Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra glide to a Softail, Any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:33 AM
PaulFLHTC
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electra glide to a Softail, Any regrets?

I currently have a 2008 FLHTC that I purchased to accommodate my wife riding with me. Always wanted a Heritage but she wanted comfort. Now she has her own Harley and I'm thinking about trading for a new Heritage to finally get what I originally thought I wanted. Has anyone here done this and had regrets? The FLHTC is a nice ride but seems very bulky and not fitting the ride around town short type of riding I like to do.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:31 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

My deluxe is similar and i fell like I'm in it, not on it. Luv the ride coming from dyna. Go to a dealer and test ride.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:37 AM
rkblues
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own both.
Take a Heritage for a test ride. Much lighter and lower and easier to back up.
I really like the Heritage and decided to keep it. Glade I did.
I also have a Ultra.
A little less buffeting at 80 mph. Better handling at speed.
A lot less scraping the floor boards.
Just depends on my mood and where I'm going as to which bike I take out.

Last edited by rkblues; 04-18-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:25 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rkblues
I own both.
Take a Heritage for a test ride. Much lighter and lower and easier to back up.
I really like the Heritage and decided to keep it. Glade I did.
I also have a Ultra.
A little less buffeting at 80 mph. Better handling at speed.
A lot less scraping the floor boards.
Just depends on my mood and where I'm going as to which bike I take out.
I have a Roadking and a Softail Deluxe. They are very different rides and that's why I have one of each.

Everything rkblues said is correct. I use the Roadking for long hauls but it's comfortable around town. The Deluxe is at its best around town, but I've used it for distances too. More vibration above 70 and not as cushy a ride. It feels a lot lighter (although it's a little over 100-150 lbs. difference) around town due to the low center of gravity.

The 2005 Deluxe only has 10K miles on it, as the Roadking is usually my first choice. But the Deluxe is a fun ride and I enjoy it for a change. It's more of an old school ride.

If you like to ride around town, you may be happier with the Heritage.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:45 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I traded my 2012 Streetglide for a 2014 Heritage, very glad to be back on a Softail. The FLHX was great for long distance, but it was not comfortable around town, where I now do most of my riding. The high center of gravity and greater weight made two up manuvering a bit of a pain, and the paint shaker vibrations at stop lights made my hands go numb! The Heritage does everything I need, and is smooth as silk at any legal speed. I'm gonna stick with Softails from now on, or until I need a three wheeler!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:21 AM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a 13RGU and a 15 Fatboy. As said above the Softail is great for around town and cruising country roads plus its not top heavy - reminds me what Harleys felt like 40 yrs ago.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:25 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I went from a Fat Boy to my current Road King. The King is a fantastic sled. That said, I wish I would have stuck with my Softail. Two up, the Road King absolutely rules, but other than that, IMHO, the Fat Boy wins everything else, every time.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:58 AM
PaulFLHTC
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the information and responses. Always wanted Heritage because of the look, I like leather over chrome, Now I have the opportunity to get what I think I want, I don't want to be regretting it. Found out I'm not really into touring and I belive the Heritage is the way to go for what I like to do. I'll let you know what I decided. Thanks again.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
I traded my 2012 Streetglide for a 2014 Heritage, very glad to be back on a Softail. The FLHX was great for long distance, but it was not comfortable around town, where I now do most of my riding. The high center of gravity and greater weight made two up manuvering a bit of a pain, and the paint shaker vibrations at stop lights made my hands go numb! The Heritage does everything I need, and is smooth as silk at any legal speed. I'm gonna stick with Softails from now on, or until I need a three wheeler!
This! Excellent post. I too purchase tourers (09 RKC and 2012 limited) for my wife who felt she would ride more if she was more comfortable but later realized she hated the vibrations at idle on the tours. I did A LOT of reasearch on softails before test riding one and after test riding a fatboy lo I couldn't wait to trade in my Limited for a softail. I just didn't know which softail. The Deluxe, Fatboy, and Heritage were my favorites but it came down to which one would fit me best. I choose the Heritage because I do long rides and the heritage is the only softail bagger so that's what I got. This forum helped a lot in making my decision because most the owners her give honest reviews without having to bash other motorcycles.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:24 AM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a 2009 Street Glide and traded it in for a 2010 Heritage and never regretted it. I love the balanced motor without all that vibration going on and the ability to drive in town and as well as a tourer. The seat position is great and I like the look of the ole skool look of a softail. Test ride one, you won't be disappointed…..

Quick Reply: Electra glide to a Softail, Any regrets?