fenders / Custom Paint-image.jpg  
Old 04-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Helluva nice project start- I can't wait to see the pics. It's nice to see someone doing something creative, high end and different. I like the leather on your dash, I'm about to finish covering mine in 3M carbon fiber. Anything looks better than that sad black rubber..
Yours is pretty sweet also.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LACOUNTRYHICK
Quick question, how are you going to affix the tank strap back down to the tank? Mine is currently coming up.
Looks like you need to remove your seat and glue it back to the backing and make sure it is secured with the screw at the bottom.

When he covered mine with leather I told him it was bowing away from the tank. He took out some of the curve and added a little length to the bottom to assure the screw had a good bite to hold it down.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:08 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

What I did was use a big fender washer under that rear screw - it's about 1" round, thin, and has a small 1/4" hole in it- Home Depot or Autozone. the extra spread from the wide washer holds that curve down nicely.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:29 PM
jtaliani
Cruiser

This is going to be an exciting thread to follow! I've been hoping you'd start your own to detail the project. Everything sounds excellent.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:11 PM
LACOUNTRYHICK
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
What I did was use a big fender washer under that rear screw - it's about 1" round, thin, and has a small 1/4" hole in it- Home Depot or Autozone. the extra spread from the wide washer holds that curve down nicely.
Thanks to both of you. I'll try this out.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:06 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
I believe it was less expensive. Plus hundreds of people dont have the exact same fenders as I do.
Very true, I've mentioned to a couple of people in the past who want a Heartland type rear fender but have been put off by cost to get a local tin basher to make one up to their own design, as you say it would be cheaper and unique.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:56 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Here is my non-elegant, 10-cent fix for keeping the lower part of the Breakout dash piece nice and snug against the tank. Plain 'ol fender washer with 1/4" hole in it, and use some bolt cutters to nip off a flat section so it clears the bolt below it.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Jeff71
Advanced

Nice work Pigbacon! You going to have this all back together and ready for the Pipes and Tails show on 4/18?

Quick Reply: Custom Breakout Fenders / Custom Paint